Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen calls on unionist leaders to mark 1916

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Other than your opinion, not much substance to that?

Well, I'm hardly going to give you someone else's opinion, now am I?
    My main difficulty is that you seem to expect me and other reasonable people to accept your rhetoric as total fact;)

Here is a list, in order of relevance of what I need to achieve today.
    1. Wake up and have breakfast.
    2. Soak up some sun.
    3. Bring the dog for a walk.
    4. Drink an ice cold glass of water.
    5. Draw dinosaurs in MS Paint.
    6. Twiddle my thumbs.
    7. Convince FlutterinBantam that the world will be a better place without religion.

As you can see - I couldn't care less about what you believe, or what you don't believe. Moreover - self praise is no praise. Many 'reasonable people' on this planet would agree with my assertion that Earth would be a better place without fairy tales like Christianity dictating how people should act. Also, I don't remember claiming that my opinion was 'fact'.

I believe we're going slightly off-topic at this point. If you have any questions, you can contact me via my profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

heh heh ....you gotta be kiddin..

What's your dog?

Cavalier King Charles:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The Unionists are dead right.

1916 has nothing to do with them.

Why would they get involved.
    As the two parts of our island move closer together, whether within the structures of the European Union or by a different method, we'll both have to accept parts of one anothers' cultural heritage. It might be a good place for the unionists to make a nod in that direction.

I don't believe that we should remain seperate in the long term, I think that we are both weaker for it. Ireland, despite its current problems, has made remarkable progress in its short history as an independent state, so who knows how much faster we could proceed with the north on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    As the two parts of our island move closer together, whether within the structures of the European Union or by a different method, we'll both have to accept parts of one anothers' cultural heritage. It might be a good place for the unionists to make a nod in that direction.

A nod yes, and as long as its got nothing to do with Easter 1916.
    Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I don't believe that we should remain seperate in the long term, I think that we are both weaker for it. Ireland, despite its current problems, has made remarkable progress in its short history as an independent state, so who knows how much faster we could proceed with the north on board.

Remarkable progress yes, but only since 1995 . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Meh, in what way are unionists supposed to commemorate this?

Provos, INLA etc all inspired by the men of 1916, tri-colour used by the previous and current IRA groups. how could we realistically expect a unionist politician to say something good about it,

Bit stupid also the logic of "we're commemorating the somme where our ancestors died alongside your ancestors, so you should commemorate the rising against everything your ancestors stood for"

Which is even more ridiculous when you consider the rising was timed to happen when Britain was busy . . . fighting at the somme.

That said. I'll be partying :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Provos, INLA etc all inspired by the men of 1916, tri-colour used by the previous and current IRA groups. how could we realistically expect a unionist politician to say something good about it,

Bit stupid also the logic of "we're commemorating the somme where our ancestors died alongside your ancestors, so you should commemorate the rising against everything your ancestors stood for"

Which is even more ridiculous when you consider the rising was timed to happen when Britain was busy . . . fighting at the somme.

good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dudes who slotted 'The Dog ' in a phone box outside Drogheeda were inspired by the 1916 leaders?

Who would have thunk it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Agreed, and it wasn't just the British who were busy at the somme, but most of Europe + a large proportion of Irish people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    The ' moderate ' Trimble was an bigoted insulting little c*nt - just like all the rest of the unionists.

With a statement like that the words pot and kettle come to mind

• Advertisement
Advertisement