Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Motorbike slot on Motor Mouth on Newstalk

• 21-05-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Folks, as of next Monday night there will be a new motorbike slot with Tony Toner on Motor Mouth on Newstalk 106-108fm.

To start it off we will have a one hour bike special this Monday, so if there's anything you would like to hear covered let us know.

Every other week the slot will last 10-15 minutes, so again if you want anything covered leave a message here, in the "motors" forum, or, email me at motormouth@newstalk.ie.

Stay frosty,
    Daragh

Motor Mouth,
    Monday nights from 22.00 on Newstalk 106-108fm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The egg slicers(wire barriers on motorway medians) they use on motorways... chop a mans head off they will - clear saftey hazzard and the government continue to use them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Good to see this going ahead, is there a stream available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

An old one but... 2 year restriction, no direct access, no incentive to better ones driving....

bleurghhhhhh!!!!

Nice work, btw

cantdecide wrote: »
    An old one but... 2 year restriction, no direct access, no incentive to better ones driving....

bleurghhhhhh!!!!

Nice work, btw

I like this one actually... but the less we highlight the restriction, the less it will be enforced for those lads that drive without them... the less publicity the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd like to hear a discussion on the validity of restrictions placed upon motorbike riders after they have achieved their full license and are seen in the eyes of the law as acceptable drivers. Adding to that the complete lack of regulation, testing parameters and enforcement regarding said restrictions.

• Advertisement

I'd like to have the topic of restriction raised as well.

For example why do we only take some bits of UK legislation? i.e.

we have the 33bhp bit

but we don't have the direct access bit.

Seems completely half assed, which I suppose is par for the course in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

get rid of VAT on safety gear
    bring in direct access
    let motorbikes in buslanes
    bring in more incentive for motorcyclists.. currently a new rider has to be fairly feckin persistant to get anywhere :( ridiculus insurance costs, retarded 'L' plate tabbard you're forced to wear, unavoidable restriction period, up and coming compulsary bike lessons etc etc... sad really

all I can think of atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

very good!

Yeah I'd like to hear the VAT argument.

I reckon a good slot might be to find out what Car drivers think about bikers.
    a - Maybe teach a few bikers as to what they are thinking when doing manouvers etc. and
    b - Might clue some car drivers in to be more aware etc

Look forward to the show,
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Folks, as of next Monday night there will be a new motorbike slot with Tony Toner on Motor Mouth on Newstalk 106-108fm.

To start it off we will have a one hour bike special this Monday, so if there's anything you would like to hear covered let us know.

Every other week the slot will last 10-15 minutes, so again if you want anything covered leave a message here, in the "motors" forum, or, email me at motormouth@newstalk.ie.

Stay frosty,
    Daragh

Motor Mouth,
    Monday nights from 22.00 on Newstalk 106-108fm
    Excellent. Will have to add this one to my diary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It would be great if you could talk about road and circuit racing in Ireland, the TT, World Superbikes and Supersports, Eugene Laverty an Irishman doing us proud in the WSS championship(but you rarely here about it in Irish media) MotoGP etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'd like to have the topic of restriction raised as well.

For example why do we only take some bits of UK legislation? i.e.

we have the 33bhp bit

but we don't have the direct access bit.

Seems completely half assed, which I suppose is par for the course in this country.

It's an EU regulation not a UK one. If we'd copied the UK we'd have direct access instead they picked the worst parts and got rid of the good parts.
    Wossack wrote: »
    get rid of VAT on safety gear
    bring in direct access
    let motorbikes in buslanes
    bring in more incentive for motorcyclists.. currently a new rider has to be fairly feckin persistant to get anywhere :( ridiculus insurance costs, retarded 'L' plate tabbard you're forced to wear, unavoidable restriction period, up and coming compulsary bike lessons etc etc... sad really

+1. VAT on safety gear is a joke and the fact it's COMPULSORY makes it worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Having just completed the UK process I can say that I found it far better than the Irish one.

I did apply for an Irish licence, did the theory test, and received my provisional licence. Then I went to do my full test and was told there was a 6 month wait! I asked why and they said to "get experience on the road". I have held a full car licence for 8 years and I had 3 years motorbike experience abroad. What a load of cr8p.
    Then I learnt that there would be a 2 year wait before I could ride my motorbike of choice. I gave up and aimed for a UK Direct Access licence.

The UK process was far better and indeed far more useful to the learner. My UK car licence gave me a moped entitlement. Then the CBT was an extremely useful and I believe necessary day of training. It consisted of classroom work, slow speed technique, and then onroad training.
    The theory test was similar to the Irish one, except for a hazard perception test which I cant say worked very well.
    The practical test however was miles ahead of the Irish one. Split into 2 modules, with module 1 being offroad. The offroad section was great training. Figures of eight, u-turns, slalom, emergency stop, and emergency swerve are all good skills. The emergency stop and swerve are definite lifesavers. Module 2 was like our practical test.

If Ireland can up its game and offer Direct Access to bikers we should do so using a more comprehensive training and testing structure like this.

I know its not high on motorbike association's lobby list because of the simple fact that bikers already have bike licences, but I believe it to be essential training.

In short I think a good topic for the show would be to give wannabees insight into how to go about achieving the bike licence in Ireland.

I agree with the vat exemption for helmets by the way. Not so sure about exemptions for gloves, jackets, boots etc. My argument would be for compulsory safety items only. Again good discussion point.

The availability of further training would be a good topic too. ie Intermediate, advanced, track, and return to biking training.

Bikes in buslanes is a major issue that could be discussed.

Good places to go weekend riding with mates, including cafes/bars/restaurants enroute for pitstops.

Cost of sourcing motorbike gear locally, online, and abroad.

I look forward to the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fluffer wrote: »
    I know its not high on motorbike association's lobby list because of the simple fact that bikers already have bike licences, but I believe it to be essential training.

In short I think a good topic for the show would be to give wannabees insight into how to go about achieving the bike licence in Ireland.

I thought we had a huge percentage of riders on permits. Has that changed recently?
    I agree with the vat exemption for helmets by the way. Not so sure about exemptions for gloves, jackets, boots etc. My argument would be for compulsory safety items only. Again good discussion point.

If there was no VAT on the non compulsory safety items people could buy better quality gear. The amount of VAT lost would ,more then likely, be saved by the reduction in injuries when people crash as they would be better protected.

In saying that proper bike gear should be compulsory. The amount of muppets out today in shorts and t-shirts was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I thought we had a huge percentage of riders on permits. Has that changed recently?

Quite right. I suppose I meant those who would be committed enough to be in a biking association.
    Then again shouldnt we and the government be aiming to reduce to a minimum those driving on learner permits/provisional licences? Ireland continues to have a ridiculous situation whereby people can fail tests and drive/ride home.
    The amount of muppets out today in shorts and t-shirts was terrible.
    It has always been hard to legislate against idiocy.

Again OP is there a stream available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Motor Mouth: Daragh

fluffer wrote: »

Again OP is there a stream available?

There is, we're on at ten tonight (monday). You can listen in on www.newstalk.ie - go to the listen live function.

If you miss it tonight, there is a playback feature - this stores shows for 7 days.

I'll grab a few of the questions from this page for tonight and just so you know (and sorry to the mods if this is out of line) there is a thread about this in the Irish Bike Forum, so I'll be grabbing questions from there as well.

Over the coming weeks if there is anything you want to ask or discuss you can leave messages in this thread, or you can email me at motormouth@newstalk.ie.

I hope you're listening tonight and get in touch if you have any comments about the piece.

Be good,
    Daragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Hi Daragh,
    had a listen on the online player thingamyjig.

That guy Tony Toner was great! Never heard of him before, but he
    was able to describe the biking experience in such a way that the
    car drivers out there will be able to follow. Really impressed.

NCT:
    On the NCT bit. Is Ireland not too small to warrant getting an NCT set up?
    2% bikers as you guys said.

Awarness:
    Any money available for a THINK BIKE campain over here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI8-_9FrB4

Thats all Ive got for the mo.

Delighra that this is getting air time.
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Can't believe I missed this :(

KTRIC wrote: »
    Can't believe I missed this :(
    If you miss it tonight, there is a playback feature - this stores shows for 7 days.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Motor Mouth: Daragh

Thanks Ó Gríofa.

We enjoyed it last night. As we said on air, from here on out it will get 10-15 minutes each week, so if there's anything in particular that anyone wants mentioned, plugged, etc, feel free to post it here or you can email motormouth@newstalk.ie. Also if there are any particular topics which you think should be discussed post them here or over email - Tony will be keeping an eye.

Thanks again to Tony and everyone who took part last night. Keep the ideas coming in and we'll create a brilliant weekly spot.

Be good,
    Daragh

Daragh Ó Tuama.

• Advertisement

Just listened to it there, great show - Tony done a great job - you should think about popping a little info regarding bike racing in there... maybe get a racer on the phone or something...

oh, and just a point on one of the issues raised, someone said something about car drivers not seeing bikers in mirrors - particularly in the left hand mirror - what is the biker doing on the left hand side of the car in the first place?

Most of the time it is bikers not reducing the risk which causes accidents... if you know a cager doesn't check their left mirror, dont be on the left ya muppet! It's the whole evolution thing.... if you learn from your mistakes instead of getting pi$$ed off at a particular group of people for doing wrong it would be much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

jameshayes wrote: »
    oh, and just a point on one of the issues raised, someone said something about car drivers not seeing bikers in mirrors - particularly in the left hand mirror - what is the biker doing on the left hand side of the car in the first place?

Most of the time it is bikers not reducing the risk which causes accidents... if you know a cager doesn't check their left mirror, dont be on the left ya muppet! It's the whole evolution thing.... if you learn from your mistakes instead of getting pi$$ed off at a particular group of people for doing wrong it would be much better!

Am often on the left side of a cage because said cage has just overtaken in outer lane of motorway/dual carriageway and then realises that they need to be in the far left lane and just bulldozes through. This happened on m50 last week - i was queueing in moving traffic (doing about 40km) on finglas slip off m50 and ended up in the road works because a cage passed me, slammed on and pulled into the 5ft of space i was in. My only escape was to dodge thru the bollards into the dugup piece of road.
    Or in left lane of roundabout becaue i'm going straight on and cage in right lane pulls in on top of me.

Where are the mistakes there ? In these cases, being alert, having a big whopping airhorn and leaving enough room to brake/manovure were the only defenses I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ifah wrote: »
    Am often on the left side of a cage because said cage has just overtaken in outer lane of motorway/dual carriageway and then realises that they need to be in the far left lane and just bulldozes through.

This happened to me recently.

2 lanes and off-ramp. Off-ramp was jammed with stopped cars queuing to exit. A car shot past me in the overtaking lane and pulled in ahead of me....and threw out the anchor to try and cut onto the off-ramp.

Natural selection at work...

cantdecide wrote: »
    This happened to me recently.

2 lanes and off-ramp. Off-ramp was jammed with stopped cars queuing to exit. A car shot past me in the overtaking lane and pulled in ahead of me....and threw out the anchor to try and cut onto the off-ramp.

Natural selection at work...

I hope you removed his wing mirror.

Might not be the most diplomatic approach but might just save the life of the next biker he comes across.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Is a great idea for a show and i enjoyed very much,,,anything that helps gets motorists thinking and being concious of motorcyclists has to be a good thing,,

I know that it is not always the car drivers fault for not seeing us but alot of them are just not in a right frame of mind to be even on the road in the first place,its not just MC they pull out infront of its everybody alot of thr time and becomes a issue with regard MC because of the size/speed comparison,,,

On a side note i wa travelling on the N7 on Sunday in the car just outside Kildare and some muppet flew by me going about 140kph all togged out,,with a girl on the back just wearing a helmet and a some kinda dress,i couldnt beleive it,she would have been sliced to pieces if she were to come off (thats what my 6yr old said when he say it,he obiously ha more sence than either of them)but the usual story theres never a copper around when there needed,,,,,,anyway great show and keep it upp:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niner99

just listening to this stream now, good show. I will be listening to this weekly. Pretty good, not as informative as boards though!! Here's the link for the stream http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

a motorbike only night once a month, or maybe 1hr of bikes once a month.. that would be good, instead of 10 or 15 min each week.

i cant see much being done in 15 min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Just saw the post, I listen to off the ball most days, so I'll listen to motormouth if there's a bike section too.
    Try not to go on about safety and bikers moaning about stuff, a bit on moto GP, irish bikers in WSB, road races and news on new bikes would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Harleyfatbob

Needs to be longer than 15 minutes for gods sake - whatcan you cover in 15 mins - not a lot even with Tony being an absolute brilliant guy to have on the show its just not fair -

If he is to do product reviews - that will take min tens mins - I suggest dont keep interruping him with the text and let him do his show and then for 15 mins afterwards answer texts

Advertisement