Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm sick of the northerly influence - its threatning my warm sunny summer

Options
  • 21-05-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi,

Question for the weather professionals. Why are we having such an influence from the north/north westerlies this year (sorry if this has been covered before). The south/westerlies are barely getting a nose in to keep us all warm (and well wetter which distracts my point a bit but...

See look at this week/next week. Lovely warm weather for the next 3 days and then next week the cold weather returns. I'm sick of the north winds, whats going on? is it the gulf stream or what?

A little exerpt from met.ie to demonstate my point.

"Turning cooler, with moderate northeast winds. Max. temperatures on Monday will range between 15 and 20 Celsius (coolest in the north), falling to between 12 and 18 C on Tuesday. Even cooler from Wednesday to Friday next, with temperatures in the low to mid teens. Continuing mostly dry, but a few scattered showers may occur, mainly in northern areas. Winds will be mostly moderate, north or northwest in direction"

Damn those northerlies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Damn those northerlies

I agree, but damn the whole weather of 2010 to hell as well. Never have I known such a stretch of unrelentingly boring weather than what has occurred since last December. Every month, bar April, has been drier than average ( and all that rain fell in just the opening days of the month) This month looks to cap them all with just 14.5mm of rain recorded so far here which is just incredible for the west of Ireland.

I do embrace dry weather, but it has been dry in a very non-descript way. It is amazing, as long as this NW block has been there since late December, there has been little to no real depth to any of the brief continental incursions over Ireland. Most of the airmasses we have experience this year originated north of Scandinavia and the northern section of the North Sea or even worse, from the North Atlantic.

Pure trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

i cannot believe you guys are complaining about the weather we have had the last 6 months. it is the most consistently dry sunny spell we have had and you are giving out about northerly winds. may the atlantic westerlies stay away for the next 3 years. GOOD BYE BORING ATLANTIC WESTERLIES. bring on the NORTHERLIES. Southerlies are welcome too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

inabina wrote: »
    Southerlies are welcome too!:D

not by me if they are going to bring insufferable sticky weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

not by me if they are going to bring insufferable sticky weather!

Wimp! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

first of all hi to toomanyconditions.

Second. My relaltives are complaining about the weather all year but I keep telling them that for half a year we have had less rain than normal apart from the April Bank Holiday.

However DE as you say damn 2010 to hell... the first intersting rain of the Summer is sure to occur in June. Even if it is 18 or 19c im sure there will be downpours. I was sure May would be wet but the Highs stayed around longer than normal. Now I see a Low Pressure pattern emerging in June though not sure how many of these will actually cross Ireland.

But as 2MC says in thread NW would seem to be the dominant and they will stop what could have been a scorcher of a Summer it seems more likely now

• Advertisement
Advertisement