Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian motorists fined £216 for failing to lock their cars

• 21-05-2010 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"In a move that has been branded cruel and over-the-top by drivers, officers in the Yarra Ranges north east of Melbourne have warned careless car owners that they will be fined $358 (£216) if they don't properly secure their vehicles.

The police have introduced the fine in an attempt to slow the spiralling number of car break-ins
    ".

Anyone that doesn’t lock their car deserves what they get anyway. I would have no problem with cops fining someone that leave their keys in their ignition or their cars ticking over unattended as this encourages opportunist joy riders. For someone making frequent deliveries it could be a bit heavy handed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7735059/Australian-motorists-fined-216-for-failing-to-lock-their-cars.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so police will go around checking car doors are locked?

Sounds like a good use of their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would say more so for collecting a few extra bob when someone files a report that their car was broken into. Cops may inspect the car for proof of a break in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

F*ck sake ..

Some neighbourhoods your better off leaving it unlocked as they'll just smash a window or rip out the lock to get in ..

Or worse bend the door open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Reminds me of a time in the 70's when my uncle had a car he couldn't sell so he drove into Cork city and parked it up with the keys in the ignition hoping it'd get robbed. Went back a week later and it was still there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How do you break into a car that unlocked?

You'd want to be some dumb criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Isn't it already illegal in Ireland? Seem to remember NGA posting something along those lines recently.

If it's a delivery driver, they can always get timed slam locks fitted to the vehicle. Auto locks after 20 seconds or so - just need to make sure you have the keys with you when you get out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

R.O.R wrote: »
    Isn't it already illegal in Ireland? Seem to remember NGA posting something along those lines recently.

If it's a delivery driver, they can always get timed slam locks fitted to the vehicle. Auto locks after 20 seconds or so - just need to make sure you have the keys with you when you get out!

Its an offence to leave your keys in the ignition unattended. I don't know the statute though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i ctually thought the same thing...

Advertisement