Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly questions about School Uniform etc

Options
  • 21-05-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hi

Got my little one starting National School in Sept

Got a bit ' a land ' when the stuff arrived through the door . Have to go out and buy her uniform etc.

How many blouses etc would you buy ? I don't want to splash out on tons of staff that is only half used etc

Thanks

Sorry if the questions seem a little silly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Not silly at all.
    I am in the same boat with my little fella and don't have a clue of how much I need to buy.
    I was thinking of 2 jumpers, 2 pairs of trousers and about 5 shirts.
    But as I say I could be way off the mark
    Anyone?

Oh and about 10 boxes of tissues for his mother for his first day in school :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2/3 Shirts,
    School tracksuit,
    2 pairs of trousers or one does them a lot of the time.
    They grow quickly!!
    Make sure they are all machine washable too and can go in the drier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Shirts will come in packs of two which is usually enough.
    1 School jumper which should look a bit big on them the first day and need the cuffs turning up, black/brown shoes, for a skirt which is 2/3 inches below the knee and trouses which are a bit long and can be turned up.
    Is there a school track suit?

Mine would wear that to school two days a week and the school uniform the other three.
    The habit of getting changed out of the uniform when they comes in is a good one, cuts down on wear and tear or dinner on it and marks a clear end to the school day and can be a good way to put an emotional full stop between what has gone on in the school day and the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i went and got 5 shirts and three pinafores/cardigans.

too many tbh, there's a PE tracksuit, they wear it twice a week.

next year i'm just gonna get two of everything, its plenty because of the tracksuit, you can get the washes done in between easily. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

well what i find is my lad gets his jumper messy more than his trouser so ive got 2 jumpers, one trouser, one shirt, one PE polo shirt, one pe track bottoms, if its your first kid at school wait to see how he/she gets on in th efirst week of starting school, then you will know how they will get more dirty than others, just get the shirt, trouser/skirt , jumper/gardi.. main thing is not to panic buy cos you will end up with to much, ask to see if the shop will still have the said uniform in the later months as if and when you want to get more. some shops dont keep the bigger sizes, if they are gone thats it they wont get in anymore. cos the uniform shop in galway told me that last year. the parents were leaving it very late to get the stuff, agust . i got my gear in july. and ladys KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. you wont get any where if you lose them as to bring somthing back to exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My little one is in 1st class, we have one dress, 2 cardis, 3 shirts, 2 long sleeve 1 short sleeve for the warm days, tonnes of socks as there is a sock monster here and each year I buy about 5 ties, the sock monster must have a cousin staying:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

cats.life wrote: »
    and ladys KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. you wont get any where if you lose them as to bring somthing back to exchange.

Goodness me don't make assumptions ........

But good advice anyway thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I always buy my ladys jumper 1 or 2 sizes to big, she never wears it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I usually get 4 shirts. 2 with long sleeves and 2 with short sleeves.
    I get 2 pinafores and one cardigan.
    1 lot of the PE uniform (bottoms, t shirt and jumper).
    One pair of shoes and one pair of runners.

Loads of socks and tights.

I also try to buy the cardigans and PE jumper about 2 sizes too big as I usually get 2 years out of them then.

I also buy a cheap pair of boots for her to wear when it's raining heavily as she walks to school as the shoes don't always offer great protection.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Goodness me don't make assumptions ........

But good advice anyway thanks
    oh im sorry davidth88, i went on mad rant there.i to always get 2 sizes to big cos its a big exspence. this year our school is doing an uniform sale the day before the holidays.

• Advertisement

My little one is in 1st class, we have one dress, 2 cardis, 3 shirts, 2 long sleeve 1 short sleeve for the warm days, tonnes of socks as there is a sock monster here and each year I buy about 5 ties, the sock monster must have a cousin staying:o
    ah yes we have the sock monster aswell and a sixth class tie monster..they,r not that pushed about sox in our school,or the tie its just when its foto day like tomorrow, and comfirmation etc.. one day for pe for each class in the week.

Advertisement