Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I been done?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Bought 20 Marlboro lights/gold last night from a shop on Main St Dundrum. The shopkeeper handed me a soft pack the likes of which I've only seen in the States. I questioned this straight away as I've never ever gotten a soft pack in Ireland before. The shopkeeper said that he ordered Marlboro and thats what he received as they have the old branding. Marlboro have recently changed to new Marlboro Gold packaging. The soft pack appears to have the stamp duty sticker on them which is different from the new stamp duty sticker. The health warning on the soft pack is the exact same as on the pack of gold that I was finishing although the font size and type were smaller.

Has anyone here ever received a soft pack of Marlboro from a shop in Ireland or have I been done?

Images of soft pack and "new" Marlboro gold attached.

As an aside does anyone have an email address of cigarette distributors in Ireland as I'll take my enquiries there?

Soft pack
    marlboro%20-%20light%20-%20soft%20pack%202.jpg

Marlboro Gold
    http://62.15.226.148/tc/2009/08/16/14567065.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've never gotten a soft pack here,only ever in the US. I don't want to make allegations or anything but i wonder is the shopkeeper pulling a number and getting them bought in from somewhere else in Europe enabling him to make more profit. Much like you often pick up Polish Coca Cola for example,he could be getting someone to do runs to Spain for example and buy loads over there. Changing the Excise stamp is a lot of messing though.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Stamp is not the same as the "new" stamp though. Going to try follow this up with the distributor as it's bugging the sh!t out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Shop I work in had soft packs at one stage. They do exist over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I've got plenty of soft packs of marlboro reds from reputable retailers in my time. They exist here but are rare enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

A few months ago the Esso/ontherun garage up the road had gotten in soft pack marlboro reds it was all legit too looked almost exactly the same as the hard box even with the government warnings on them.

Just look at the pack and see if there is a warning from the surgeon general on them if they are you have bought american ciggarettes which is illegal because the irish warning is not on them that and no duties have been paid on them.
    Eg.(Not the irish warning but you get the idea)
    1169533781656.jpg

From the looks of the picture you put up you have been done because they would have cost the shop about 4 quid a box if not less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Evolute wrote: »
    From the looks of the picture you put up you have been done because they would have cost the shop about 4 quid a box if not less.

that pic he put up isn't the pic of his ciggies.

OP. post a pic or two of the pack you got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I don't understand how you would think you have been "done" anyway?

Do they taste the same as lights from a hard box? Do they contain the same amount of nicotine and tar? Did they cost the same as the box you bought the day before?

If this shopkeeper got sent a different box from his distributor, or if he is running a massive scam involving smuggling cartons in to the country and affixing forged custom stamps, does it affect you either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do you know what crap is in the genuine brands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I bought a pack in England at my local shop the other day.

I smoked one or two and then realised they were extremely harsh on my throat. No way were they Marlboro Lights. Not even foreign ones. I've smoked plenty of different "blends" of marlboro lights. This didnt come close.

( I was talking to a tobacco sales-rep for PMI in Asia and she said there were just under 200 official blends of Marlboro Light. It is a brand, not a product).

Did I go back and complain? Nope. I just wont buy them from that shop again. Many indian run shops in the UK offer counterfeit or imported cigarettes I found out later. It's just they usually offer a discount on them. I paid full price for un-smokeable cigarettes!
    Lesson learnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fabmorretti

Soft packs do exist in Ireland and are sometimes sent to retailers when stocks of the hard packs are low. Usually the retailer only finds out about this on receiving the delivery. The retailer can only return them the following week so in order to not lose any sales most of them probably flog the soft packs.

However, it might be worthwhile double checking the authenticity of the pack because Ive heard certain things about a particular shop in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i have got them in ireland before aswell,they are a fecking nuisance,if i have a standard empty box at home i swop as much as i can,
    i dont remember which shops but its happened a few times,
    as said above i assume these are only sent out as emergency supplies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

they are manufactured the same way. why do you care if the shop owner goes out of his way to make a few extra quid? dont be so miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

5Aces wrote: »
    they are manufactured the same way. why do you care if the shop owner goes out of his way to make a few extra quid? dont be so miserable.
    Because if they are going to pay €8 for Marlboro, they want Marlboro, and not something that could be Johnny Blue, Carrolls or what crap that was on the floor at the time.

Me, I smoke Amber Leaf, and would have gone back to the shop if I thought I was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joshua.

I've done the exact same thing. I asked for Marlboro reds and he denied me sale of them as I look young and didn't have i.d., but he then offered me the soft pack of marlboro lights. He told me that he makes more of a profit on those but I didn't really care as the product was the same and I found the novelty of a soft pack appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Joshua. wrote: »
    but he then offered me the soft pack of marlboro lights. He told me that he makes more of a profit on those but I didn't really care as the product was the same and I found the novelty of a soft pack appealing.

Wow That statement really stands out
    he wont sell you a pack or red but is willing to risk breaking the law to sell you a pack of lights that "he makes more profit" on.
    If I didnt know better he sounds like he should be on primetime investigates!

Advertisement