Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord stupidity causing me to move out, do I still need to give 28 days notice?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

My landlord keeps forgetting to turn the gas hob of, he has forgotten three time since I moved into the house about two months ago. I share the house with him, his girlfriend and my girlfriend.

This morning I complained to him again about it after he left the hob on yesterday evening and his response was basically stop making a big deal out of it. He also said he has previously left it on over night and nothing has ever happened, plus there are two fire alarms down stairs.
    Basically he didn't give a flying fu*k!

After feeling like he didn't give a sh*t, I gave him 28 days notice that me and my girlfriend are moving out.

Is there any way we could move out sooner and not loose our deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

What sort of notice period does your licence agreement have?

As you're a lodger you're not bound to the same rules and regulations a tenant is. But then again you don't have the back up and legislation a tenant does either.

I'd have a chat with him, tell him you feel completely unsafe with that sort of carry on and that you'd move out over it.

Maybe contact Threshold for further advice but I believe it all goes down to what was agreed on your agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you renting a room off the home owner or is it a rented house you are sharing?

AFAIK if you are renting a room off the home owner you're only a licencee(sp?) and don't really have any rights to stay so I'd assume you can just move out. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will correct this if I'm wrong.

If it's a rented house then you need to give notice and depending on the lease you may have to stay the remainder unless you can get someone to take the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

ARGINITE wrote: »
    He also said he has previously left it on over night and nothing has ever happened, plus there are two fire alarms down stairs.

Yeah cos a smoke alarm will save you when the house blows to smithereens! :rolleyes:

Sorry I have no advice regarding notice. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Cathooo wrote: »
    What sort of notice period does your licence agreement have?

I'd have a chat with him, tell him you feel completely unsafe with that sort of carry on and that you'd move out over it.

I have no licence agreement with him.
    To clear things up, we are renting two rooms from him not the whole house. He lives here too with his girlfriend.

I tried to have a talk to him this morning but it went badly, he got thick with me. Previously my girlfriend has tried to talk to him about it too. But that went no where too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To clear things up, we are renting two rooms from him not the whole house. He lives here too with his girlfriend.

I tried to have a talk to him this morning but it went badly, he got thick with me. Previously my girlfriend has tried to talk to him about it too. But that went no where too.

I'd call Threshold as Cathooo said and ask what your rights are. Mention that you've raised the issue and are getting fobbed off and the LL is getting aggressive/thick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF you have no lease ,rental agreement or rentbook you can just move out next week,but he,ll probably hold on to your deposit if you do so .Ask him can i stop paying rent because i,m moving out in 28days.In the meantime check the gas is switched off before you go to sleep,and before you leave in the morning each day. that.Have you a receipt for the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you've nothing in writing with him then he'll probably try to keep your deposit no matter what you do, he sounds like a bit of an eejit. You'd have to apply to the Small Claims Court if he does try to keep it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/sharing-accommodation-with-your-landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thank you for the replies, they are helpful.

Advertisement