Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Byrne 200, 30/5/2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Did the 160k today. Really enjoyable event, friendly, well-organised, good spread at the control stations.

Some of the roads, esp on Macreddin Hill were dodgy enough, but that's understandable I suppose given the winter we had & the state of the public finances.

Other than that, I can't say there were any issues. Definitely will try to be back next year, and hopefully will be more prepared for that last climb on Vico Rd/Victoria Rd - that was rough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Well i did an extra bonus 6km haha that i didnt sign up for !! the computer said avg of 25.75kph ride time of 7h 57min so all in all went well a little tougher that i expected but couldnt of had a better day :)

wondering does anyone have gps from the ride ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

how'd your run go?

oh my run run haha i ran to the car from the club house !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Great spin today on the 160km. 1 puncture & one blow-out at the end but 7:17 total, 6:19 on the bike; 25.4km/h average; 2270m climbing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35085571

Thanks to Sorrento for the organisation and grub!

Next year it's the 200km.

EE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well that was torture! Possibly the hardest cycle I have done.

Started off pretty well and was with Tom and Cadex in a pretty quick little group. After Tom stopped to fix a loose water bottle cage I hung around with them a bit longer, then had thoughts of "this is crazy, I can't stick this for another 100km!" So I sat up and was quickly joined by Tom, Levitronix and Cadex.

It was from here that everything went downhill.

Every little 3% rise in the road was torturous and I couldn't keep up with anyone. Cadex was an absolute hero and stuck around with me all the way up the Sally Gap and through Enniskerry. I wasn't feeling the best and felt like I needed my bed, so I decided at Kilternan that I was only a few km from my house and much to Cadex's disappointment decided not to cross the finish line. Showered, ate and collapsed into bed. Destroyed!!

Not much I can take away from today except much like on the Ardattin 200, this year has not seen me condition myself for longer cycles. Anything over about 120km and I run out of gas.

This event is certainly way harder than the W200, it really is up, up, up with some short sharp descents and then straight up again. The organization was amazing though. Excellent road markings and warnings at the food stops, all the jellys, energy bars, jaffa cakes, fig rolls, melon (yes, melon!) you could eat/carry. I really wish I had brought some Nuun or energy sachets, my engine does not run well on water. Just like the last Audax run by Paul and co. it makes you wonder why the Wicklow200 crowd can't follow their example. Sure, they are dealing with fewer numbers but they have fewer volunteers and facilities. 15 euro felt like I was robbing them!

Oh, my mediocre Garmin stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35122467 ... mmmm cramps.(avg power output dropped 30watts post cramp, sustained power output in a climb 50-100watts, bleh) Super slow but sure it'll do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh no, the audaxers killed Dirk. You b****rds!
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »

24.6kph over an extremely hilly 197km course is great going. I reckon that would have you doing the WW200 well under 7:30.
    Not much I can take away from today except much like on the Ardattin 200, this year has not seen me condition myself for longer cycles. Anything over about 120km and I run out of gas.

Sounds like you went too hard at the start and up the hills. Maybe you need a triple. ;)

Despite what I like to tell myself, decreasing training volume (hours on the bike) whilst focusing on intensity does lead to poorer endurance performance.

The solution is either to do more LSD, pace yourself better, or just avoid the longer events.

Do you want to (a) win the races and lose the non-races, or (b) win the non-races and lose the races?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Now, having done the event for a second time, this one without a minor crisis at 100k to pollute my thinking, I can definitely say this is the best event of the year. A hugely tough course on roads I'd never be on otherwise and phenomenal support at all the stops. All the cake and fruit and powerbars etc you could carry, encouragement, and a diverse cohort of riders taking it on. They'd even cheerfully check your tyre pressures! I saw every type there from ladies on hybrids doing their first 100k (over Sally Gap!) to hardened racers clearly aiming to bring the pain... From a certain Mr. Kimmage (respendant in the most awesomely PINK jersey I've ever see) to a guy in full LiveStrong gear.

My aim for the day way to see what I've got in terms of endurance these days. I am faster than I ever have been (not hard) but I had the gnawing doubt that it might have come at the expense of endurance. I did the Ardattin 200 and felt good, but tbh, the second half of that was done at a pace that felt slow enough to simulate nothing of the horrors I've signed up for. I wanted to get to the bottom of the barrel, that's the only way of knowing how deep it is. Right?

The Mick Byrne starts as it means to continue: uphill. Rottenhat was doing his usual "look at me! my bike weighs more than a fridge freezer and I can still fly up these hills" routine, and the group was stringing out. By the time we got to old long hill it was clear there were a few guys trying to win this completely non-competitive event. I was happy to let them set the pace and see how long I could take it. Sustainable? Time would tell.

It was all going so well when a stupid mechanical (damn bottle cage bolt, of all things) came undone and after a fiddly few minutes trying to get it right I knew that catching the group I was in would be nigh on impossible, and racing to the hilliest part of the course would be nigh on suicidal. I got in a group with Cadex, Levitronics and a couple of others. Kept the pace high but it still meant that I was only filling my bidons by the time the leading trio were pulling out of the next control point. I could have jumped straight on the bike and tried to get in with them, but there was melon. Mmm melon.

I spent the next part of the course, Slieve Mann and the (impossible to pace) Old Wicklow gap in the company of two couriers who totally failed to live up to their reputation as slow. In Laragh I ate too much and hung around too long. That led to some discomfort on the way up to the waterfall but I knew that things wold come back to me. The wind was such that I knew being in almost any group would be better than being on my own on the lonely lumpy plateau to the cross roads so myself and the two couriers shared some of the work. With 50km to go I was feeling as strong as I had felt all day and by the crossroads I decided to finish it strong a TT my way home, solo if necessary, and see what happened.

197km
    3131m gain (garmin)
    7:18 rolling time
    26.9kmph avg

Vico road nearly ended me. Sadists they are, having us come back that way. So, I felt good. Sligtly regretting not having hung on to the trio who cam in some 25 minutes ahead of me, but still think I got a lot out of it. Sore today anyway.

@Dirk - sorry for not taking your pleas for mercy more seriously. It's hard to tell when your complaining goes from being a useful coping mechanism to actually being a cry for help. Hope it's passed now and you're looking forward to the W200. Bring the compact though, ay?

Lumen wrote: »
    Do you want to (a) win the races and lose the non-races, or (b) win the non-races and lose the races?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Good God, that was tough...I had forgotten quite how tough. I had my brief moment of glory leading the troops out over Killiney hill and then waved Niceonetom, Dirk and Cadex a fond farewell as they steamed up Djouce leaving me coughing and choking in their wake. I rode with Nietzchean for a fair while until he started cramping up - not that I meant to ditch him, I just looked around after one of the shorter, nastier hills and he was nowhere to be seen. From then on I was mostly by myself, and I spent most of the day thinking that I'll need to get a lot more hills in between now and the Mille Cymru - too many long, flat audaxes, not enough hill repeats on Edmondstown Road.

Still, great day, terrific organisation from Sorrento with plenty of food at every control and well-marked roads, weather could hardly have been better. I get the impression that I was the only one who noticed, but at the start of the ride as we were climbing over Killiney Hill, there was a woman standing by the side of the road in her dressing gown with a sign thanking us for doing the ride, whom I take to have been Mick Byrne's widow. It's nice to think that it means something to her.

The Mick Byrne is a challenge in a way that few of the other Irish sportives and audaxes are - it's not just that there is more climbing than the likes of the Wicklow 200, it's that the constant succession of short steep hills doesn't give you any time to recover for the longer efforts. Once you're past Woodenbridge, there's going to be a lot of sweat and maybe some blood and tears to go with it, and when you get to Slieve Maan it's almost a relief because you're finally onto a steady climb you can settle into. Almost. A very satisfying ride to finish - I wouldn't necessarily want every 200 to be like it, but I'm glad this one is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Wooohoo!
    I was one of the 2 ladies cycling the 200. I decided to take it easy. And it was great because TaxMan and Jimm also decided to take it easy, so we took it easy together.
    I had done the 160 last year and needed to up my game.
    Best event of the year, best 200, best course, organisation, food, volunteers, crowd - just briliant.
    I came back quite fresh I have to say, but I hadn't pushed hard all day, so there was no surprise there :)
    Cycled 7km this morning on the fixie and my legs are fine... althought I will skip another cycle later and go to bed for a recovery early night :)

Thank you to Sorrento!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

The Mick Byrne 200 Audax.
    Fantastic day for it. Got bike ready on Saturday (and got chainwheel/ cranks, changed over by Skef. from the other bike, bike set up lovely now). Set alarm for 6 and slept badly. Anyway got up at 6 and cycled off at 7 to Dún Laoghaire for the start (20k). Met Empty, Rottenhat, Dirkvoodoo, NiceOneTom, Caroline, Doug and some of the others. After sign-on, headed off out at 08:10 on what is generally considered the toughest 200 in Ireland, with 2970m of pretty relentless climbing (route http://www.bikemap.net/route/509597). In fact, it starts with climbing straight away and the group got stretched. I joined up with Rottenhat and stuck with his group until after Djouce when there was a further split up. Managed to stick with the leading group for a bit but back was sore since last night and gave me trouble pretty much all day especially on tough climbs. As a result, I got dropped artound the Devil's Glen area and spent a long time on my own before meeting up with 3 lads who brought me along nicely to the first stop (in the forest at Conary, 68k). Headed off pretty quick with the main group then and eventually got split as I had to stop to pick up my rain jacket which fell out after particularly rough section of road! Met up again with same lads though the group didn't stick together. Met up with NiceoneTom who was in fine form and brought me back up to the group. This went along fine until some really tough but beautiful climb where I met Dirkvoodoo who was suffering (unusually for him). We went along as two 'crocks' - they say 'misery loves company'. We met up with the lads again at the Muchlagh Bridge stop (115k) which was followed by a 'hairy' descent with tight bends and crap roads. After this we had an OK spin for a while before heading up over Slieve Maan. This went fine for me (ibuprofen kicking in?) and I was happy with my climbing. After a fantastic descent there was some confusion about whether or not we had the 'Shay Elliott' to do as well. Turns out, we didn't so when we worked that out we headed off on the right route bringing me for one into unknown territory and over a tough enough drag, before eventually heading into Laragh for a well earned cuppa (142k). This is where we last saw NiceoneTom, who headed on. We saw Rottenhat and Doug as we were heading back out for the climb up by Glenmacnas to Sally Gap. This went well enough and I was feeling much better, though Dirkvoodoo was definitely suffering. I went past this pair in pink (his) and white (hers) which I later discovered was Paul Kimmage! Wish I said more than 'Howya' now. Could have asked him for his view on Lance or something.....I've now in some way cycled with 3 of Ireland's greats - Seán Kelly, Martin Earley and Paul Kimmage. Anyway, the run to Sally Gap was beautiful today and we even had the wind for some of it. Was a bit wary of the descent - did I mention I might have a crack in my front fork....?). We got down ok and headed off via Glencree to Enniskerry and homeward via the usual, Scalp etc. At Kiltiernan, Dirkvoodoo said he as 'done' and as he was nearer to home than the finish, he was going that way. This was a pity after all the effort he had put in, but he was having a tough day and felt sick. We parted then and I headed for the finish in Dalkey throwing whatever I had left into getting there. It was a good 'buzz', though I nearly fell foul of the directional marking on the road and had to ask for directions! The end bit of this run is pretty cruel with climbing but eventually got to the Clubhouse and got signed back in at 17:15. Nice cuppa again and a chat with NiceoneTom and some of the lads. Was offerred a lift by Doug but felt I should finish the day with the cycle back home and made it by 18:45. A cracking event, with fruit, drinks, water and snacks at the smaller stops and sambos, tea and the rest at the Laragh stop and the finish. Well organised, good directions, road markings etc., even the weather was sorted - great job all round.

Stats: (for the full day from home, event and back home again)
    Distance: 240.39, Cycle Time: 09:18:32, Elapsed: 11:45, Max: 67.1, Average: 25.8, Climbing: 2970m (from route info, presumably bit more with getting there and back ).
    I didn't remember to zero the computer for the event itself, but the elapsed was from 08:10 to 17:15 (09:05), don't know the Cycle Time and the Max and Average would be about the same.

Oh - this brings it to 642.859k for me this week!

A fantastic, well organised event - thanks lads.

@Rottenhat, Yes I did notice the lady with her walking stick and a little card with 'Thank You' written on it. Fair play to her, unfortunately bit hectic at that point. She asked us were there more to come and I said there were. Well done on the spin by the way.

Pics

More pics

These legs are NOT made for climbing ....

More pics 3

• Advertisement

More Pics 4

I agree with rottenhat, I think Slieve Mann was the easiest climb of the day: nice and steady, could see the end so it was a matter of finding the right pace and sticking at it.

My brake cables arrived this morning, good timing! I wanted to kiss my compact when I got home yesterday.

It was, long steady easy climb, no thinking involved, was very handy, missed it when we hit that roller after it, alternating between 1 and up to 17% good times...

It was, long steady easy climb, no thinking involved, was very handy, missed it when we hit that roller after it, alternating between 1 and up to 17% good times...

Yup, Shay Elliot would have been much better than that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

...didn't know this was on....but now I know why I passed so many of yee going in the opposite direction near the back of Slieve Mann....:)

• Advertisement

tomc wrote: »
    ...didn't know this was on....but now I know why I passed so many of yee going in the opposite direction near the back of Slieve Mann....:)
    I saw you :)

Yup, Shay Elliot would have been much better than that one.

easier for sure, though one of the best things about yesterday was that i'd been on so few of the climbs before, lots of new ground to suffer on in the future! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So I was prepared for once, followed all RottenHats advice, everything was bagged up, tools a plenty, got a nice saddle bag (well an improvised one but it would do the job. Planned to get up at 6:30 have a nice breakfast, judge the weather and suit up accordingly.

I woke at 5:30 and decided going back to bed would lead to my sleeping through the alarm, so I got up checked the weather, was pleased this was going to be a day for shorts and S/S so I went down for a bit of Insulin and breakfast, then the pain began.

My flatmate had stumbled in the night before so drunk he fell/stood on my bike in such away as to bend my rear derailleur hanger and my rear wheel. This was noticed at 6:30 as I had been dawdling on the net. I thought, trouble but do able, I have a spare wheel, this can be fixed. Alas no as I found out my lock ring tool would bolt grip as the threads on it were slightly wider than necessary and it wouldn't grip. Now it is 7 and I am well panicked, stupidity is about to kick in and all advice thrown out the window, I grab my work bike (fixed), change the saddle from one to the other, in such a panic I dropped the bolts in my kitchen, apparently into Narnia. After much searching involving lifting everything onto the kitchen table, I go to my room to find a regular bolt that will suffice and come back down.

Cycle down into UCD to get re print my reg form which I planned to do anyway but now I am running behind schedule. It should be noted at this point I rushed so much I ran out the door without a) my keys b) my sunglasses and c) my gloves.

Get into UCD, realise the time, 8?!?, how the hell did this happen? Ran out in my cleats grabbed the bike and flew down the N11. Got registered and my card and was on the road form the park at 8:20. Time to play catch up. It should be noted that when I get rushed and flustered I make tremendous mistakes ( right and left being my biggest enemies) 70meters before I turned the wrong way, corrected after a minute and back on the right road, ran past the Harbor road turn as I couldn't see the sign (hence why I wish I had my sunglasses). Half a km out and I already have added an extra 1km. Finally doubled back and got on the right path and the job was a foot.

Just to agree with everyone, the climbing starts immediately. But after my morning of humiliating errors, I was on my way. I got a few comments on the fixed but so far it wasn't to bad.

Then for my next humongous error, kept looking at the side of the road for the BBQ centre and was doing such a fair clip that I missed it completely ( I had yet to realise that the signs everyone says were so good were on the road, not like my other flatmate told, who said it was well signposted with the signs being in yellow and attached to signposts, yes, I am that stupid).

Got to Bray almost after a few worrying signs i was on the wrong path before I pulled into a couple who laughed and said it was behind me, around 5/10 minutes drive, whoop.

I realise now I could have cut across but I don't know the area too well and decided to get back to the course.

So everything is going well, caught a few lads doing the 200, they started at 9 though so I was quite a bit behind and not even 15km in. I was however doing about 28/30km/hr on the flats and slight inclines, so I was pretty happy I'd catch up. I stayed together with these guys until about Enniskerry, I was overtaking them on the uphills and they were taking me on the downhills, it was an interesting game of Cat and Mouse but they were good company and it was appreciated, at Enniskerry though had to pull over as the auld blood sugar levels were dropping fast and hard and i waved good bye.

The next few km I found particularly taxing, still early but the one gear was troubling somewhat, but as I progressed onto Roundwood I met a few people who were happy for me to join them one Sorrento, one Willow Wheeler and one undeclared. The Willow Wheeler was impressed at my Fixed saying he'd shake my hand if I could pull it off but I admitted my lack of beleif in myself. That said these 3 men got my hopes up as I flew with them hitting high speeds on the downhills which was intense to say the least and keeping me upto 15 on the uphills but eventually the adrenaline or bravado wore off and I let them slowly slip away. I next joined with a set of guys from Bray Wheelers, about 8 of them, the guy beside me was a nice guy and so were some of the rest of them, but at least three of them were patronizing tw*ts, so I waved them past and slowed down as they were really ruining my day and the good spirit I had built up.

This would be a mistake as I again took a wrong turn and got as far as Ashford before I copped my error, I decided to look for the quickest way back to track, when a female Bray Wheeler pulled into give me a hand, I have to say she made me reassess my earlier harsh judgements as her help was instrumental. Headed for Glenealy and got back on track to meet up with a friend I had made at registration, 3 weeks before his 70th and he said he was just getting a bucketlist out of the way and was using the 160 to warm up for the WW200. He pointed out the signs to me as he laughed heartily at both my fixed and my eyesight but told me I was young so I should be fine. I did not mention that the biggest climb I met so far had me 5 seconds away from tears.

I arrived at the first control with 5 minutes to spare before I would have been too late. Pumped my tires (they were at 60PSI for some hated and unknown reason), with them back to full pressure I was feeling more confident. I had the choice now of the 160 or the 200, I got to the 160/2000 split and had a mild panic attack as I went straight through and decided I came out for 200 I was doing 200.

The next stretch involved the most lonely cycle I have ever encountered in my life. I was sure I could cope but every little bump felt like an epic journey, the earlier steep climbs were coming back to haunt me. But I was on time, the scenery was breath taking, and finally people started appearing, out walking, driving, I no longer felt alone, then, with no warning, there were downhills, steep long and at first welcome, until the point were my legs were just decoration as the bike was in control. Both hands firmly on brakes as I negotiated the potholes with the reflexes of someone reacting pretty darn quick ( I have no analogies but if you can think of one I'll edit this). Looked at my routesheet and time, I would make the second control, I would pry do it with an abundance of time to spare, my mood was lifted, I was in heaven.

BOOM, or something equivalent as my rear wheel clipped a pothole and decided that my good humour was to much to bare.

I pulled in flipped her over, took off the wheel, changed the tube and was shocked at how quickly it went only for the waving traffic on who were perplexed at this bright red man on a fixed, now covered in oil stains. Grabbed a few Biccies, bit of water and OJ and I was off again but something was wrong. I got off but the wheels were inline, although there was now a slight kink in my back wheel, it was still a tiny kink and seemed to spin OK. But when I was on my bike now it was trouble, down hill or uphill it felt like I was draggin a dead animal behind my bike, the effort was incredible.

Only 5km from the control, nice gentle uphill and scenery that would take your breath away, the auld hypoglycaemia had set in again, no matter how much I ate it wouldn't stay up. I got off loaded my rear pockets with enough sugar to feed every american child and just ploughed away, chawwing at powerbars and nutrigrains as I pulled myself up these relatively hills.

And then it happened, I made the bridge, no one was there, I figured they must be a bit further on, I pulled in and checked the time, I had missed them, by minutes but alas my dream was over, no reception and no one to call, I moved ahead.

It was still beautiful and I was still pretty buzzed so I was happy to continue at a more friendly pace, took the turn for Laragh up a lovely incline where the road looked like it had just survived mortar attack (2 minutes later I would see a sign cautioning that there was ammo testing right beside me), cars were still friendly as I felt my legs literally lifting the bike out of potholes and progressing at 5/6 inches a minute, and then it happened, I had to pop out as a car was coming down the road avoiding potholes and i couldn't hold balance enough to guarantee avoidance, so I popped out of my pedals to straighten up. This seemed OK but then I couldn't do it anymore, a pain kept shooting up my left leg when I tried to clip in and i also seemed to have lost the ability to clip in correctly completely overshooting it each time. I walked a bit to slightly leveller ground but the walking was causing ankle pain, I said it was just my head, so I tried again, up hills were over for me.

I stopped, took a break as a guy passed me by at 5km an hour, smiled and said, it doesn't look this bad on a map does it. I agreed.

I decided a day was a day, I was defeated, I would give Paul a call and admit defeat.

I had put the phone numbers that you use to admit your pulling out in my wallet. As it would happen my wallet had given up on the MB 200 long before me and had taken a rest in the early stages. I got to the top of a hill and finally had one bar of reception which I used to call my flatmate, to google anyone in the club to call to say I was out. At which point I got a text from one of the organisers to say they had my wallet but everyone was wondering where I was, they thought I had turned back to get my wallet. I gave the full story and said I would get a taxi back from Laragh and thanks for the day.

Within 10 minutes the broomwagon had me, plying me full of drink and food, I was so ashamed but grateful in so many ways. i was so happy, once in Dalkey I would get a taxi back but this was not to be. Since I had no car and I was obviously an eejit for trying this on a fixed they dropped me home. I offered money to pay for petrol, time etc. which was stubbornly refused. I then tricked myself into feeling better by demanding they give the meagre amount i offered to the charity, therefore alleviating me of any bad feelings.

120km of the course done, approximately 150km actually cycled.

In conclusion, 3 things I have learned from the Mick Byrne:

1) I am an idiot
    2) RottenHat is right with all of his advice and should not be disagreed with
    3) Sorrento run fantastic events and deserve a round of applause from everyone (especially to their collection service to whom I owe a great deal)

Big thanks also to Paul O Donoghue who offered loads of advice and help for the future, much appreciated.

Would I do it again?

Are you crazy......

..... you'd have to be if you think my answer would be anything but DEFINITELY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Fantastic event on Sun. Thanks to Sorrento for the excellent catering, fabulously friendly atmosphere and all round super professional organisation. It was without doubt the best event I have taken part in. Weather wise, you even managed to pick the perfect day.

I decided to test myself and do the 200km. I did 160km last year on the Dublin Wheelers tour on a hilly North Dublin/Meath route which was my longest ever, and did a 140km Vets tour in Wicklow 2 weeks ago which was my longest this year.

I was with a group about 10 mins behind the leaders, when PSSSHHHH rear wheel puncture just as we were crossing the reservoir after Roundwood. Worked away on it and thanks btw to all who asked if everything was ok (cyclists are nice people as we all know). Caroline_ie and The Tax Man stopped and helped me finish the job with the aid of Caroline’s excellent pump, and so the 3 of us set off again. Thankfully, there was a track pump at the 1st control so I got the tyre fully inflated (had only 60psi in it). I have to again complement the hospitality at the controls and food/drink stops where we were treated like pro riders, had our bikes taken off our hands, given chairs, and had our water bottles filled for us and tyres, etc. checked, oh and also some very welcome food.

Several excellent hours later myself and Caroline (The Tax Man sadly had enough with knee trouble just before the turn into Glencree) rolled into Killiney expecting to be nearly finished, only to be greeted by Sorrento's cruel trick involving a mini and very hilly Tour-de-Killiney/Dalkey. :eek: "The Ba****ds" screamed Caroline, hahaha. All is forgiven, as I know it was to get us over the 200km mark.:D

After collecting our certs. and massage vouchers, there was more refreshments at the clubhouse to end a fab day on the bike. As the last to finish there was also the added bonus of being offered some of the excess food and drink to take home, and I struggled to the car laden down with apples, bunches of bananas, cake and bottles of drinks.

Met The Tax Man again as I was leaving (hope the knee is improving)

Driving away from Dalkey, I think my head was still in cycling mode as I was still looking out for those yellow MB arrows at the junctions.:)

Thanks again Sorrento, already looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    In conclusion, 3 things I have learned from the Mick Byrne:

1) I am an idiot
    2) RottenHat is right with all of his advice and should not be disagreed with
    3) Sorrento run fantastic events and deserve a round of applause from everyone (especially to their collection service to whom I owe a great deal)

4) Somebody needs to find a new place to live.

Lumen wrote: »
    4) Somebody needs to find a new place to live.

It's funny cause it's true :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Anyone doing this, this year ?

gonna sign up for the 160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

here is some info for the 2011 outing http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/audax/mick-byrne-randonee-2011/

Might sign up for the 160, bit worried as I have not spent any time in the hills so far this year, hope to get in a 100km over the weekend and depending on how I feel afterwards I will decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I'm in, signed up for the 200. I did this one for the first time last year and I thought it was a really great spin, a nice route, great scenary with plenty of hills (the weather was prefect too). The food (and picnic) stops andn support laid on by Sorrento were top class. I think it came tops in a poll of "favourite sportives" on here last year. Looking forward to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DrGroove

I did it two years ago - the 200 - and had the lantern rouge snatched from me by Nice One Tom puncturing in Dalkey on the way home.

I am going to give the 200 a go this year - it was my fav sportive off that year. I am clearing myself of domestic DIY duties - once that is taken care off I will be entering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Working that weekend.....phew. ;) Bad memories from last year. One of the toughest yet best days you can spend on your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Profile looks great. One to do for sure.

Are there any food stops or is it all DIY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

extremely well stocked food stops along the route and at the end, plenty of cake for evyone:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Profile looks great. One to do for sure.

Are there any food stops or is it all DIY?

There are food stops on route that tie in with control points where your card is marked. It's a great event with plenty of climbs for you. Just don't enjoy the food too much,it'll slow you down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'd be a Sorrento member for a "few" years. Food..........too much, y'ed put on weight.
    Appartently it's a tough gig.
    We, or Paul O'Donoghue devised a gig that was tougher than than the "200"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'd love to but it's the day after the Beara 400, which would be a big ask. Although...back to Midleton by 2am, hop in the car, in Dublin by 5am, sleep for a couple of hours....

rottenhat wrote: »
    I'd love to but it's the day after the Beara 400, which would be a big ask. Although...back to Midleton by 2am, hop in the car, in Dublin by 5am, sleep for a couple of hours....

More than doable, I plan to go at a steady average of 17km/hr, hop in the car, drive up and sleep at the line of the Mick Byrne till it starts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Got the dates wrong looking at the thread title. A week earlier!

If I send my entry off to reach you before next weekend will that be fine?

Maybe post a new thread for this years event (haven't seen one)as folks might get confused looking at last years thread here.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thinking of doing the 160. How are entries going? Will it fill up or can I chance just showing up on the morning and signing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Think that the organisers would really appreciate if you could post in an entry as they have enough to be doing on the day of the event with such a large turnout expected.
    I call it the Tesco effect......every little bit helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

mvt wrote: »
    Think that the organisers would really appreciate if you could post in an entry as they have enough to be doing on the day of the event with such a large turnout expected.
    I call it the Tesco effect......every little bit helps :)

you doing it?
    just realised that it aint on the 30th .... I cant do the 23rd :(

Advertisement