Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Packed Lunch To Work?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering do many people take their lunches with them to work now? If you do, I'm looking for some inspiration for ideas as I can't imagine eating ham sandwiches everyday! Any good pasta recipes people use? Or any suggestions ye'd have would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I sometimes bring a salady thing to work, bit of iceberg, cucumber, tuna, pasta and what-ever-you-like, throw a little dressing in the lunch box and by the time I get to eat it, the flavors have all melded together and it's lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I find that salad goes all soggy if you put the dressing on in the morning- so I often fill an old tube from Berocca/ Rubex with the dressing to pour on fresh when I'm ready to eat it, yum!!

As for pasta, I use a jar of creamy Dolmio tomatoe pasta bake stuff with chicken and veg. Bake it with cheese on top and it's so good the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could do Baked spaghetti and bring a piece of that in, or cook Macaroni elbows up and when they are cool toss them in pesto I like tinned fish and a dash of hot sauce with this.
    Make a Quiche with ham and onion.
    Pizza also travels well Calzone even better.
    If your workplace has a microwave Curry and rice is a handy lunch.
    Ditto for Chili and rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Red Pesto on the pasta spirals and cooked sausages cut up in to little pieces nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

when i make dinner in the evenings i try to make some extra to bring in for my lunch, if its something that will microwave well.
    quiche and curry for the win.
    also the other day i needed to whip up something for work quick, so i fried up some mushrooms, lentils/mung beans [i cant tell the difference] with butter and LOTS of garlic, and when i microwaved it later at lunch time it was so good.
    also , soups are quick and easy to bring, especially if you can nip out for some fresh bread with them. just dont forget a spoon!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

pasta, kidney beans, cucumber, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, sweet corn

beans on toast

scrambled eggs on toast

baked potato with beans or cheese or coleslaw

lasagna

chili

noodles

any leftover dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

MissMiami wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just wondering do many people take their lunches with them to work now? If you do, I'm looking for some inspiration for ideas as I can't imagine eating ham sandwiches everyday! Any good pasta recipes people use? Or any suggestions ye'd have would be great! Thanks!
    chicken salad sandwich
    chop chicken small, chop in some celery or sweetcorn, mix the lot with mayonnaise, spread on bread, with lettuce, use banana, queen cake, for snack,
    nothing like homemade, you can use as much or as little fillers as you like, you can also make this with tuna instead of chicken, beautiful and tasty,
    another thing i like is
    your left over potatoes, chop them up and make potato salad with , you can cut the ham up and mix it in with the lot using onion, fresh parsley, put in a tub, you can put in fridge overnight in container that you will be bringing to work, it will keep nice if you wrap tinfoil around container shiny side in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

A few things I do:

bagel with filling of my choice, home made soup with oatcakes, potato salad, spinach, carrot and chicken salad, some pasta concoction.

What I often do is get a chicken and use up the meat for sandwiches or home meals during the week. I'll make a stock with the leftovers, which eventually goes into a soup which can be frozen and microwaved at work. I find it works out much cheaper than buying chicken fillets and you can get better quality chicken that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I tend to cook lots of dinner then portion it up and freeze it for lunches during the week.

Things like the meat from spag bol, or fried chicken can be used in pitta bread with salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

cold pasta with a dressing and peppers onion ans sweetcorn is nice,

if you are cooking chicken throw an extra fillet on and stick it in a wrap.

egg mayo on soda bread is fab

you can buy lunch boxes with compartments in them to keep it all separate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Now the weather is, hopefully, warming up a handy alternative to ice packs is to freeze a juice box. It'll keep your lunch refridgerated, and then you can drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

Cheers for your suggestions everyone! There are some really great ideas on here and I can't wait to try them out! Thanks again! :)

Advertisement