Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB hard drive reliability in windows.

• 21-05-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

I have a dell optiplex running as a server. There is only space for oe internal drive but I need to add a second for nightly backups via batch script.

I'm wondering about outting a drive in an external enclosure and just attaching it via USB. How reliable would this be? Would the drive mount every time windows boots or would it be a little hit and miss? I'm assuming I will be able to assign a letter to the drive so it will have the same drive letter everytime.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Turn it on be4 you turn on pc ,it,ll be detected as drive e or f.Drives can break down anytime,but its unlikely the 2 drives, pc external would stop working on the same day.I,D recommend a 200gig hd with no power supply,works off usb power.But those drives are more expensive.
    Can you not buy a 1000gig hd and install it inside the pc as a slave drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

The computer is a Dell Optiplex desktop (slim) chassis and only has room for one 3.5" drive.

I may go down the USB route or else just upgrade the pc to a tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

techguy wrote: »
    The computer is a Dell Optiplex desktop (slim) chassis and only has room for one 3.5" drive.

I may go down the USB route or else just upgrade the pc to a tower.

Are you considered to use a NAS? For example THIS

You can collect some information from HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

I hadn't considered using NAS for one second because it would be too costly.

I'm just looknig for a cheap way to make a second HD available for saving database dumps..

Thanks for the input though :)

Advertisement