Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physotherapy - Masters or BSc

Options
  • 21-05-2010 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Ive just completed a 4 year honours degree in Physiology and have my heart set on studying physiotherapy in the UK. Ive already been offered the BSc 3 years in Teesside University but believe this would be a step backwards and the masters would be a natural progression. The masters programme is very difficult to get into as there are only about 20n place in each University. Has anybody experience of these courses or any tips to which would be better.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

I know a large number of people (~30 due to the nature of my undergrad course) who have gone/are going in Sept into an M.Sc in Physio in the UK.

Most of them have gone to Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh and a few to King's College London.

What I would advise is that if you have a 3 year course starting this year you should take it.

Otherwise, you are waiting a year to start a 2 year Masters course (if you get in at all and if you get in next year), so that route would take you 3 years anyway!

And it's not a usual M.Sc - it's no better than the B.Sc in Physio, you just get to say you (technically) have a masters. The Pre-Registration Masters (as opposed to a masters in a specific area of physio) and the 3 year course are both designed to provide you with enough training to become a registered physiotherapist, nothing more or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

The BSc would definitely not be a step backwards if I was you I'd be inclined to stay away from the masters and jump at the BSc while you have the opportunity. From working here and in the UK anecdotally the masters isn't as well respected as the BSc. This may be nothing more than snobbery but worth bearing in mind all the same as jobs are so tight at the minute!

Advertisement