Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 taking money via direct debit even though account is closed

Options
  • 21-05-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Hope someone can help me.
    I terminated my contract with three a while back. I paid any outstanding bills and early account termination fee over the phone. I have a bank statement and 3 phone statement confirming this.
    Anyways 3 weeks later three direct debit the termination and amount outstanding from my account.

I rang three to inform them of this. I spent half an hour discussing and clarifying the problem. The member of staff agreed. I said please put the money back in my account. He passed me onto one of his colleagues. I spent the next half hour having teh same conversation and he said ok. I said put the money in my account. He said no they will send me out a check. At this stage I have wasted an hour of my work time. It would take me a further hour to lodge the check as I work in the sticks and nearest bank is in a location with lots of traffic.

They informed me that they did not have my bank details on file. Yet as far as I am aware they should have deleted any details after my account was confirmed to be closed (as per 3 statement) according to data protection act?

I am informed them of thsi and the call centre guy got snotty. I asked to speak to a manager, so another half hour telling the same stuff, to get the same response. I was very annoyed now. I asked was there an Irish person I could discuss the issue with. I was forwarded to a surprised guy in Upgrades, who apologised and was of no use but he got a manager to call me back. Anyways I had a missed call from three in the UK. I was not in a position to spend money making calls to the UK. So I rang there registered offices in Dublin looking to speak to a senior director/manager.

Now my question is:

Am I within rights to claim compensation (bank statements, signed form from boss re:my wages lost) for time wasted, work lost and bank charges accrued due to their poor systems.
    Does this complaint fall within Comregs remit?
    Why should I be out of pocket because a bunch of idiots in India can't do their job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Am I within rights to claim compensation (bank statements, signed form from boss re:my wages lost) for time wasted, work lost and bank charges accrued due to their poor systems.

No. What bank charges though?
    Does this complaint fall within Comregs remit?

Yes, but if it's resolved now (cheque has been sent out?) then they will do nothing. The Data Protection Commissioner may be able to do something about them holding on to personal details after your account was closed though.

Also, the bank can reverse a direct debit, which is the route you should have taken instead of contacting Three at all.
    Why should I be out of pocket because a bunch of idiots in India can't do their job?

You shouldn't, but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks for reply.
    I had not budgeted for money been taken out inadvertently.
    I may now incur a fee for an unapproved overdraft.
    I phoned three. When I spotted the charge. They have not sent out the cheque yet. I wanted the Direct debit reversed but it was a day to late when i noticed it and the bank cannot do it now.

I will bill them for all my compensation. If they do not pay I will bring it to the small claims court. Although it may not be the accepted.
    I am not sure on the workings of the small claims court.
    I am up in Dublin on Thursday so I will call into their registered offices and personally look for a senior manager and deal with them face to face.
    I love been confrontational when some does me wrong. All because one of their indian call centre monkeys was an ignorant a55hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks for reply.
    I had not budgeted for money been taken out inadvertently.
    I may now incur a fee for an unapproved overdraft.
    I phoned three. When I spotted the charge. They have not sent out the cheque yet. I wanted the Direct debit reversed but it was a day to late when i noticed it and the bank cannot do it now.

I will bill them for all my compensation. If they do not pay I will bring it to the small claims court. Although it may not be the accepted.
    I am not sure on the workings of the small claims court.
    I am up in Dublin on Thursday so I will call into their registered offices and personally look for a senior manager and deal with them face to face.
    I love been confrontational when some does me wrong. All because one of their indian call centre monkeys was an ignorant a55hole.

Why use the term monkey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Why use the term monkey ?

A monkey isn't a term.....it's a primate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you should be able to go to your bank with your final bill from three and have them confirm you paid it and then insist they reverse the debit as it is unauthorised. three will not send the cheque untill you get ComReg on the case as that is how they operate! they will keep your money unless you fight them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, I would deal with the bank as you cancelled the DD and they allowed another one. This could see you not paying the bank charges as 3 will never cover these even though they are responsible.

I can't see how the small claims court can help as far as I know they cannot award compo, just refund you what was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

After many fights and arguments, I have finally got three to refund money directly to my bank, and they have agreed to pay any bank charges that occur (ie over draft etc.)

Advertisement