Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Healthiest Takeaway option

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    cook a big lot of food on sunday and freeze it.

then you will have ready made healthy meals for the week
    job done

also, eggs are your friend - omlettes.

freezing food like that is lazy and is not actually that good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    really?

must give out to my mother for doing it for years so.

the OP said she doesn't have time to prepare meals - solution? prepare them at start of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Southern fried chicken(breast) and wedges and a carton of milk ?
    my local chipper steam the southern fried chicken and the wedges are cooked in an oven ,
    The healtiest take away i can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

haha healthy take away.....

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    really?

must give out to my mother for doing it for years so.

the OP said she doesn't have time to prepare meals - solution? prepare them at start of the week

Time to prepare meals?
    That's ridiculous. She has time to post threads on the internet stating how she doesn't have time to prepare food and yet she could of prepared a meal quite easily in the time she spent here on a forum posting about how she didn't have time to cook up a meal.

Freezing food, and eating take away as a habit is just a bad idea. To try find a healthy take away option is hard enough but to eat take away food all the time is not advisable as part of a healthy diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

howcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Kanum in Ballsbridge do healthy MSG-free meals for around 10/11 euro and they are delicious.

I'd second that. In terms of Irish takeaways, Thai food is the freshest I've found. Tasty as well. Just get something like Laap Gai, diced chicken with a load of flavour. Plenty of decent options on Thai menus and it's not processed shíte.

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

This probably isn't going to go down well here in the fitness forum but according to weight watchers, this is the order of how bad takeaways are...

1) Dominos (Pizza in general) - a full medium pizza is TWO whole days worth of points.
    2) Eddie Rockets - a milkshake alone is a whole days worth of points.
    3) Burger King/McDonalds - two double cheeseburgers contains a whole days worth of points.
    4) Chinese - still quite bad but you could definitely fit it into your daily points if you order correctly :) It's not half as bad as the other three.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This probably isn't going to go down well here in the fitness forum but according to weight watchers, this is the order of how bad takeaways are...

1) Dominos (Pizza in general) - a full medium pizza is TWO whole days worth of points.
    2) Eddie Rockets - a milkshake alone is a whole days worth of points.
    3) Burger King/McDonalds - two double cheeseburgers contains a whole days worth of points.
    4) Chinese - still quite bad but you could definitely fit it into your daily points if you order correctly :) It's not half as bad as the other three.

Are you using pro points or the old points, as the old one are very flawed.

But it comes down to what you order and the portion size. A lot of Chinese meals would be worse than 2 double cheese burgers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

This is a ridiculous statement. What is wrong with freezing a home made meal, cooked from scratch? Please explain how it is not good for you?
    You have no idea what you are on about.

Cooking in bulk and freezing is a great way of always having healthy, home made food whenever needed, just as in the OP's situation.

• Advertisement

Healthy take away is an oxymoron, but in recent years, many (mainly thai) restaurants have copped on to people's desire to eat healthily and have adapted their menus accordingly.
    BUT if you are going to have a take away, just go and enjoy it. Maybe avoid prawn crackers and fried rice, just don't take the piss. If you have a take away one day per week but eat healthily the other six then it's not an issue.

I'm talking about indian/thai menus mainly.

Pizzas are disgustingly high in fats and calories..they are just not worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you using pro points or the old points, as the old one are very flawed.

But it comes down to what you order and the portion size. A lot of Chinese meals would be worse than 2 double cheese burgers.

I am using ProPoints.

I took into consideration the portion size when I gave those guidelines. A chicken curry and boiled rice are the exact same ProPoints as 2 double cheese burgers - and a lot more filling for the OP :)

Cheat day or no cheat day, I don't think I could ever eat another Dominos despite how amazing it is! Sad times

ebixa82 wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous statement. What is wrong with freezing a home made meal, cooked from scratch? Please explain how it is not good for you?
    You have no idea what you are on about.

Cooking in bulk and freezing is a great way of always having healthy, home made food whenever needed, just as in the OP's situation.

Fresh food is always better than eating from frozen. You get best nutrients when they are fresh. When you freeze food it's quality and taste wears off. The only way to know that is try eating fresh food everyday for a month and then eat frozen food for a month. You'll notice the difference.

Second point, you have to defrost it and most people use microwaves to defrost food. Microwave's gives off radiation, which I am sure you know. Not only that it nucs the food and kills of the remaining nutrients that survived the thawing...

You can freeze food all you want, but if you want to talk about health, than at least know what healthy eating means. Freezing food is only done when food is scarce to eat. There really is no reason to freeze food whatsoever.

So if you are not familiar with healthy eating, don't assume you know what you're talking about. I suppose what I am trying to say is, if you want to eat healthily, you can't cheat yourself to a healthy way of life.

Fresh food is always better than eating from frozen. You get best nutrients when they are fresh. When you freeze food it's quality and taste wears off. The only way to know that is try eating fresh food everyday for a month and then eat frozen food for a month. You'll notice the difference.

Second point, you have to defrost it and most people use microwaves to defrost food. Microwave's gives off radiation, which I am sure you know. Not only that it nucs the food and kills of the remaining nutrients that survived the thawing...

You can freeze food all you want, but if you want to talk about health, than at least know what healthy eating means. Freezing food is only done when food is scarce to eat. There really is no reason to freeze food whatsoever.

So if you are not familiar with healthy eating, don't assume you know what you're talking about. I suppose what I am trying to say is, if you want to eat healthily, you can't cheat yourself to a healthy way of life.

So many things wrong with above post.

Having worked as a chef for years I think I understand the science behind what happens when food is frozen.

Frozen veg are just as nutritious as fresh veg when frozen correctly. Frozen meals too.

I cook and freeze batches as I don't have time mid week to spend an hour cooking certain dishes midweek, but love cooking at weekends.
    Granted I can prepare a salad and some chicken/fish/steak in 20 mins flat.

Food is never scarce, as you claim, time is.

I don't own a microwave so I decide in the morning what I will eat, take it out and it will be ready when I return from work. So your radiation argument is void.

So, there you go, your argument is redundant.

So many things wrong with above post.

Having worked as a chef for years I think I understand the science behind what happens when food is frozen.

Frozen veg are just as nutritious as fresh veg when frozen correctly. Frozen meals too.

No it's not.

I cook and freeze batches as I don't have time mid week to spend an hour cooking certain dishes midweek, but love cooking at weekends.
    Granted I can prepare a salad and some chicken/fish/steak in 20 mins flat.

Food is never scarce, as you claim, time is.
    I never claimed food was scarce, you don't read properly. I said, food was initially frozen to when food does go scarce. food today, has no reason to be frozen. The healthiest way you can possibly eat is to eat food fresh so you get the best nutrients available.
    I don't own a microwave so I decide in the morning what I will eat, take it out and it will be ready when I return from work. So your radiation argument is void.

Fair enough, I complement you with that, as most people tend own microwaves.

So, there you go, your argument is redundant.

No it isn't.

No it's not.

I never claimed food was scarce, you don't read properly. I said, food was initially frozen to when food does go scarce. food today, has no reason to be frozen. The healthiest way you can possibly eat is to eat food fresh so you get the best nutrients available.

Fair enough, I complement you with that, as most people tend own microwaves.

No it isn't.

It is a very common practice for people to cook home made meals, often at the weekend when they have time, and freeze them so they can be eaten again midweek when they don't have time.

There is a HUGE reason for food to be frozen, it's because people who work long hours do not have the time to cook a meal after a long day, but still want the option of a home cooked meal.

Just so you know, if I cook a meal from scratch, freeze it, defrost it naturally and reheat it in a pan or in the oven, there is a negligible reduction in nutritional value.

It is a very common practice for people to cook home made meals, often at the weekend when they have time, and freeze them so they can be eaten again midweek when they don't have time.

There is a HUGE reason for food to be frozen, it's because people who work long hours do not have the time to cook a meal after a long day, but still want the option of a home cooked meal.

Just so you know, if I cook a meal from scratch, freeze it, defrost it naturally and reheat it in a pan or in the oven, there is a negligible reduction in nutritional value.

I don't believe anyone should be working long hours, so I am out of that argument.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Kill nutrients? How exactly? Do you understand what vitamins and minerals are?

The microwave emits non ionising radiation. It's radio waves at a higher frequency. Are you suggesting that leaving your sambos beside a radio "kills the nutrients".

Microwaves DO NOT nuke food. They agitate it slightly.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don't believe anyone should be working long hours, so I am out of that argument.

WTF does that mean?

I don't believe anyone should be homeless or unemployed but that's life.

Anyways, after that comment, I realise what I'm dealing with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think this post proved that you don't actually understand what you are talking about.

Microwaves are part of the same electromagnetic spectrum as radio waves, uv, sunlight, infrared, etc. they don't nuke your good, don't take 80s film cliches as fact.
    Secondly, microwaves have been show to retain more nutrients than baking, grilling, boiling. Basically all forms of cooking except steaming.

As for freezing, it actually prevents the degradation of nutrients. Frozen veg are often in better shape than "fresh". As they are more of less frozen when pick right up until they are needed. Fresh could be a few days old when bought, then sitting for a few days before its used.

Obviously, going out and pulling veg from the ground at dinner time is best. But there's nothing fundamentally unhealthy of freezing and heating. I often prep post-gym meals and freeze them. I'm confidant they are healthier than 95%+ of other people's dinners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

so the story is: freezing good (and handy)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I wish you were my boss....

Advertisement