Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 30MB or Magnet 24MB?

• 21-05-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I was wondering which of these two ISP's I should choose from. I live in Dublin 18.

With Eircom, I currently get 1.7mb download, 0.2mb upload and a ping of 50.

821784971.png

My decision is not based on:

* Cost of the service
    * Time it takes to install
    * How good customer care is
    * The problems UPC are currently having

I want to know which of these two ISPs can provide me with the best speeds and line quality.

Contention Ratio

Apparently Eircom has a contention ratio of 48:1 which means there are times when your line will be slower because of your neighbours. I know Magnet advertises a 1:1 contention ratio on their 24MB line. Will my contention ratio be lower on UPC because of the fact that not many people in my area will have the same ISP as me?

Ping and Upload Speed

One of the main things I will be using the connection for is gaming. I know that ping is very important with gaming and was wondering which of these two ISPs offers the better ping. I have also heard that upload speed is important but I'm not sure if that just applies to hosting games.

Existing Line Cause Problems?

I will be installing the new line with Magnet or UPC as a completely new line so it will have nothing to do my old Eircom line which will still be used as broadband and phone services for the rest of the house. Will there be any problems with this seeing as Magnet rent the Eircom lines.

Rory, the Magnet representative on this site, (while quite helpful), seems slightly reluctant to share information with people unless it's over a phone call. I'm not sure if it this is to do with him needing details to acquire commission or if he just sees this as an easier way to discuss the details. I won't be installing the line for a few weeks so I'm trying to make my decision before registering with anyone or agreeing to anything.

I hope that some of you have the answers to my questions and I will be very grateful for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

UPC has nothing to do with your phone line, so it's irrelevant as to whether you use a new line or not.

Your current line stats will be very important to determine what speed you're likely to get with Magnet ADSL2+. Can you check these? Log on to the router (192.168.1.254), go to expert mode, and after that I'm not sure where to look but it'll be something like line stats. The important figures are Attenuation and SNR. Downstream attenuation in particular is important, and any number greater than 20dB means you won't get better than 20Mbps, and at 40dB you won't even get 10Mbps.

What should your current eircom speed be? You're getting 1.76/0.18, which is good if you're supposed to be getting 2M/256k, but bad if you're supposed to get 7M/768k.

Is UPC broadband actually available to you, and also Magnet LLU?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

Thanks a million for your reply. You've just taught me a lot about my internet.

jor el wrote: »
    What should your current eircom speed be? You're getting 1.76/0.18, which is good if you're supposed to be getting 2M/256k, but bad if you're supposed to get 7M/768k.

I'm on a 2mb package with Eircom so I'm getting 1.76mb of that. I'm getting 180kb out of 256kb. So that's pretty decent I think.

Your current line stats will be very important to determine what speed you're likely to get with Magnet ADSL2+. Can you check these? Log on to the router (192.168.1.254), go to expert mode, and after that I'm not sure where to look but it'll be something like line stats. The important figures are Attenuation and SNR. Downstream attenuation in particular is important, and any number greater than 20dB means you won't get better than 20Mbps, and at 40dB you won't even get 10Mbps.

The line attenuation for downstream is 22 (db). The line attenuation for upstream is 9.5 (db). Can you tell me what this means and how I can figure out what these numbers mean please?

As for SNR, the only stats I can find that it might be is this:

SN Margin for downstream is 30.5 (db). The SN Margin for upstream is 31.0 (db).

CRC Errors for downstream are 6. The CRC Errors for upstream are 3.

I assumed that UPC would be available in my are but this may not be the case. I was told by Magnet that the 24MB package was available in my area.

EDIT: Just used a calculator for ASDL and ASDL2+. The max download speed for my line on ASDL is 8.5mb. The max upload for my line on ASDL is 4mb. The max download speed estimated for my line on ASDL2+ is 19.5mb. The max upload speed estimated for my line on ASDL2+ is 23.5mb. Are these the stats for the Eircom line? As in, these stats could be different for the new line that I get installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

This site has lots of info as well as the speed calculator there. It also suggests your line would be capable of about 19.5M.

Any reason you want a new line installed? Can you not use the existing line and switch to Magnet? Might be easier.

Although a new line could have different stats, it's likely that they would be similar. This is as long as new lines from the exchange are available. If no dedicated line is available, then eircom can install a splitter, which gives more than one telephone line on any particular physical line, but broadband cannot work on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Here is my answer.

17358868.png822254980.png

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

This site has lots of info as well as the speed calculator there. It also suggests your line would be capable of about 19.5M.

Any reason you want a new line installed? Can you not use the existing line and switch to Magnet? Might be easier.

Although a new line could have different stats, it's likely that they would be similar. This is as long as new lines from the exchange are available. If no dedicated line is available, then eircom can install a splitter, which gives more than one telephone line on any particular physical line, but broadband cannot work on that.

I want to get a new line because I do not own the current line. That line is owned by a person I live with. I also don't want others downloading things while I'm online so it makes more sense to get my own line installed.

I've just realised that Magnet Bolt is available in my area so that seems like the obvious choice to go for as it's designed for gaming and low pings.

Ranicand wrote: »
    Here is my answer.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement