Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 8 - "The Hungry Earth"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Smith recalls Troughton more to me
    I've recently gotten Power of the Daleks on audiobook and this had struck me through the few parts of it that I have gotten through too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

I just watched doctor who confidential on iplayer and they cut out a scene between the Doctor and Amy, just after rory goes back to the TARDIS to drop the ring off. In the scene Amy asks about future her and Rory, the conversation goes;

Amy "Me and rory on the hillside, thats good right, that happens, we get a happy ever after?"
    Doctor" As things stand in this time stream, time's not fixed so things might change....."

Thats when the narrator started to talk again. So unless they are going to explain it in the second part of the episode I don't understand why they didn't cut the whole lot out! I think that everyone may have to wait to get their questions from the DVD extra's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am a bit Meh! towards this episode

I am liking Matt Smith though and the more I watch the series the less I am seeing his youth which I think is a good thing and a good sign of his ability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    the scale of it all felt so small. (a hamlet in wales & only 4 human characters.

This I didn't get - there was a village but they were the only people living there?
    dmcg90 wrote: »
    You're right I thought that they were maybe trying to warn them, seeing as they couldn't get through the barrier/shield

That went up later though *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

every season of Who has a sort of mid season patch where the initial excitment dies down and before we got all wound up in the finale. I think Matt Smith is still feeling around the character, its a bit harsh to be going after him yet, there are those who thought that all David Tennant brought to the part was being bug eyed, shouting a lot and saying sorry the odd time. The fact is that this doctor will chance a lot before we see the end of him, so give it time. I actually think he is a very very good doctor.

The point about him not being "Doctor Who" is something that can irk me. Peter Cushing flatly intrduced himself as Doctor Who in the films, the First Doctor had a calling card with a W on it, and the second I think gave a German version of "doctor who" as his name. Also, for more years than i could care to look up, he was credited as Doctor Who in the closing credits. Even Stephen Moffat when he wrote Blink was worried that "its not got Doctor Who in it" Of course, the real reason is that in them days there was a lot of scriptwriters who would write Casualty one day Doctor who the next and Emmerdale on thursday and didnt have a series bible to use, and some script editors never did their jobs right. Then there were the ? marks on collers, jumpers and unbrellas.....

The geek in me liked the reuse of the 7th doctors "there will be no battle here today" line, but I dont know... this story seemed a bit empty. Apparantly budget cuts resulted in only one sillurian for the first part, but I just think the story as a whole lacked a spark. maybe next one will help, its rather hard to judge a story halfway through after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I agree, I don't think Matt Smith has the range or the maturity, the Dr needs more depth and I just don't think he's a seasoned enough actor.

That's harsh. It's his first series, well, half series we've seen.

The wibbly wobblying he does is annoying to me, but barring that, he is doing well. We've had 8 episodes, making judgements like that is way too early.

I forgot this was a 2 parter and it left me wanting more. The whole idea of graves swallowing bodies is age old and I'm sure done before, but still scary! Hope they give that more more legs in the next episode as they ignored it in this one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The point about him not being "Doctor Who" is something that can irk me. Peter Cushing flatly intrduced himself as Doctor Who in the films,
    Peter Cushing's Doctor definitely doesn't count! He wasn't even from Gallifrey I believe.
    the First Doctor had a calling card with a W on it, and the second I think gave a German version of "doctor who" as his name.
    Yeah but he was using a fake name to get by. The 2nd Doctor used "Doctor van Wer" (I think) but sure we may as well call the program "John Smith" then since he used that fake name the most...

The only time he was called "Doctor Who" on screen was by WOTAN who said "Doctor Who is required". WOTAN was merely confused though since it couldn't have ever heard a "who".
    Also, for more years than i could care to look up, he was credited as Doctor Who in the closing credits. Even Stephen Moffat when he wrote Blink was worried that "its not got Doctor Who in it"
    Oh I know and Doctor Who was used in many of the novelisations as well. Still isn't backed up by on screen evidence - for every time there's a "Doctor W." there's approximately 423423423 instances of "the Doctor" :)
    Then there were the ? marks on collers, jumpers and unbrellas.....
    That's him being mysterous :)
    this story seemed a bit empty. Apparantly budget cuts resulted in only one sillurian for the first part
    What did you think of the updated Silurian look?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    What did you think of the updated Silurian look?

The make-up was quite impressive, but to be honest they looked way too human, compared with how they appeared before. I'm surprised they didn't even think to give the actors some contact lenses for that extra reptilian look. That Silurian had very blue eyes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

pixelburp wrote: »
    That Silurian had very blue eyes :D

Yeah. "You're beautiful, you are. I'd ride you for sure".

Much prefer the old Silurian look.

Advertisement