Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Byrne 200, 30/5/2010

• 21-05-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

In my humble opinion, the best ride on the audax calendar, and quite possibly the toughest 200 in the country. It covers a lot of the same territory as the Wicklow 200 but on more interesting roads, with more climbing, and with much, much better catering, at less than half the cost. What's not to like?

http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/audax/mick-byrne-randonee-2010/

Starts in Dalkey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Sounds like a world of pain. Count me in provisionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

rottenhat wrote: »
    In my humble opinion, the best ride on the audax calendar.

Starts in Dalkey.
    In my humble opinion, ... quite possibly the toughest 200 in the country.

Agreed with rottenhat on both points. Probably my number one cycle of the year. Really annoyed that I'm going to have to give a miss this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I 'll be doing the 100, do you know if we can email the form or it's post only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Very in for the 160 ot the 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

AstraMonti wrote: »

Ask the main man himself at podluna@hotmail.com - you might let the forum know when he replies. Previous years I told him in advance I was coming and he had a card ready for me when I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is there a map? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Please note that the 200k is over an extremely difficult route. It is all climbing with no respite

I noticed last summer that for weeks after this every one of those little MBs I came across was invariably pointing up some hill..... :rolleyes:

Chapeau to everyone who does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I think I am in for the 160km, out the night before so might down grade to the 100 and get an extra hour in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

AstraMonti wrote: »

Enteries on the day last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

I noticed last summer that for weeks after this every one of those little MBs I came across was invariably pointing up some hill..... :rolleyes:

Chapeau to everyone who does it.

Correct the only flat bit was the roll out of the GAA grounds in Dalkey.....seriously we were climbing within 100 - 200 metres of start..LOVELY:D

BUT..... Saying that.... a most enjoyable event excellently organised and looking forward to doing it again

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Enteries on the day last year

yes, but
    Pre-entry is encouraged, as depending on how may pre-enter, we may decide to close entries when we reach a number that we feel is beyond what we can cater for well.

At the very least, you should drop Paul an email to let him know you're planning on entering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Only found about this event this year, fuming that I will be out of the county so will miss it. Sounds really good. Had even got some others to agree to it and only tehn found out I couldn't do it!!!!

Looking at the two routes, it certainly seems (based purely on the map) that this is more difficult than the W200. If anything, it seems that the W200 is 'dumbing' down, far too much cycling around Blessington when it really should be sticking to a figure of 8 of Sally Gap, seen as it claims to be like a stage of the tour. Maybe they are catering more for the more lesiure end of the cycling ability range but then you can't claim to be the toughest.

Certainly will be marking MB200 down on the calender for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is tougher than the Wicklow 200, no question about that. A lot of climbing at the very end. It is also a full 200km unlike the Wicklow 200. My Garmin conked out 10km from the finish. Great event; I did it two years ago.

MickByrne200Elevation.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Sorry I'm missing it this year. It was a great day for it last year and it's a lovely route, particularly the 200. A lot of us got lost at the Barnbawn triangle, though. They say there are some entrants still out there... somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Only the ones related to you,Rughdh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Thats sunday boxed off for me ! cant wait to get back onto the bike for a long day in the saddle haha

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Can't make this one I'm afraid. Lining up to do REK400, WW200 and 3 passes 600 on the 3 weekends after MB200, so I don't think I would get away with 4 weeks in a row !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Who's all heading along to this @ the weekend then? anyone know ball park total climbing figure on the 200?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

... anyone know ball park total climbing figure on the 200?

Over 3000m according to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Who's all heading along to this @ the weekend then? anyone know ball park total climbing figure on the 200?

I'm in. Not sure about distance yet,160 or 200:confused:.

I'm in. Not sure about distance yet,160 or 200:confused:.
    i ll do 160 i think.
    that's what i did last year and it was hard ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'll be helping out with the watery tea and weak coffee at the finish.
    See y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

I'm planning on doing the 160km route. Does anyone have any info on the route I know it's on the webpage but I don't know the area.

What's the climbing like? Many hills?

keano007 wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing the 160km route. Does anyone have any info on the route I know it's on the webpage but I don't know the area.

What's the climbing like? Many hills?

I think this is the route http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dalkey/867127444112558635 the main climb will be from Laragh up to SallyGap (around 20km drag) there are a few other lumps along the way.

On the map ignore the start/end sections in Dalkey Village as from the road markings I saw when in Dalkey the other day it looks like there have been some diversions due to the road closure of Vico road.

Step up, chaps, if you can do the 160, you can do the 200 (GPS readings give it about 3300m climbing, Nietzchean). You miss the best climb of the day on the shorter route.

Whats the best climb of the day going to be ?

levitronix wrote: »
    Whats the best climb of the day going to be ?

After Aughrim, you climb up through Macreddin village and along what I assume is the southern side of Slieve Maan - great views of southern Wicklow from the top.

Ahh i thought there was some little climb i didnt about :( some kinda bonus climb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

anyone know if you can still just 'turn up for this'?
    have been away and never got an entry in....thanks

Ryder wrote: »
    anyone know if you can still just 'turn up for this'?
    have been away and never got an entry in....thanks
    Ask the main man himself at podluna@hotmail.com

They ll accept enteries on the day once you have the entry form printed out and filled in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I'm in for the 160. See y'all on the day.

... I might do a Slow 200 then.I will not be able to keep up with the boys though, so I will most likely do a slow-solo 200.

... I might do a Slow 200 then.I will not be able to keep up with the boys though, so I will most likely do a slow-solo 200.

Sandbagger.

• Advertisement

Sandbagger.

LOL I wish! Considering my Marmotte Diet has gone the other way around, I think my descending might be a little better, but that probably won't make up for my lack of climbing abilities.

Sorrento posted route maps on their site :) welcome to the 21st century!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sorrento posted route maps on their site :) welcome to the 21st century!

Just downloading them into my Garmin. I am NOT going wrong at THAT junction again.

@Caroline I'll happily do a slow 200. I was thinking along the same lines as yourself. No point killing myself trying to keep up with the uber distance guys and just plod along at my own pace.

@Caroline I'll happily do a slow 200. I was thinking along the same lines as yourself. No point killing myself trying to keep up with the uber distance guys and just plod along at my own Caroline's pace.
    I m in then :) See you on Sunday AM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I'm in for the 160, or possibly 200 if feeling good on Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll join Caroline_ie and The Tax Man if they don't mind me joining them on the leisurely version of the MB200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Dunno why i didn't see this thread before. Going to use the MB160 as prep for the W200, but it sounds like the MB200 is the one I should have been preparing for all along.

the wicklow is just a bigger event thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Ah-ha. So now I know what all those yellow arrows with MB beside them mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

hmms, didn't head out today as the forcast wasn't great, so might head out for the 160 tomorrow. I don't suppose anyone knows if you can get a full CI license for the year on the day as opposed to just the daily one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'll join Caroline_ie and The Tax Man if they don't mind me joining them on the leisurely version of the MB200

If it's ok I might join ye 3 at the back of the bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Eat up that porridge folks, you're gonna need it.

Looks nice out there, and Joe climate-change-is-a-commie-lie-to-deprive-you-of-your-pickup-truck Bastardi says we might get away without being rained on. :)

Well im grumpy and kinda tired and my farmers tan is in full blow but had a great day, sorrento really know how to orgainize a great event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

Brilliant event., cant find anything wrong. Thanks, see you next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

levitronix wrote: »
    Well im grumpy and kinda tired and my farmers tan is in full blow but had a great day, sorrento really know how to orgainize a great event

how'd your run go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement