Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New screen resolutions are going to be high-res than print.

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

I put together this chart recently. Looks like for the first time ever, digital displays are going to be higher resolution than print. This is going to have a big affect on traditional design work flows.

byebyepixels.png
    http://bit.ly/cHHCxf

Interesting times. Any thoughts on how this might change things for designers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don't think it will mean any major changes to how designers work. Might even make it easier.

There is a great article here on the limitations of the human eye and how much it can actually see. You might be surprised at the results. For example.... with 20/20 vision and in perfect lighting, the human eye can not distinguish anything above 180dpi from more than 18" away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I really fail to see the relevance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Scotty # wrote: »
    I don't think it will mean any major changes to how designers work. Might even make it easier.

There is a great article here on the limitations of the human eye and how much it can actually see. You might be surprised at the results. For example.... with 20/20 vision and in perfect lighting, the human eye can not distinguish anything above 180dpi from more than 18" away.
    Thanks for the link, I think for closer than 18" it's more like 400dpi is where it maxes out. I think it'll affect print designers a bit, as this previously worked to their advantage.
    Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I really fail to see the relevance of this.
    Well then refrain from commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

p wrote: »
    Well then refrain from commenting.

Well, your chart just shows an obvious trend,

the conclusions in the blog are a bit sensationalist ("disruptive shift in technology", "radical shift that will have a huge impact", "seismic shift")

and the title "Bye bye pixels" makes no sense as digital displays always have and always will be based on pixels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not to mention the massive bandwidth required for high-res images, etc.

Given the number of people on mobile mid-band and copper-based 1 meg connections, this is gonna be off-limits for production sites for quite a while.

Not to mention being a suicide note for photography websites.....if the site delivers a high-res, then no-one would buy images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It might have an impact on some niches, but how many people are still using older equipment?

Apart from gamers, techies and graphics aficionados, how many people upgrade their monitors and graphic cards regularly?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Well, your chart just shows an obvious trend,

the conclusions in the blog are a bit sensationalist ("disruptive shift in technology", "radical shift that will have a huge impact", "seismic shift")

and the title "Bye bye pixels" makes no sense as digital displays always have and always will be based on pixels.

agreed, it's just rubbishy buzz words for the sake of it with not even the slightest tangible example of the massively radical disruptive tectonic shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

copacetic wrote: »
    agreed, it's just rubbishy buzz words for the sake of it with not even the slightest tangible example of the massively radical disruptive tectonic shift.
    The radical shift is from a designers perspective, not from a user's perspective, which is why you may not see it as important to you.

It's going to change a lot of things in the traditional role between graphic designers and web designers. And since we're in a professional forum, discussing how technology will change our practices and workflows is a interesting topic.

Advertisement