Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C+C my effort today(7 IMG's)? Also, Good composition books?

• 21-05-2010 5:18pm

Hey all...

Back again for more boardsies advice, opinions, suggestions and I'm also looking for advice on a book, too.

Anywho... Slightly moving away from the world of Ambulances and Fire trucks for a short while (whilst I await other emergency services to get in touch with me), I awoke early today to catch a sunrise. Unfortunately I did the old "I'll get up in five minutes" routine, and slept well past it. So I was wandering about today and took some photomographs.

Just looking for other people's thoughts?

(By the way, I'm not expecting thoroughly in-depth analysis of the photos, just a general idea of whether you love them, hate them or are completely indifferent to them, although of course, tips on how to improve them or things to consider in future is always a bonus. I realise there's a lot of them, so just a general feeling on them would be great).

7DF459BADA0B4ECAAD1BDE865D864A89-800.jpg

087045B78780406A9972C5D605C248BD-800.jpg

AE1A70E0AD404CAA8ECAC85F58FC2CC0-800.jpg

(Edited; updated to photograph with dust on sensor cloned out)

100D38378CD74A67A77A0495F5DC1CBC-800.jpg

CAF7124462C74588AE9DAAAE969F5D30-800.jpg

1CDF3E0501724C3198B6053D0FEF8951-800.jpg

BE91CADE033249E889C78A27A7724D10-800.jpg

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books that deal with composition in-depth? (ie; not a book that tells you what the rule of thirds is, and then skips on to symmetry, etc. but that tells you what rules of thirds is, gives examples of good and bad times to use it, what to look out for when using it, what to avoid, etc. etc.). In other words, a book that covers the subject and doesn't make me feel like I should've just Googled it.

Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

we meet again!

Ok

#1 Looks more like a product placement shot with the white background and not a very good one at that.

#2 How can you go from such a bad shot to such a good shot! Love this! really do, I'd have liked a bit more grass at the bottom to so I get get a better perspective of the whole scene. I'd even like more of the picture on the left and right, the trees just seem crowded, but it's pretty close to a picture I'd frame.

#3 Decent, I probably couldn't do the same shot better, nothing too special of a normal flower shot.

#4 Dirt on sensor shows bottom left and even though you used f13 aperture the top of the railing in the centre didn't focus as well, odd that, I'm no DoF expert so someone else will probably explain that one better.
    The shot itself I'm not mad on but I'm not mad on abstracts so thats just me.

#5 Too similar to last one to be in one C&C thread, some interesting DoF in this but the PP seems a bit flat and lifeless. The pic should have entered after the main in focus bit too, so no need for the right hand bit.

#6 There is a halo around the wire which is a big no no and as I said in #5 at the start, too many of the same, unless in future you do a story set to me thats the only time there should be similar type of C&C shots.

#7 If I hadnt've seen 4,5 and 6 I would've said not bad and potential for a story there between the barbed fence and the freedom of the bird, it could be executed better too.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

# 4, besides the obvious dirt spots, would be the pick of the set for me. First one is pretty bland, the outer leaves are over exposed and the inner ones under-exposed. 2 is ok and I like #7 too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

to be honest on the book front... composition... after the basic rule of thirds malarky... can't really be something read. have a look through images in books and galleries, flickr too, when i see an interesting shot, i sometimes write down the image in words in a my notepad, when you go back to it later, it really helps

we meet again!

http://www.dramabutton.com/ :D

#1 Looks more like a product placement shot with the white background and not a very good one at that.

#2 How can you go from such a bad shot to such a good shot! Love this! really do, I'd have liked a bit more grass at the bottom to so I get get a better perspective of the whole scene. I'd even like more of the picture on the left and right, the trees just seem crowded, but it's pretty close to a picture I'd frame.

I originally had grass at the bottom of the second shot I believe, but there was dirt and crap all over the ground. Kinda ruined it.

My original theory behind the first shot was to get the whole tree on it's own, with a foggy background (as it was foggy this morning) but it backfired on me and I ended up with that. I don't think it's too bad for what it is, but it's great to get another person's opinion. Helps with objectivity. :)

#3 Decent, I probably couldn't do the same shot better, nothing too special of a normal flower shot.

#4 Dirt on sensor shows bottom left and even though you used f13 aperture the top of the railing in the centre didn't focus as well, odd that, I'm no DoF expert so someone else will probably explain that one better.
    The shot itself I'm not mad on but I'm not mad on abstracts so thats just me.

Didn't notice the lack of focus on the railing to be honest. Not trying to lie here, but still can't really see it.. It does look softer though. :confused: The sensor dirt is wrecking my head. Tried numerous times to rid of it, but to no avail. :mad: Must get someone to do a proper job on it.

#5 Too similar to last one to be in one C&C thread, some interesting DoF in this but the PP seems a bit flat and lifeless. The pic should have entered after the main in focus bit too, so no need for the right hand bit.

I agree with what you're saying about the right hand side not being necessary, but I seen this kind of focusing on a few different images and wanted to try it out. If you never try you never learn, and such.
    #6 There is a halo around the wire which is a big no no and as I said in #5 at the start, too many of the same, unless in future you do a story set to me thats the only time there should be similar type of C&C shots.

Not really sure what a story set is? I assume three or four images, all incorporating the same theme? :confused: To be honest, this was going to be only the barbed wire/fence shots, but then I decided to throw in the flowers/trees at the last minute. I was just looking for opinions on the images independently and not related to each other, but I'll keep that in mind when posting C+C in future, thanks :)

#7 If I hadnt've seen 4,5 and 6 I would've said not bad and potential for a story there between the barbed fence and the freedom of the bird, it could be executed better too.

The last one is actually (probably?) my favourite of the lot. Not sure why.

Anyway, thanks a lot AR. I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion on all the shots. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I meant ofc to say ended not entered lol, I never read back and just post straight up. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

A nice set. It looks like you've put a lot of thought into the composition which is good :)

Out of curiousity, does my (poor) attempt to clone out the dirt make the image any better or worse?

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4859/img9655pp23.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Interesting Book on Composition

# 4, besides the obvious dirt spots, would be the pick of the set for me. First one is pretty bland, the outer leaves are over exposed and the inner ones under-exposed. 2 is ok and I like #7 too.

Thanks for the reply. Looking back at the first shot, and reading that I can see what you mean. It's a bit all over the place :o

to be honest on the book front... composition... after the basic rule of thirds malarky... can't really be something read. have a look through images in books and galleries, flickr too, when i see an interesting shot, i sometimes write down the image in words in a my notepad, when you go back to it later, it really helps

I tend to do look at other pictures online a fair bit, but I never write anything down. Do you mean write down stuff regarding the composition of the shot, or regarding the settings used to achieve similar photos? :confused: Not entirely sure what you could write down that'd help you out when you're out taking photos?

I meant ofc to say ended not entered lol, I never read back and just post straight up. :o

Doesn't really matter, I know what you meant (I think? The in-focus part should be the closest part to the camera?)

daycent wrote: »
    A nice set. It looks like you've put a lot of thought into the composition which is good :)

I tried, I admit, but I'm still just learning ye olde basics. Hopefully I'll improve and my ratio of good/bad photographs will someday improve. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books that deal with composition in-depth?

Great book is The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman

Edit: just saw that Diabhal_Glas linked to it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Out of curiousity, does my (poor) attempt to clone out the dirt make the image any better or worse?

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4859/img9655pp23.jpg

Much better, I like that shot.

Advertisement