Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with finding BHP for Astra GLX

• 21-05-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone help me find out what the BHP of a 1.4L, Opel Astra GLX, 16v, 2002 car would be.

I am thinking on buying one i seen but the garage says they do not know what the BHP is.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You should be able to see it if you try calculating the vrt on it - www.revenue.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1998 to 2004 1.4 litre Astra had 90bhp afaik.

Just to add, that engine was particularly known for head gasket problems so make sure to have the car checked out before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

You should be able to see it if you try calculating the vrt on it - www.revenue.ie

Hi,

I ran it through there but it didn't give the BHP.

I googled it and see that some 1.4 astra's of that year have 60ps some have 80 and some have 90 for the 1.4 models.

Its the ecotec engine also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

If the owners manual is in the glovebox it lists the power output of each engine in the range but i think as Baz said it had 90 or 96 hp.I had a 98 one and the head gasket went in it,sold the dirty thing for 600euro.

Goodluck with it

Actually in the add on carzone it is in as a 1.3L petrol engine.

Is this really the 1.2 (1.248L) engine does anyone know??

• Advertisement

That Astra was available in 1.2 litre as well as 1.4 litre. The 1.2 litre is fairly rare and was only available for a short time before Opel had the good sense to discontinue it. The 1.2 litre Astra would not pull you out of bed.

BTW there was no GLX model either, it would have been GL, adverts on carzone have a tendency to be inaccurate so don't take it as gosbel.

bazz26

Do you think this type of car would be a 1.4 engine or might it me the 1.248 engine. I just wonder why they would put 1.3 down on the advert??

BHP on the 1.248 is 75 as far as i can gather on google and the 1.4 about 90 as you said.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/1.4-GLX-/201019197973308/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The 16V X14.. series engine produces 90bhp. It is a reasonably economical and pokey engine. The 75bhp engine is the older 8v engine. Whilst it is less powerful, it is probably a more robust engine that the newer one.

Some of these 16V engines do use a little oil, so one to watch if purchased.

Faults wise, head gaskets can pop sometimes. Certainly on the 1.2 16v stablemate, a bad overheat usually means a new engine because there is not enough meat on the cylinder head to skim it properly. I think the 1.4 is ok though.

The odd sensor can pack up too, but no more than say a Golf (Bosch bits again....:rolleyes:). There is a software update available some engines in the range to disable problematic EGR valves and allow it to be blanked off.

Cambelt change is a must when due, including the water pump.

shamwari wrote: »
    The 16V X14.. series engine produces 90bhp. It is a reasonably economical and pokey engine. The 75bhp engine is the older 8v engine. Whilst it is less powerful, it is probably a more robust engine that the newer one.

Some of these 16V engines do use a little oil, so one to watch if purchased.

Faults wise, head gaskets can pop sometimes. Certainly on the 1.2 16v stablemate, a bad overheat usually means a new engine because there is not enough meat on the cylinder head to skim it properly. I think the 1.4 is ok though.

The odd sensor can pack up too, but no more than say a Golf (Bosch bits again....:rolleyes:). There is a software update available some engines in the range to disable problematic EGR valves and allow it to be blanked off.

Cambelt change is a must when due, including the water pump.

Thanks shamwari

On the carzone link above post do you think that one would be the 90BHP 16v model

changes wrote: »
    bazz26

Do you think this type of car would be a 1.4 engine or might it me the 1.248 engine. I just wonder why they would put 1.3 down on the advert??

BHP on the 1.248 is 75 as far as i can gather on google and the 1.4 about 90 as you said.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/1.4-GLX-/201019197973308/advert?channel=CARS

That is a basic GL model, cannot tell from the photos if it is 1.2 or 1.4 litre though.

Seems a bit expensive considering this one is a year younger and is the higher spec Elegance model:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197966223

• Advertisement
Advertisement