Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pacman is 30 today!

• 21-05-2010 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Happ-E burfday lil fella! :pac:

So, who played Pacman in the early 80s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You can play Pacman now - www.google.com :pac::pac::pac:
    (Playable logo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dudess wrote: »
    Happ-E burfday lil fella! :pac:

So, who played Pacman in the early 80s?

Yep,cutting edge stuff it seemed at the time. Was in the Pacman cafe in Orlando a few years ago,'twas Pacman heaven. Think it's closed now.:(

Still play it occasionally,a simple game but good craic.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Much of my misspent youth playing this at the Kingston Arcade in Dunlaoghaire (Former O Briens off license Upper Georges St.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

lord lucan wrote: »
    Yep,cutting edge stuff it seemed at the time.

Really? Granted the first time I probably played this game was several years after 77 but I never really thought of it as technically innovative. Universally popular & addictive as hell but hardly amazing wrt to audio, graphics etc, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

bonerm wrote: »
    Really? Granted the first time I probably played this game was several years after 77 but I never really thought of it as technically innovative. Universally popular & addictive as hell but hardly amazing wrt to audio, graphics etc, surely?

Certainly to me as a kid it seemed amazing. Having never seen a computer or arcade machine(apart from on tv) it was a technological marvel in my eyes. Same goes for when my dad bought a C64 in 1984,to me it was cutting edge stuff. Funny looking back at it now,seems like a lifetime ago given the advancements in technology.

On a related note,The Empire Strikes Back was 30 years old yesterday too. It was the first movie my parents ever brought me too. Seen it in the old Ambassador cinema in Dublin. Remember being awestruck by the sights and sounds(i was 6!) and it's still one of my favourite movies now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Pac-man and Tetris were the only two games I ever bothered with. And I knew a boy who had worked out how to write a Pac-man program. He wrote a version of the game without the ghosts and the power pills.

Advertisement