Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband off?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else lost their Internet connection for the last 2 days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Off late last night for about 10 minutes but that was it.

Are you on mobile or fixed line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

mine went off at about 12 o clock last night. (Fixed line) After the running the usual repair tools, and virus scanning - I gave up and phoned tech. support.

Turns out that PPPoE had been changed to PPPoA - I've no idea how that happened, though I'm going to run a different virus and malware scan on the laptop, since my son was using a facebook app. when my connection went down........

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Noreen1 wrote: »
    mine went off at about 12 o clock last night. (Fixed line) After the running the usual repair tools, and virus scanning - I gave up and phoned tech. support.

Turns out that PPPoE had been changed to PPPoA - I've no idea how that happened, though I'm going to run a different virus and malware scan on the laptop, since my son was using a facebook app. when my connection went down........

Noreen
    It was around 12 when mine went off also. I rebooted the modem a couple of times and it was up and going again after 10 minutes.

muffler wrote: »
    It was around 12 when mine went off also. I rebooted the modem a couple of times and it was up and going again after 10 minutes.

Lucky you! I tried re-setting the modem several times, ran network repair, virus scanned, malware scanned, eventually opened tools/run network diagnostic in IE (I usually use Firefox) - and got a message to phone Tech. Support.

I have to admit, it's a new one on me - I've never had PPPoE settings change before, especially since both my router and computer are running independent firewalls........ and the router configuration is password protected too!

Strange! I think I better check the security settings on the kids laptop!

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Er, what's PPPoE and PPPoA? :confused:

Mine was down for ten minutes the same night as posters above. Do i need to check settings etc?

• Advertisement

Er, what's PPPoE and PPPoA? :confused:

Mine was down for ten minutes the same night as posters above. Do i need to check settings etc?

They're router settings. PPPoE is the standard used in Ireland.
    If your internet is working - then:
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :D

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Cheers Noreen, I'll leave well alone so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Funny mine has stopped since Friday, rang Eircom support on Saturday morning and went through a few things with the PPPoE settings with them and they said it seemed to be a server port fault on their side and it would be fixed within 2-3 days, still waiting.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Funny mine has stopped since Friday, rang Eircom support on Saturday morning and went through a few things with the PPPoE settings with them and they said it seemed to be a server port fault on their side and it would be fixed within 2-3 days, still waiting.

That's strange! (I'm not with Eircom, BTW - though I think my ISP rents the line from Eircom.).

I've been thinking that something pretty major hit the Broadband lines that night, esp. since when I rang Customer support, they didn't seem at all surprised that my PPPoE settings had changed - despite checking on my router type, and being made aware that it had an inbuilt Firewall!! (In other words - between the Firewall, and security settings - it shouldn't have been possible for anyone to change the settings externally!!)

As it happens, my clever kids:rolleyes: had turned off the security settings on the router, to add a new laptop to the network! Hence, the router was vulnerable, though both computers were secure, thankfully!

I'd ring Eircom, again, if I were you - do they not have a Customer charter that says they have to have a fault fixed in 48 hours, or you get X amount off your bill? They used to, anyway. Either way, it's time they had it fixed!

Good luck!

Noreen

Advertisement