Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Dublin Sentiment

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

I just saw the "Cork Girls" thread is closed. And some of what I read there was shocking.

Can someone explain to me, without being childish or abusive, why there is so much anti-Dublin sentiment in Cork?

I don't find that there is huge anti-Cork sentiment in Dublin. I think the worst you might get would be a slagging. But according to the other thread a Dubliner could expect slagging, a beating or a pitched battle?

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Mountain out a mole hill comes to mind, and like any city in the world if you wan't it you will find it

Many dubs honestly view folks from Cork City as culchies, even though they may be miles and miles from Dublin City themselves, such dubs are hated by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 doodd

I'm from Cork living in Dublin.

I wouldn't say there is an anti Cork sentiment up here but they do give us a bit of stick. Many Dubs fail to recognise anywhere outside of Dublin as being a city or Urban area. I know a lot of Dubs who would rarely leave the county unless travelling abroad.
    A lot of them do write off the rest of the country as cultie land. It is odd because if all the people from the country and abroad left Dublin suddenly the population of the county would probably halve!

Funkfield wrote: »

Can someone explain to me, without being childish or abusive, why there is so much anti-Dublin sentiment in Cork?

Irony........

you posted this........

That being said I have only ever heard the one Cork accent. And as Tommy Tiernan says, it sounds like a traveler trying to speak French

and thanked this .........

Cork wimin are generaly easier to mount than a small pony.

And you want us to explain the anti dublin sentiment without being childish, are you for f**king real ?

i know plenty of dubs who come to cork and love it.

its the scumbag dubs that come down and look for trouble are the culprits.

i hate the jazz weekend cos the dubs come down and think they have rule over the city and cos ****. i remember one year dubs outside havannas shouting cork langers at everyone that walked past, i'm sure they got the reaction they wanted and got a beating.

that said theres lots of dubs around cork, prob the scumbags in cork that cause **** abroad i'm pretty sure they cause an anti-cork sentiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

RoverJames wrote: »
    Many dubs honestly view folks from Cork City as culchies, even though they may be miles and miles from Dublin City themselves, such dubs are hated by us.

Don't take it personally - everybody outside Dublin is a culchie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I (a dub) lived in Cork city for two years and found the only real anti Dub sentiment was from Taxi men :confused:

Ah, so you're from Dublin is it?...... I think <insert random reason why Cork is better than Dublin>

IMHO Cork may be a city, but it doesn't have the feeling of a city. I was quite surprised at how small it was and how the feeling of a big country town pervaded when I lived there. A nice place, but the accent took some getting used to (I worked with a guy from Gurranabraher!)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Many tourists consider Cork to be a friendlier city than Dublin.By european standards Dublin is a hovel and by far Europes most ugliest capital city.As for the locals i have never met such a shower of self loving and egotistical tools in all my life.We may have thugs in Cork but they are nothing compared to some of the lowlife that the city of Dublin has produced over the years.At least we don't murder members of immigrant communities in Cork.Those jacks have some cheek in that other thread calling Cork a rough place.If ye have a problem with Cork then stick with going to yere second home Waterford.

Dyflin wrote: »
    I was quite surprised at how small it was and how the feeling of a big country town pervaded when I lived there.

This is why there is an anti Dublin sentiment in Cork. A big country town, in all fairness. Aside from Grafton Street Dublin is a disgrace, the Quays and O Connell street are shooting galleries and homeless folks parades respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

RoverJames wrote: »
    This is why there is an anti Dublin sentiment in Cork. A big country town, in all fairness. Aside from Grafton Street Dublin is a disgrace, the Quays and O Connell street are shooting galleries and homeless folks parades respectively.

Grafton Street is the only Dublin street i would feel safe on.I also agree with you about the quays but then again Merchants Quay in Cork is quite a dodgy street.

• Advertisement

In the PM Merchants Quay can seem quite dodgy, I never felt unsafe in Dublin City but thought it was just a dirty hole full of scum except for the main thoroughfares. I would think tourists would find Cork far better than Dublin. What I find funny is all these Dubs from miles and miles away from the City who rarely go into it consider all of Cork City folk as culchies. Most Cork folk use the city centre regularly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Funkfield wrote: »
    I just saw the "Cork Girls" thread is closed. And some of what I read there was shocking.

I don't find that there is huge anti-Cork sentiment in Dublin. I think the worst you might get would be a slagging. But according to the other thread a Dubliner could expect slagging, a beating or a pitched battle?

:confused::confused::confused:

Threads are usually closed for a reason. Please dont raise a similar debate based off a closed thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement