Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Healthiest Takeaway option

Options
  • 21-05-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Got exams, have no food in the house to cook dont have time to go buy some cause i dont drive, so my only option is looking like takeaway,

anyone any suggestions what my healthiest options are???? (trying to throw on some size body wise but really trying to restrict the amount of fat I put on with it so cant go too mad with this takeaway)also in ballyfermot area so pretty central for options on takeway???

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

They did this on Brainiac a few years ago, apparently in a lot of cases a Fresh cod and chips is better than a lot of "healthy version" ready meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If cash isn't a problem could you use something like restaurant express to get proper food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dancingjebus3

unfortunately cash is an issue, im a student and haven been able to work many hours cause of exams so looking for something well under the 10 euro bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Could you walk to your local shop and get a litre of milk and 6 eggs?

A large omelette and a very large glass of milk will fill you up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Healthiest Takeaway? Wishful thinking OP!
    You seriously can't get to your local shop? Not even for the sake of eating proper food?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP should have posted this somewhere else :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

chicken shop suey with extra veg instead of rice or chips from the chinese is probably the healthiest take away meal i can thinkl of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You're not going to get a healthy take away.

Just eat crap food or make it to some shop to pick up some basics.

Takeaway might not seem like it should be in fitness forum but you will find in most bodybuilding diets that there is a thing called a cheat meal which is a meal to take a break from the strict diet that you are on the rest of the week as to make sure you stick to that diet for a long period of time.
    thanks Liam, I am perfectly aware that takeaway is crap but if im going to eat crap food i dont want it to be too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

seconding the chinese with veg instead of rice. Just avoid any of the sweeter dishes, they have tonnes of sugar in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Takeaway might not seem like it should be in fitness forum but you will find in most bodybuilding diets that there is a thing called a cheat meal which is a meal to take a break from the strict diet that you are on the rest of the week as to make sure you stick to that diet for a long period of time.
    thanks Liam, I am perfectly aware that takeaway is crap but if im going to eat crap food i dont want it to be too bad..

Are you a bodybuilder??

Get a triple quarterpounder. If your gonna cheat, cheat big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 BigBraveBear

Just goin for the chicken biryani from the Indian now meself, lot of bad fat in it I think, but its bleedin delish!

Scuba ste, depends on what you mean by bodybuilder, i dont compete if thats your question but I do workout frequently so really depends on what your definition of a bodybuilder is... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/whatisbb.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Scuba ste, depends on what you mean by bodybuilder, i dont compete if thats your question but I do workout frequently so really depends on what your definition of a bodybuilder is... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/whatisbb.htm

I think the fact that you posted that link answers the question. No you are not a bodybuilder.

OP, I was getting a fast food diner last night. And couldn't bring myself to get burger and chips. THe best I found was a kebab.

And before anybody jumps in with OMG Kebabs R D Worstest.
    I'm not in ireland, kebabs here are miles away from the pitta filled with greasy lamb, cabbage and tons of mayo.

Here it was , a wrap, with shredded chicken, raw lettuce, tomato, and onion, with hot sauce. The wrap is carbs, the chicken protein and fats. The rest is pretty negligible.
    I dunno if you could get a chipper to make you one like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Southern fried chicken breasts but no chips. Looking at the nutrition on kfc.co.uk they aint too bad with plenty of protein. The breasts u get in most chippers are also usually healthier than kfc as less fat and more meat IME.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think the fact that you posted that link answers the question. No you are not a bodybuilder.

wow people really do get upset over the smallest of things..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tandoori chicken, no naan, no rice.

Here are some I worked out before over in nutrition & diet -and yes, wayyyy too much time on my hands...
    rubadub wrote: »
    Bag of chips from Italian chipper 455g

Going off mc-cains site their premium chips are 253kcal and 7.2g fat sat per 100g

So 1,151kcal and 33g sat fat so 24.5points for the bag.
    http://points.ogo.ms/

There is an interview with the italian chipper association guys on youtube, one guy said they used lard, another said a typical fish & chips has about 800kcal! no way in hell!
    I got a singapore chow mein last week, weighed 800g.
    Using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/
    I hit 5.5 points at 370kcal presuming zero fat (and it was fairly greasy)
    That means if this was true then it was 46.25kcal per 100g. I would estimate it at 250kcal per 100g though, this is comparing it to supermaret ready meals and the fact that the noodles are much denser, i.e. not boiled to death where they take up lots of water. A single pack of 80-100g dry supernoodles can be 550-600kcal. I would also conservatively estimate 5% fat since it was fried noodles & meat and quite oily, so 40g of fat, and 20g goes in my calculator. So using the same calculator I would estimate 33.5points.
    (I mention 5.5 WW points since one UK guide estimates a takeaway as that!
    Just back from the Chinese now, chips weighing in at 395g, so 853kcal, 4.3g sat fat, so 13.5 points. Again that is conservative using the McCains figures which are probably lower than usual to appear lower in cals.
    My usual was chicken balls, curry sauce, chips (I know not chinese!).

I got it and it weighed loads, always did. So I got home and weighed each to see what I used to be eating.
    Chips- 520g (no joke! my scales is fine)
    Chicken balls- 350g
    Sauce- 200g.

I reckon the chips are ~250kcal per 100g, chicken ~300kcal/100g, sauce 150kcal/100g. Those are probably conservative figures, chicken balls are really just donuts, and sauce is probably loaded with oil.

So probably at least 2500kcal in all.
    I am just back from "lets eat in", the portions looked small compared to the usual chinese/indian takeaways huge helpings. They are in cubic boxes so it is deceiving. I am in work & had a scales handy, I also like to calculate calories to show people the reality of takeaway portions, rice was 310g, korma was 520g. 830g in total, now most microwave kormas are 300-400g, so it is over twice that. The rice was the size of a decent mug.

I would guess at least 1200kcal, will have to have a look at some rich korma sauce labels and try and figure it out better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭1ceman

I totally hear you OP. Ours is a pretty busy home and we're not the best at cooking so when it comes to getting take away I'd love for there to be a healthy option...

Back home, pretty much all the places that do chinese for example will have a healthy option menu that's actually not totally crap.

Check this out:
    http://www.nings.is/FileLib/skjalasafn/MatEnskurFram.pdf

Oh and the most expensive you can go on those healthy menus is about €11-12

Sorry for not being of much use to you but a take away with healthy options is something I wish for every week over here... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Chicken Shashlik. Eat it out of the container, leave all the oil in the bottom of the tin. Smashing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mellor wrote: »
    OP, I was getting a fast food diner last night. And couldn't bring myself to get burger and chips. THe best I found was a kebab.

And before anybody jumps in with OMG Kebabs R D Worstest.
    I'm not in ireland, kebabs here are miles away from the pitta filled with greasy lamb, cabbage and tons of mayo.

Here it was , a wrap, with shredded chicken, raw lettuce, tomato, and onion, with hot sauce. The wrap is carbs, the chicken protein and fats. The rest is pretty negligible.
    I dunno if you could get a chipper to make you one like this.

A zaytoons chicken shish, is quite good here. Lumps of marinated chicken breast, grilled. Tomato, red oinion, lettuce with sauce in a freshly baked wrap.

Amazingly tasty and not overly unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Great post rubadub. From the Chinese I would generally get sweet and sour chicken (in batter!) or chicken with cashew nuts, both with fried rice. Portions are massive and they are laden with oil and probably salt. Based on extrapolating from supermarket ready meals, I would not be surprised if the calories from one Chinese takeaway was over 2500 calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

A McDonalds grilled chicken salad (no dressing) is perfectly healthy but if your getting fast food just go for it, once in awhile is not going to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wow people really do get upset over the smallest of things..
    Not upset, you were asked a question and didn't answer very clearly.
    copacetic wrote: »
    A zaytoons chicken shish, is quite good here. Lumps of marinated chicken breast, grilled. Tomato, red oinion, lettuce with sauce in a freshly baked wrap.

Amazingly tasty and not overly unhealthy.
    Yeah, zaytoon's would be close to what I was describing. That kind is pretty much the norm here.
    How healthy is basically comes down to beef or chicken. Which sauce and if you include hommus and the like. (I know hommus isn't bad, but it pushes cals up) I'd estimate you can go one for >500 cals

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dolores Hayes

Kanum in Ballsbridge do healthy MSG-free meals for around 10/11 euro and they are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

vegetable curry with boiled rice perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Kanum in Ballsbridge do healthy MSG-free meals for around 10/11 euro and they are delicious.

Why drag up a two year old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

sgarvan wrote: »
    Why drag up a two year old thread?

To advertise a restaurant by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Not that i want to take you away from whats no doubt the most important study material ever, but if you have time to arse around online looking for suggestions about food, then you have time to get to proper grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

A non dairy Indian curry with rice of most sorts are pretty much okish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cook a big lot of food on sunday and freeze it.

then you will have ready made healthy meals for the week
    job done

also, eggs are your friend - omlettes.

Advertisement