Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Template for a North American CV..

Options
  • 21-05-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Anyone got any? Or possibly any suggestion?

Sorry if this had being asked before.

Cheers.

Jimmy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

P.S. In North America they are always supposed to be only one page right? I've looked up a few Resume Samples on the internet and some are two pages, some even three. I thought a strict rule was they had to be only one page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well I'm not sure about the other countries, but US has only one page. They don't like to read anymore, so you have to summarise and pinpoint like hell.

Here's a good sample: Resume 1
    and this one Resume 2.

I'm comparing these to my own which was made up by someone living in the US all their life with a lot of work experience.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Oh and call it a resume!

Cheers Lisa!

I am totally lost now!!! I've being looking up Canadian Resume's via Google and it appears 2 pages seems the standard. Also in terms of layout they seem to vary quite a bit from what i can see on the internet (which is unlike the Irish CV where there tends to be a strict format).

Oh dear, i am confused and bothered now big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

In north america its called a resume and one page is the ideal.

You can stretch to two if you really have to but honestly i'd keep it at one.

And yes, you can vary wildly. there's usually resume templates for different layouts, different occupations even.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    In north america its called a resume and one page is the ideal.

You can stretch to two if you really have to but honestly i'd keep it at one.

And yes, you can vary wildly. there's usually resume templates for different layouts, different occupations even.

Exactly!!This is what has me in a world of confusion! Gotta keep researching i suppose. On page just seems very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think it would be worthwhile trying to get a look at the resume of someone who is employed in your field to see what is expected. Mine is three pages, but I'm a scientist so there is one full page just for my publications.

I think it would be worthwhile trying to get a look at the resume of someone who is employed in your field to see what is expected. Mine is three pages, but I'm a scientist so there is one full page just for my publications.

I hear ya! Doing that currently - it appears there are two types over there - chronological and functional - one is time based and one is skills based. One is for people with a good bit of experience and the other appears to be grad based.

I have 3 years post Uni experience so not sure what category i fall into.

I just always had it in my head you HAD to have only page for North America but it appears i am wrong from my research online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• Selection committees for academic and research positions typically want an extensive CV that can go on for several highly detailed pages (This is from my Da who is university faculty and has sat on several selection committees).
    • Most private sector for profit companies and corporations prefer a 1-page resume for the initial pre-screening of candidates, followed by roughly 2-4 pages of a more detailed resume should the candidate be selected for the interview process (This is from a friend who is a VP of HR).
    • Executive recruiters, job employment services, and temporary placement agencies want 1-page resumes that they can rapidly circulate among potential employers (I know a head hunter).
    • Artists, models, actors, muscians, and related fields typically want a very creative introductory brochure, with snippits of the candidate's performances, later followed by a performance portfolio that samples creative works (This is from a talent agent I know).
    • Government posts normally have a standardized application forum that they focus upon, rather than resume or CV (Also from my VP of HR).

• Selection committees for academic and research positions typically want an extensive CV that can go on for several highly detailed pages (This is from my Da who is university faculty and has sat on several selection committees).
    • Most private sector for profit companies and corporations prefer a 1-page resume for the initial pre-screening of candidates, followed by roughly 2-4 pages of a more detailed resume should the candidate be selected for the interview and selection process (This is from a friend who is a VP of HR).
    • Artists, models, actors, muscians, and related fields typically want a very creative introductory brochure, with snippits of the candidate's performance, later followed by a performance portfolio that samples creative works (This is from a talent agent I know).
    • Government posts normally have a standardized application forum that they focus upon, rather than resume or CV.

I think i fit into the second category! I think i shall create two Resume's and just see how i get on really. It is obvious there is no defined CV like here.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I'm in the same boat myself. Need to make up a standard resume to hand out to employers in the states in September, but I'm having trouble finding a format that'll cover my education and work experience. I dont have any professional experience in what I'm qualified in as of yet.

As a rule of thumb, you dont include your date of birth or references correct? If you dont include references would you need copies of written references as a back up? My cv has been getting a good few hits on monster.com but I think its hindered somewhat by not being in resume format.

Anyone have any opinions on what I could do here or suggest a template?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

I'm in the same boat myself. Need to make up a standard resume to hand out to employers in the states in September, but I'm having trouble finding a format that'll cover my education and work experience. I dont have any professional experience in what I'm qualified in as of yet.

As a rule of thumb, you dont include your date of birth or references correct? If you dont include references would you need copies of written references as a back up? My cv has been getting a good few hits on monster.com but I think its hindered somewhat by not being in resume format.

Anyone have any opinions on what I could do here or suggest a template?

This is correct, it's illegal to ask your age, at the bottom of your resume include: References available on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I would not include "References available on request"; that is rather implied and if the employer did not ask for any then it seems like it is a waste of space.

There are different resumes for different purposes; an academic resume will look different from a resume for those in the legal profession.

What are you hoping to achieve with your resume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm heading over next month and am just doing up my resume now.

Should you include a few lines on hobbies and interests at the bottom of the page?

Also, should I include 'References available on request' or not. Some above have said yay, others nay :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

dceire wrote: »

Should you include a few lines on hobbies and interests at the bottom of the page?

Also, should I include 'References available on request' or not. Some above have said yay, others nay :confused:

No, they don't care what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I worked for awhile as a supervisor in retail.

One of the people who worked under me used me as a reference. He asked first, then eventually someone called me asking about what he was like to work with.

Letters of reference are better if they are addressed to a specific person, not "to whom it may concern"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

dceire wrote: »

Again, I say no. Then again, my resume was written for those within the corporate and/or legal world so it may be different for other industries.

I wouldn't mention anything about hobbies or interests. I would definitely mention any fluency you may have with a language other than English. That could be French, Welsh, whatever. I would also mention any type of certification or specialized training that you have recieved like First Aid or Mediation.

Advertisement