Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of replacing window with sliding doors???

• 21-05-2010 1:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I have a back window on my kitchen that I would like to get knocked out and get a sliding door or french door put in.

So the job entails, taking out window, knocking out wall under window, putting in a door, then any plastering etc. that needs to be done to finish the walls.

I'm not in any way DIY minded so I need somebody to come in and do it all for me.

Would anybody be able to put up some costs of similar jobs that they got for this kind of job.

The first guy I asked said €4000 which seems a bit much to me. I might not be. I just don't know. But if it's €4000 I'll live with having it as a window.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

€4k !!:eek: i got, kitchen wall knocked down, toilet moved under stairs, window put under stairs, new double window put in wall, new roof with velux, plaster, paint, two rooms of floor tiles taken up and all the extra's, put in for 4k...yer man is a rip off !!

keep shopping around, get at least three quotes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

gaz wac wrote: »
    €4k !!:eek: i got, kitchen wall knocked down, toilet moved under stairs, window put under stairs, new double window put in wall, new roof with velux, plaster, paint, two rooms of floor tiles taken up and all the extra's, put in for 4k...yer man is a rip off !!

keep shopping around, get at least three quotes

Yeah I'm doing that. I got two bathrooms replaced last year for 4.5K so knocking a wall and replacing with a door for 4K seemed a bit pricey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

are you getting the sliding doors installed yourself or are you paying the 'builder' to do it? If I were you, I'd get a lad to price the knocking, and patching the reveals, and get the sliding door installed direct from a glazing company. I'd be paying no more than about a grand for him to sort out all that with materials, and sure the price of the sliding door would be somewhere around €1000 or so as well, depending on what you wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I have a back window on my kitchen that I would like to get knocked out and get a sliding door or french door put in.

So the job entails, taking out window, knocking out wall under window, putting in a door, then any plastering etc. that needs to be done to finish the walls.

I'm not in any way DIY minded so I need somebody to come in and do it all for me.

Would anybody be able to put up some costs of similar jobs that they got for this kind of job.

The first guy I asked said €4000 which seems a bit much to me. I might not be. I just don't know. But if it's €4000 I'll live with having it as a window.:D

E800. for the door,
    100 for materials
    150. for fitter
    750. for knock out including making good the opening.

Anyone quoting more than 2K show them the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

martinn123 wrote: »

Anyone quoting more than 2K show them the sliding door

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Thanks guys.

The companies I've asked for quotes seemed like proper organisations (no Cowboys R Us companies).

If it was €4000 I'll be using my window as a door.

At least I've got some ball park figures now to negotiate with.

Advertisement