Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eosinophilic Gastoenteritis - anybody else suffering like I am?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone :) I'm new to Boards so I thought I'd stop by as this forum is my kinda place...

For the past 3 years I've been in chronic pain, which is getting worse everyday. Ever since my first anaphylactic shock at 18 I haven't been the same..I was diagnosed with severe nut, sesame, seed and melon allergies and was put on two anapens. Aswell as that I've asthma, eczema and hayfever..
    Since the shock episode, I've had constant excruciating abdominal pain, which eventually lead to me not being able to swallow foods sometimes, or food gets stuck in my chest leading to pain, I've lost alot of weight(about 46kg now) and a painful swelling in my right foot meaning I can't walk sometimes..I don't have any quality of life whatsoever, I can't work and can't socialize properly with my friends. I couldn't even have a 21st birthday!
    I've done alot of research and I've come up with a condition called Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis and another called Eosinophilic Eosophagitis, meaning white blood cells are attacking food coming into my mouth and stomach thinking its a foreign body. Its a rare condition, but becoming more common. Supposedly Anaphylactic episodes can lead to this condition..
    I'm convinced aswell as my dietician cousin that I have one or both of these Eosinophilic conditions, but its getting the hospital to listen that is the problem(I've been told its stress and my imagination)...I'm having my 2nd endoscopy next week, but they won't listen when I tell them you need to perform specific Eosinophilic tests to diagnose the disease. I'm so tired of waiting 7- 12 hours in A+E only to be turned away with Acid reflux tablets..I'm fighting a losing battle trying to get a diagnosis, if I could just get a diagnosis I could accept my illness and make changes in my life that would benefit me :( ...is there anybody here who has these conditions or knows of anybody who has either of them that can give me some hope that I will get diagnosed in this country? Will appreciate any responses, thanks x

Advertisement