Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tale of two cities, Waterford and Galway

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

can you not reply to everyone in one post? And cut out the regards nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

can you not reply to everyone in one post? And cut out the regards nonsense?
    No. I think that good posts deserve their own reply. There are exceptions.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Look at all of the major towns and cities, they all have busy squares.

John Robert's Square is underused, mainly because there are no bars with outside seating etc.

Well we lost Egans :(, but it would be nice if planning allowed for a few pubs there. I think you'd need at least 3/4 decent sized ones to allow for a buzz feel, all with outdoor seating.

Regarding ITs, Cork RTC gave up a stink, and when Micheal 'langer' Martin became minister for education he upgraded Cork, and then the rest. It totally undid the benefit. I'd love to send all the ITs, except DIT and WIT, to being call RTC.

As for Michael D., the establishment of TG4 skews the figures, but they did make the most of their linguistic heritage, and we should do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think if the will was there the Quays have huge potential.
    With the new bridge and other ways of diverting traffic away from the city centre theres no reason not to convert the quays into a major leisure area. The road area could be reduced - allowing restaurants and bars to have lots of outdoor seating. Possibility of boardwalks and other attractions could be looked into as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

bullpost wrote: »
    I think if the will was there the Quays have huge potential.
    With the new bridge and other ways of diverting traffic away from the city centre theres no reason not to convert the quays into a major leisure area. The road area could be reduced - allowing restaurants and bars to have lots of outdoor seating. Possibility of boardwalks and other attractions could be looked into as well.

You've hit the nail on the head there, we have a potentially magnificent waterfront, which is under-utilised and under-emphasised.

I've said it on other threads, but I think the comparison with Galway puts this in sharp relief: we have to transform the Quay and the Mall, first off by getting rid of parking from both these streets and making them one lane of traffic each way. Then we need to make the Quay and the Mall the cultural centre of the city -- which the council, in fairness, are making strides towards.

With the historical core done up, as promised, and the commercial area as is (for now), the city would have 3 separate dimensions to it. There is too much traffic on the Quay and on the Mall, and far too much parking. I think that making the thoroughfare from the junction to Rice bridge one lane each side for traffic and no parking, would open up the streets for people and tourists. The stretch of street would look very wide, and massive on the Quay, like it did in the 18th and 19th centuries, and not choked with traffic and parking. I think the affect would be very impressive, even before anything is built cafe or restaurant wise by the river.

With the bypass open, the Cork rd. is no longer a national primary route, and no longer serves the same function, so we should get the traffic out. Of course we should also build multi-story carparks as well to compensate for the loss of parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I agree with the Quays idea, and I mentioned outdoors seating myself. Lets not loose the run of ourselves re outdoor seating, we are still Ireland.

Another thing the quay allows for is the Marina practically in the city centre. As well as attracting cruises, maybe we could attract boat owners?

If I had lots of money this is what I'd do:

1) Get rid of car parks on the quay. Instead cover them with grass and put benches there.
    2) Excavate Ballybricken. Dig up all the mud, put an underground car park there, and then cover it back over again, so you'd never know there was a car park underneath. Maybe do the same at the Glen.

This way the Quay/Mall would be the 'leisure' part of the centre, and the rest would be the more practical shopping area.

Advertisement