Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FBD Insurance Ras 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Is NP same as average power? or whats the difference in layman's (non sports science) terms?

No. NP takes into account the stocastic (stop / start) nature of cycling. If you think of a race, there are times of sharp bursts, lulls, long fast efforts etc. It's not linear or a consistant effort.

The longer the effort, the wider the difference between NP & AP.

E.g. A 10min interval's AP & NP would be very close. Single digit difference in watts, while a 1 hour crit / club race would show a much larger difference. 30,40,50 watts, depending on your efforts & how agressively you rode the race.

Here's a more detailed explanation.
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/07/average-vs-normalized-power/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

giannip wrote: »
    No. NP takes into account the stocastic (stop / start) nature of cycling. If you think of a race, there are times of sharp bursts, lulls, long fast efforts etc. It's not linear or a consistant effort.

The longer the effort, the wider the difference between NP & AP.

E.g. A 10min interval's AP & NP would be very close. Single digit difference in watts, while a 1 hour crit / club race would show a much larger difference. 30,40,50 watts, depending on your efforts & how agressively you rode the race.

Here's a more detailed explanation.
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/07/average-vs-normalized-power/

hmmm is NP when you actually making an effort as opposed to just spinning for sake of it?

will NP always be higher than AP?

@Ryan - what was your power output at end of stage 4 when you were sprinting for the stage win? Were you checking it while you sprinted? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Yeah, my FTP is 400+ Watts...

The sprint - I'm not really a sprinter, peak 5 second was 1000W. Last 20 seconds was 810W

Oh, and it feels like a truck hit me (not the tarmac and a bunch of other cyclists...)

Whats ftp?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whats ftp?

Functional Threshold Power, the power you can sustain for one hour.

You have your threshold power, which is what you could theoretically sustain indefinitely if you had sufficient fuel and no personality, and then you have your anaerobic capacity, which is an amount of work you can put in over that until your legs fill with lactate and you have to crawl into a ditch.

Since you can't measure TP directly, people use FTP to indicate a similar thing, basic aerobic capacity. FTP has a sufficiently long duration that your anaerobic capacity plays a relatively small part.

In any case, the concept of chasing back solo to the lead group in the RAS after a crash is completely incomprehensible to me. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Useful blog on average v normalised power here
    Normalized Power combines two factors. First, the fact that physiological responses to rapid changes in intensity follow a time course that is predictable. Secondly, the fact that many physiological responses (e.g. lactate production, glycogen utilization, etc) are not linear when related to exercise intensity. For example, a ride that has massive accelerations and then lulls (perhaps a criterium) will be more demanding on your energy systems than a ride that is much more steady – even though they may average out to being the same wattage in the end. Normalized Power is basically an estimate of the power that you could have maintainted for the same physiological “cost” if your power output had been constant.

I need to check back to the textbook, but I think it is possible for average power to exceed normalised power (although it's never happened in my case)

Even with average power, there are two different measures (although I believe both are arithmetiuc averages). One is the average when pedalling and the other (which is normally going to be lower) includes time spent not pedalling

I guess it is possible to do a ride where all three measures are pretty much equal - this would involve constant power output, no wind, a flat course and no freewheeling (ie track cycling on an indoor velodrome)

(Lumen, I know we are going way off-topic here - do you think this warrants a separate thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

(Lumen, I know we are going way off-topic here - do you think this warrants a separate thread?)[/QUOTE]

Please!!!! Just shows what the body can do when it has to. Adrenalin and sheer bloody mindedness put all this science malarkey to shame.

Beasty wrote:
    Lumen, I know we are going way off-topic here - do you think this warrants a separate thread?

Feel free to start one, although you might be having a conversation with yourself. I don't want to move the posts as they do relate to the RAS-specific stats posted by Ryan.
    shaungil wrote: »
    Just shows what the body can do when it has to. Adrenalin and sheer bloody mindedness put all this science malarkey to shame.

A lovely thought, except that Ryan has been using a power meter for years, so if you're looking for an example of luddite stem-chewing bloody mindedness you probably need to look elsewhere ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i hope to be on corrabutt gap today ,MT leinster is as clear as a bell .will bring my camera

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

jwshooter wrote: »
    i hope to be on corrabutt gap today ,MT leinster is as clear as a bell .will bring my camera

If you have a phone with web capability could you post some updates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Any idea of the timings for route locations today - the FBD Ras site seems to be missing the details for today.... It was up a few days ago, but I can't find it now.
    Was going to head to Knocktopher, but Corrabutt may be better!

Lumen wrote: »
    Functional Threshold Power, the power you can sustain for one hour.

You have your threshold power, which is what you could theoretically sustain indefinitely if you had sufficient fuel and no personality, and then you have your anaerobic capacity, which is an amount of work you can put in over that until your legs fill with lactate and you have to crawl into a ditch.

Since you can't measure TP directly, people use FTP to indicate a similar thing, basic aerobic capacity. FTP has a sufficiently long duration that your anaerobic capacity plays a relatively small part.

In any case, the concept of chasing back solo to the lead group in the RAS after a crash is completely incomprehensible to me. :)

indefinately? doesnt sleep and other bodily requirements come into it!?! :eek:

good ras updates on irishcycling.com and an post cycling twitter

Lumen wrote:
    A lovely thought, except that Ryan has been using a power meter for years, so if you're looking for an example of luddite stem-chewing bloody mindedness you probably need to look elsewhere ;)

But I'd have thought that in that situation if you were looking at a power meter you'de be thinking that you're well over where you should be when in fact your body can do more than you'll ever realise.

Before I go off topic I will add it relates to a conversation myself and Beasty had at 6.30 this morning when I advocated that some people tend to become too reliant on technology and don't listen to their body. Some people were me and I ditched a HR monitor. I fully appreciate the benefits of technology but just think there is a balance to be had.

For me Ryan has been the revelation of the Ras by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Anyone know if there is a map for the Ras showing the exact route on google maps or the like?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    But I'd have thought that in that situation if you were looking at a power meter you'de be thinking that you're well over where you should be when in fact your body can do more than you'll ever realise.

Before I go off topic I will add it relates to a conversation myself and Beasty had at 6.30 this morning when I advocated that some people tend to become too reliant on technology and don't listen to their body. Some people were me and I ditched a HR monitor. I fully appreciate the benefits of technology but just think there is a balance to be had.

I'll post something in the training log tonight about how the powermeter helped me on Wednesday's TT. Interestingly I had the computers continuously showing 16 different fields, but I only actully looked at Power (3s and 30s averages), Normalised Power and Speed (and I only checked speed when I turned into the wind and slowed considerably)

gman2k wrote: »
    Any idea of the timings for route locations today - the FBD Ras site seems to be missing the details for today.... It was up a few days ago, but I can't find it now.
    Was going to head to Knocktopher, but Corrabutt may be better!
    It's there, although there does not seem to be anything on the website pointing to it (nhence some guesswork involved in finding it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nice to see the papers reporting the racing

2805_Ras1_indo_589525t.jpg
    Cyclist John Lynch receives attention after the crash

From God himself, apparently. Or at least, that's what I'd always imagined Him to look like, except perhaps with different socks.

From God himself, apparently. Or at least, that's what I'd always imagined Him to look like, except perhaps with different socks.

There's a good one in the print version of RobFowl hovering over the same rider looking like he is slapping him in the face

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Update from the Rob Fowl car....... Rryan sherlock is now the leader in the county rider classment and todays stage is dedicated to paul healion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Does anyone know if the driver of the 4x4 will face any action? Clearly he didn't observe traffic and other road users prior to moving out onto the road? I'm assuming he would also have known due to signage that the race was due to come through that area. Also the two Gardai bikes, however far ahead of the race must have twigged something in his memory?

It has been mentioned previously, but I would highly recommend that folks read Brian Cantys race blog in the Examiner.
    Fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

Tweets from Anto Walsh (UCD):

"12:38 PM May 26th: Crashed with 25km to go today and lost a pile of time. Back a touch sore but should be fine for tomorrow
    about 14 hours ago: Came down very heavy today. Bike smashed to bits and body pretty beat up. Will decide whether to race stage 6 in the morning"

Ouch.

Believe Anto started today on a patched spare bike. They're all mad. you have to love it.

I posted the above while out and about. he sent me another txt which reads "50 off the back already and only 15km into the stage".
    I think its a case of ' flag dropped' 'hammer down'

Got this e-mail yest.

STAGE 8, DÉ DOMHNAIGH 30ú BEALTAINE.- Sunday 30th May.- KILCULLEN - SKERRIES +2 LAPS OF 13.7KMS CIRCUIT, 140 KMS.
    Hi Folks,
    Just a brief reminder that this coming Sunday the FBD Rás finishes in Skerries, the estimated time(s) of arrival for the race to come through Balrothery and onto the Skerries circuit are:-

Estimated Time of Arrival at Kilometres per Hour. 48, 40, 32
    Tail wind 48kms 14:10
    Average 40kms 14:35
    Head wind 32kms 15:15

For further details please log on to http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_652.shtml

Please note that there will be severe traffic restrictions in Skerries on the day. When the race comes through Balrothery the Skerries circuit will be locked down and the Town ring fenced for the duration, in the past this has been for approx 1 hour

bcmf wrote: »
    Got this e-mail yest.

STAGE 8, DÉ DOMHNAIGH 30ú BEALTAINE.- Sunday 30th May.- KILCULLEN - SKERRIES +2 LAPS OF 13.7KMS CIRCUIT, 140 KMS.
    Hi Folks,
    Just a brief reminder that this coming Sunday the FBD Rás finishes in Skerries, the estimated time(s) of arrival for the race to come through Balrothery and onto the Skerries circuit are:-

Estimated Time of Arrival at Kilometres per Hour. 48, 40, 32
    Tail wind 48kms 14:10
    Average 40kms 14:35
    Head wind 32kms 15:15

For further details please log on to http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_652.shtml

Please note that there will be severe traffic restrictions in Skerries on the day. When the race comes through Balrothery the Skerries circuit will be locked down and the Town ring fenced for the duration, in the past this has been for approx 1 hour

Veggie burger please bcmf;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

Another Rás rider - Kieran Keane on Twitter. Sounds torturous for the genuine Irish amateurs.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    "Veggie" and "burger"
    2 words that should never be seen together

bcmf wrote: »
    2 words that should never be seen together
    I anticipated that type of reaction from you:p

TBH, cheese sandwiches and crisps will do for me - the kids are looking forward to your burgers though (they like that big playground you have also):)

As stated before my gates will be closed to keep peasants out and the hounds will be released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

iregk wrote: »
    Clearly he didn't observe traffic and other road users prior to moving out onto the road?

Unless you know all the details theres nothing clear about it.

Jaysus! Imagine waking up with him looking down on you!

• Advertisement

on the corrabutt o loughlin ,in a 3 man break by 2 mins . some riders 20 mins off the group

emtroche wrote: »
    Jaysus! Imagine waking up with him looking down on you!

Upside down too. People always look freaky upside down. Maybe that's why he grew the beard.

John Degenkolb (Germany Thuringer Energie) takes today's stage 6 ahead of Dan Craven

They were about a minute ahead of the chasing bunch

No change to yellow jersey

More here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

super hard day flat out from the get go some picks here

http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/killalanerr/fbd%20ras%202010%20day%206/

some shot on corrabutt gap

ps. new tar down on the gap down to bunclody ,the road is brilant for cycling now .

• Advertisement

some shot on corrabutt gap

ps. new tar down on the gap down to bunclody ,the road is brilant for cycling now .

Lovely photos. I'm sure the riders don't need reminding about the pain gain tradeoff.

Heres a map of tomorrows stage (stage 7). Some people might find it a bit handier than the manual directions.

Bear in mind it's unofficial but i'm fairly certain it's accurate!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/81193

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

07Lapierre wrote: »

Pfft, I TT'd up there in a 42*23

iregk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the driver of the 4x4 will face any action? Clearly he didn't observe traffic and other road users prior to moving out onto the road? I'm assuming he would also have known due to signage that the race was due to come through that area. Also the two Gardai bikes, however far ahead of the race must have twigged something in his memory?

Unless you have info to hand that's beyond the public domain you are off the mark here as it stands

It is not clear that he didnt observe traffic etc

The chap could be entirely innocent - also could well be still in shock by the event for all you know - indeed could be out of pocket with damage to his jeep.

Signage? care to be more specific? you mean the occasional Ras promotion poster in some shops en route? He was duty bound to take that info in and analyse?

in theory he could have seen no vehicles or riders before he pulled out.

How can you tell he was aware of what was going on?

As I said earlier in this thread:

I haven't heard that there was a motorbike marshall static at the junction he came out of.

Unfair to apportion blame til facts are known.

The driver could have done nothing wrong for all we know.

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the driver may have been on his side of the roads and the 4 Spanish riders may not have been (I don't want to assume anything just stating a possibility.

Anyway Alaistair McLennan was on rte radio 1 this week saying he was heading up an independent enquiry - any outcomes yet??

thats liam walker of kilcullen cc (the rider's team manager)

a very decent gent that has been involved in cycling since the early nineties at least. If everyone else involved in the sport did 10% of what Liam has done for the sport over the years cycling would be better off.

im sure the rider concerned was relieved to see a familiar face comforting him when he came through

btw the fact that the small paper edition of the irish independent carried this accident as a sensationalist news story rather than as part of a sports story shows the level of ignorance among their editors. you would swear it was a road traffic accident and not an unforunate an regretable, but all the same possible part of the rigours of an international bike race. The Irish Times gave much better perspective of the incident I felt, at least they kept it in the sports section.

emtroche wrote: »
    Heres a map of tomorrows stage (stage 7). Some people might find it a bit handier than the manual directions.

Bear in mind it's unofficial but i'm fairly certain it's accurate!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/81193

Heres the map for Sundays (Stage 8).

Hope it helps because sundays stage is relatively complicated.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/81295

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I was up on Corrabut today myself (taking photos) will try and up them somewhere tomorrow - some climb, some pain for the riders!

A fun day today - that climb was steep, was wishing I had a 25 on the bike.

Blog post up for the day: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-fbd-ras-stage-6.html

Highest 20 minute NP wattage in the last few weeks today - funny what 6 days of racing does to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eoghan95

does anybody know what time the ras enetrs wicklow at please becouse i want to build my ride around it

• Advertisement
Advertisement