Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FBD Insurance Ras 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Looking forward to this. Hopefully it'll be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Saxobank wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Hopefully it'll be entertaining.

+1

Looking forward to next Saturday watching the race go by on the Wicklow Gap, some very strong riders this year hard to pic a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

great to see a limerick team it after a few years absence, even though there is only one guy from limerick on it!

good luck to everyone competing and looking forward to seeing a few of the midweek stages in the midwest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting to see the A.N.Other brothers lining up for Usher.

Could these be the next Schlecks?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    Interesting to see the A.N.Other brothers lining up for Usher.

Could these be the next Schlecks?

The Usher team is out (not sure why)

Watch out for the new Irish talent Lavery and Halpin riding with Murphy and Gunn.

Also Rapha have a strong team and the German pro team is the same one Tony Martin started off with.

Met the early Garmin incarnation with Allen Lim on it in 2006ish experimenting with baked potatoes as race food....

Good to see the Wexford team and hope to see Robin Kelly do well, saw some awesome riding from him last year.

And please god let there be someone older then me actually riding .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I think Usher is purely down to finances from what I heard but who knows. It is certainly an expensive business, between everything I think my own team were down in the region of 10k from putting a team in last year.

Robin won't be riding this year Robfowl, only Gater from last years Comeragh CC team is riding with our neighbours Wexford, going well too, I motorpaced him down the N11 on our way back from Dublin the other night at 88kph on the set of wheels he bought from another boardsie.

Good luck to all the competitors this year, especially the county riders. Hero's, every one of them for just lining out at the start. I think its impossible to understand what they are up against until you have been up close and personal in some way with the race. For sure before last year I never really got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Usher team is out (not sure why)

Watch out for the new Irish talent Lavery and Halpin riding with Murphy and Gunn.

Also Rapha have a strong team and the German pro team is the same one Tony Martin started off with.

Met the early Garmin incarnation with Allen Lim on it in 2006ish experimenting with baked potatoes as race food....

Good to see the Wexford team and hope to see Robin Kelly do well, saw some awesome riding from him last year.

And please god let there be someone older then me actually riding .......

Yes, serious talent indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i again will be spending the week with the ras and have to say imo it is the most interesting ras in years i will post my photos on my ras thread when the action gets going

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My money's on Chris Newton to make it a hat-trick of Ras victories. Looking forward to the final stage in Skerries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

anyone know what time bikes will start coming through Galway and Oranmore? I want to take some pictures.
    Cheers
    Pa

STAGE 4, WEDNESDAY 26Th MAY, OUGHTERARD – TIPPERARY 169KMS.
    Oughterard, Moycullen, Galway, Oranmore, Clarenbridge, Kilcolgan, Ardrahan, Gort, Dromindoora, Killanena Category 3 KOM, Knockanena Category 3 KOM, Scariff, Tuamgraney, Killaloe, Ballina, Birdhill, Newport, Murroe, Boher, Pallasgreen, Oola, *Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

I hope there's some Quigs-esque updates by some teams this year. The Comeragh website really made the ras for me last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

hynesie wrote: »
    I hope there's some Quigs-esque updates by some teams this year. The Comeragh website really made the ras for me last year.

I'm doing the RAS this year and will hopefully be putting up updates some/most days on my blog www.ryansherlock.com

Nice weather for it today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Good man Ryan. I will be tuning into those. No updates from me this year anyway but hope to be back on the RAS next year if we have the riders to do it.

Your Zipps are tempting me a little. Any clicks in them, I am noticing a pinging / clicking noise when a lot of riders on zipps are putting in out of the saddle efforts, I reckon Delahaye may as well wear bells on his feet, his are so loud. Basically are they silent when you are riding them ?

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Good man Ryan. I will be tuning into those. No updates from me this year anyway but hope to be back on the RAS next year if we have the riders to do it.

Your Zipps are tempting me a little. Any clicks in them, I am noticing a pinging / clicking noise when a lot of riders on zipps are putting in out of the saddle efforts, I reckon Delahaye may as well wear bells on his feet, his are so loud. Basically are they silent when you are riding them ?

Yeah - my wheels are silent. I seen Nialls ones in Ras Mumhan, when he was attacking they were wobbling about a bit. At 73kg, I put out a lot less force than him so didn't notice anything.

The only sounds is that whoosh whoosh you get with carbon wheels and tubs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

dinneenp wrote: »
    anyone know what time bikes will start coming through Galway and Oranmore? I want to take some pictures.
    Cheers
    Pa

Expected times here

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_648.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Just to let use know there is an iphone app for the fbd ras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

not a dickie bird of a mention of this the RAS on the 9 oclock news..was it mentioned at 6?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

if they did mention it - it would have helped a lot with spectators

heading to slane area for 1pm odd - should be good

will bring camcorder and load up tomorrow

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Anyone heading out to Dunboyne for the start?

I'll be pedalling over from Clonskeagh if anyone fancies it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

My money's on Rapha's Dan Craven for the overall. He's been going well all year, so far. He proved his form with the win in the Shay Elliot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For galway does anybody know where's best to stand to get pictures, will roads be blocked (e.g. will I be able to cross road to get better spot etc, do you need to be there early etc.)
    FBD Insurance Cycle Race- through Galway
    STAGE 4, WEDNESDAY 26Th MAY

Roundabout, 2nd exit, dir. Dublin Lynch 11:26 (11.39 if backwind)
    Roundabout, 2nd exit, dir. Dublin 11.44 (12.06 if backwind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

My money's on Rapha's Dan Craven for the overall. He's been going well all year, so far. He proved his form with the win in the Shay Elliot

+1, he should be comfortable in the heat as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

No TV coverage this year?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

furiousox wrote: »
    No TV coverage this year?

There's usually hilights shown on RTE at the end of the week. I certainly saw a camera out there filming at the start anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

;ust got a txt from RobFowl..."the RAS is savage groups all over the place"

I hope Rapha don't completely kill the race off again this year. While it was a great show of teamwork, strength etc, it kinda killed the race as a spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I hope Rapha don't completely kill the race off again this year. While it was a great show of teamwork, strength etc, it kinda killed the race as a spectacle.

Well that's your day ruined then
    Dan Craven (RCS) takes over the lead as winner of the stage 1 of the FDB Insurance Rás (2.2) in Ireland.

@Junior, I meant now that he had won the stage and taken the jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

:D:D:D

Why the spoliers on the Ras??

Prefer to hear the eloquent voice of horse mad Colm Murray read it at before bedtime or want to wait 3 weeks for the half hour highlight show??

Oh I get it - its the excitement in reading a twitter feed

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Quick report: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-fbd-ras-stage-1.html

Man, some of those guys are like motorbikes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Very good report Ryan. Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Absolutely savage riding. The group that came in 20 mins down was actually the bunch !

Echelons formed after Slane and a break went with representative from most of the pro teams. Hell for leather after that.

From past experience (basically what better, wiser heads have told me) a 3-4 minute gap at this stage means nothing.

Also the start and end stage organisers did a great job. Super atmosphere.

Only negative vibe was the IOM team getting refused entry for reasons known only to the UCI commissars :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

Only negative vibe was the IOM team getting refused entry for reasons known only to the UCI commissars :rolleyes:

Maybe they just could not take the IOM team seriously, given their manager is shown as Peter Kay

(and let's face it, what decent cyclist has the IOM ever produced:rolleyes:)

Presumably the team itself would have been made aware of the reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe they just could not take the IOM team seriously, given their manager is shown as Peter Kay

(and let's face it, what decent cyclist has the IOM ever produced:rolleyes:)

Presumably the team itself would have been made aware of the reasons

I dunno man, Andrew Roche is a pretty decent cyclist, after that I'd be fairly hard pushed to think of anyone from there .. :D:D

Why the spoliers on the Ras??

Just trying to be PC is all. Seems like some fellers on this here boards like to keep the days results secret. Doesn't bother me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

grate first day,looks like another hot day today

very poor intrenet wont upload

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

in the second pic it looks like the rider hidden behind the mechanic holding up the wheel is strying to kick in the window of the red car! lol :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

just got a txt update from Rob Fowl "50k covered in the first hour.One of the yanks abandoned" If that speed keeps up he wont be the only one"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Latest from Cycling Ireland.

13.44: McNally was second on yesterday’s stage and he’s now race leader on the road.

Category 2 climb at Bellavalley Gap (km 110):

1, Stephen O'Sullivan(Meath Engraveit.ie/Jade.ie)
    2, Mark McNally(Belgium An Post Sean Kelly)
    3, Stuart Shaw(Australia Drapac Porsche)
    4, Ivan Meloro Coco(Burgos 2016-Castilla y Leon)
    5, John Degenkolb(Germany Thuringer Energie)
    6, Ben Greenwood(Britain Rapha Condor Sharp)

Ryan Sherlock (Dublin Eurocycles) had got across to the chasers, but punctured out of that group.

13.57: The chasing group of riders is 49 seconds back

14.05: The race has been neutralised after a crash. We have no more information.

I think this might be very bad news.

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Heard that 1 or 2 riders hit a car on descent.

No more details yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

emtroche wrote: »
    Heard that 1 or 2 riders hit a car on descent.

No more details yet.

Fingers crossed indeed.

Just heard it's not as bad as first thought thank god.

Race will just roll into finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

emtroche wrote: »
    Just heard it's not as bad as first thought thank god.

Race will just roll into finish.

Thank God for that.

My heart has been in my mouth for the last half hour.

2 to hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

"the crash was caused by a jeep coming out of a field onto the oncoming cyclists.."

http://twitter.com/georgief/fbd-ras-2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Does anybody know start time or breakdown of route for tomorrow (Tuesday) as can't get it on Ras website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hynesie wrote: »
    "the crash was caused by a jeep coming out of a field onto the oncoming cyclists.."

http://twitter.com/georgief/fbd-ras-2010

Ouch, hope they're OK.

I can't imagine the logistics required to prevent this sort of thing, it must be hard enough clearing traffic from regular roads at 50kph over such long stages.

Maybe they need a helicopter (gunship).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gmoorewest wrote: »
    Does anybody know start time or breakdown of route for tomorrow (Tuesday) as can't get it on Ras website.

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/exec/search.cgi?cat=79&template=index%2Fdefault.html&start=11&perpage=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Thanks for that, hope race not too shook after today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement