Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FBD Insurance Ras 2010

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

:)

I'd throw in a few quid to see that !!

Cant be any of of this carry on though right !?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE&feature=player_embedded
    I would definitely throw something in to see Slideshowbob take on blorg either SS, fixie or even with gears:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I would definitely throw something in to see Slideshowbob take on blorg either SS, fixie or even with gears:D

SSB vs Blorg in a Swords club race :-)
    Will personally guarantee SSB's anonymity and will skew it by entering Blorg in 3 and SSB in one (not known to Blorg). Can even offer SSB anonymity to me by using an intermediary !

TBH think SSB was competitive but is now retired so all above in jest.

Fleetingly thought he was PK but don't now think so.

Boards is an anonymous forum so anyone who wants to keep their identity hidden is fully entitled to do so....

FTR I'm actually Lance Armstrong

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Will personally guarantee SSB's anonymity and will skew it by entering Blorg in 3 and SSB in one (not known to Blorg).

The Lion of F-all could be SSB's lead-out man - now that I would definitely pay to see...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Lion of F-all could be SSB's lead-out man - now that I would definitely pay to see...

The Lion of Fingal to give a lead out ...

Would you ask Cippolini to lead out Shaungl ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Will personally guarantee SSB's anonymity and will skew it by entering Blorg in 3 and SSB in one (not known to Blorg). Can even offer SSB anonymity to me by using an intermediary !

TBH think SSB was competitive but is now retired so all above in jest.

Fleetingly thought he was PK but don't now think so.

Boards is an anonymous forum so anyone who wants to keep their identity hidden is fully entitled to do so....

FTR I'm actually Lance Armstrong

Rob I am taken aback by your considerate offer. Splitting my sides here laughing at the forethought involved.

Could I wear this? http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/AGE/AGE015/L04-256156.jpg :D

I hope you didn't approach Paul Kimmage with any queries? :D Or that other cycling revelation Patrick Kielty for that matter :)

Lance eh ........ that explains the all indepth knowledge of PEDs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

buffalo wrote: »
    A few shots taken at the top of the KOMs at Cross of the Cage and Ardgillan/Black Hills.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianmca/sets/72157624167931278/

A family peloton passed me after the race - was that you in green bcmf? (I was on foot, not on the fixie.)
    Yep that was me, family plus one. Nice pics btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I saw the Rapha Condor team (incl. Dan Craven) devouring Apache pizza and washing it down with champagne after the race, hardly the high quality diet you'd expect for a team of their calibre but I suppose even the top guys earn a treat sometimes.

I felt sorry for the county riders who seemed to drift further and further back each time up Ardgillan hill -it was the same last year, the broomwagon went missing too so I presume if you make it to Skerries in one piece you'll be credtited with a Ras finish -seems only fair to me.

I saw the Rapha Condor team (incl. Dan Craven) devouring Apache pizza and washing it down with champagne after the race, hardly the high quality diet you'd expect for a team of their calibre but I suppose even the top guys earn a treat sometimes.

I felt sorry for the county riders who seemed to drift further and further back each time up Ardgillan hill -it was the same last year, the broomwagon went missing too so I presume if you make it to Skerries in one piece you'll be credtited with a Ras finish -seems only fair to me.

Once you're lapped your out but credited as a finisher.

Thought the county riders rode very well this year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Speaking to a county rider on his 12th Ras this year he said it's the county riders he feels have improved most. A lot of guys working less hours or cycling full time instead of working. They're not right at the front but are getting around with the main group.

Interesting talking to a few guys and their perceptions and all said there were so many moments they just closed their eyes and prayed. Scary roads at v high speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

shaungil wrote: »
    Interesting talking to a few guys and their perceptions and all said there were so many moments they just closed their eyes and prayed.

Perhaps the race needs a few more atheists, for safety's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

kerryscoob wrote: »

pity they didn't make it into the daily paper, it would give people a better understanding of the sport and the effort of training and support that goes into it.
    Bryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

shaungil wrote: »
    Speaking to a county rider on his 12th Ras this year he said it's the county riders he feels have improved most. A lot of guys working less hours or cycling full time instead of working. They're not right at the front but are getting around with the main group.

Interesting talking to a few guys and their perceptions and all said there were so many moments they just closed their eyes and prayed. Scary roads at v high speed.

WELL DONE AND CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM

While the pros are there and getting paid as its their job I think its fair to say that the county riders are the real '' MEN OF THE RAS''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Lumen wrote: »
    Perhaps the race needs a few more atheists, for safety's sake.

An implication hat cycclists might have sold their souls? Surely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

BryanL wrote: »
    pity they didn't make it into the daily paper, it would give people a better understanding of the sport and the effort of training and support that goes into it.
    Bryan

I like the way he gives credit to the support crew that help so much, it really has been an insight to the life of a rider who down the list.

Watching Ryan's blog has been great as well, the different tone of the video to the article tell and a lot, and both are great to see. But top county rider in your first Ras, thats incredibly impressive well done Ryan.

alfalad wrote: »
    I like the way he gives credit to the support crew that help so much, it really has been an insight to the life of a rider who down the list.

Watching Ryan's blog has been great as well, the different tone of the video to the article tell and a lot, and both are great to see. But top county rider in your first Ras, thats incredibly impressive well done Ryan.

Looking at RS's blog it's interesting that he thinks he would be more suited for another week of racing - pity the UK Milk Race is gone, that was 2 weeks long afaik, the way he is going he would get on an Irish team for it. Only thing longer that the Ras in terms of days on the international calendar is the 3 week Grand Tours!! would he get a start??

or does he think he rode to his full potential in the Ras? Could he have given it more?? Will he know better next year not to leave more "in the tank"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Well done to Ryan, savage ride - interview with the man himself plus some of the "supporting acts" @ http://blog.fitzcycles.ie/blog/fbd-r%C3%A1s-2010-interviews-after-stage-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

8.30 to nite rte2 a full 30 minutes . probably closer to 20 mins with adds and intro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

BryanL wrote: »
    Bryan

Couldn't agree more, probably the best reports I've read in ages, really captured the day to day fight for survival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Speaking of papers, Sunday Times had 18 pages of sport and not one mention of the Rás (even in the results section). Giro got a paragraph. The previous week a full page on Mr Landis and Co. Shame on them especially as Mr Kimmage shouldn't forget his roots. His brother Kevin won the Rás back in early 90's

A sincere thanks to all posters, photographers, RobFowl etc for all the updates, tweets and interesting links throughout the week. Who needs papers anyway.

Finally congratulations to Ryan on a great performance

• Advertisement

The Lion of Fingal to give a lead out ...

Would you ask Cippolini to lead out Shaungl ????????
    I wouldn't, but I would certainly not put it past shaungil.

I hope you are returning to the Swords league on Wednesday, RobFowl. I need to keep you behind me to pick up the pieces and hopefully put them back together again, given the state of that course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fair play to that guy and his team. They didnt seem to have a lot of luck, but kept plugging away. Awesome effort. Loved reading those pieces.
    A lot of effort goes into something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Great read. The guys (and gals) who don't ride the bikes play such a vital role in making this race such a success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

30 mins of highlights on RTE2 @ 20.30

Token gesture but better than nout.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

i w ent to see three stages during the week and some of the guys from the ucd team were shelled out 2 of the days and were a long way behind the main group but battled on to the finish each day.

well done to all the finishers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Looking at RS's blog it's interesting that he thinks he would be more suited for another week of racing - pity the UK Milk Race is gone, that was 2 weeks long afaik, the way he is going he would get on an Irish team for it. Only thing longer that the Ras in terms of days on the international calendar is the 3 week Grand Tours!! would he get a start??

or does he think he rode to his full potential in the Ras? Could he have given it more?? Will he know better next year not to leave more "in the tank"?

You don't save anything - you ride on the limit and push harder than you think possible to stay on that wheel, to make that gap, to break the other riders... It's just that my speed of recovery day to day surprised me - I could recover quicker than I expected. The setup around me was amazing - all I had to do was ride my bike - everything else was sorted - this was new to me. I surprised myself that I felt great each day - when I woke up, I didn't feel great, had breakfast, massage, got a bit of a warmup and the legs then came around.

3 weeks tours - if any team is listening and want a very eager domestique - I'm listening :) I have only been doing this cycling lark a couple of years, and this year has been the first year I took road racing in any way serious - but if there were teams out there that wanted to take me on - you know where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Well done ryan great result, reward for all the obviously very hard work put in.

What's the betting Wetterhall will be with a Pro Tour team next year?!?

The talk on the Ras after he took the jersey was that neither his team nor him were strong enough to hold it.
    I was behind his group as he pretty much single handedly drove it up Wicklow gap and not only brought back the danger men but extended his lead from 8 seconds to 59.
    I think he will be protour next year as well.

For what its worth he rides "bikepure" with the wrist band and spacers. To me thats important.

I dont buy into the whole Bike Pure thing.

What's to say that all their riders are clean or someone that doesn't sign up to it isn't?

Also, they sell products online etc - is it a not for profit organisation or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Just had Deja Vu there, read Brian Cantys last blog in the Irish examiner and noticed sections from my blog after the last stage last year ! Yay, I have a fan ! Fair play to Brian though, tough enough doing the race without having to write about it every night. By all accounts it was a vicious one this year, worse than last year even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Missed the highlights on RTE tonight, does anyone know where I could watch online, I tried RTE.ie but cant see it there.

Cheers,

Skeff

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Just had Deja Vu there, read Brian Cantys last blog in the Irish examiner and noticed sections from my blog after the last stage last year ! Yay, I have a fan ! Fair play to Brian though, tough enough doing the race without having to write about it every night. By all accounts it was a vicious one this year, worse than last year even.

haha thats akin to doping in cycle race blogging

did he use copy n paste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Missed the highlights on RTE tonight, does anyone know where I could watch online, I tried RTE.ie but cant see it there.

Cheers,

Skeff

It'll probably be up in an hour or so.

I dont buy into the whole Bike Pure thing.

What's to say that all their riders are clean or someone that doesn't sign up to it isn't?

Also, they sell products online etc - is it a not for profit organisation or what?

I take your point but to me it's part of the process of removing the "omerta" about doping.

Admitting it happens and publicly claiming to be clean is an important step.

There's quite a debate about whether charitable foundations should be not for profit or not. Those who are more commercially driven tend to achieve more (in terms of measurable outcomes). It's a european vs american ethos thing but interesting none the less.

Cheers,

Skeff

I may have to eat my words - the nine o'clock news is up now, no sign of the Rás yet. It'll be at http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=latest&g=2010-05-31 when(if) it's put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I watched those highlights on RTE last night.

Normally TV makes even the pro races look slow, but the pace on the RAS looked completely mental. The numbers posted, whilst very impressive, didn't do it justice at all.

Amazing stuff.

buffalo wrote: »
    I may have to eat my words - the nine o'clock news is up now, no sign of the Rás yet. It'll be at http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=latest&g=2010-05-31 when(if) it's put up.
    It's there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Whatever about Wettehall, does anyone know more about the guy that won two of the sprint stages incl. the finish in skerries. he seemed to just rip the pee out of the other riders the way he won both

It's there now

Direct link: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1073959

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lumen wrote: »
    I watched those highlights on RTE last night.

Normally TV makes even the pro races look slow, but the pace on the RAS looked completely mental. The numbers posted, whilst very impressive, didn't do it justice at all.

Amazing stuff.

+1 dont think ive ever seen a race on tv look that nuts, looked like eyeballs out start to finish every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

We've a link to a video of the Rás crossing the Corrobutt Gap Cat 1 KOM on the club website. http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/ (2nd or 3rd post down)

If any of you guys did the recent Mount Leinster Challenge you'll remember this climb and the previous climb of The Heights. Doubt anyone came up at the pace of David O'Loughlin though! Very little impression on the TV last night of just how steep the climb is (avg 9.5% with a max of about 15%).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

The talk on the Ras after he took the jersey was that neither his team nor him were strong enough to hold it.
    I was behind his group as he pretty much single handedly drove it up Wicklow gap and not only brought back the danger men but extended his lead from 8 seconds to 59.

The headwind on that stage up the climbs made it very tough for anyone to attack him & stay away.

All said, he held his nerve well & is obviously pretty good in the hills.

giannip wrote: »
    The headwind on that stage up the climbs made it very tough for anyone to attack him & stay away.

All said, he held his nerve well & is obviously pretty good in the hills.

I know Alexander from racing with him on the MTB in Cyprus in 2009. A very very strong rider (and a nice guy) and a great climber so once I saw the position he was in after Friday I knew he would be fine in the last few days. The pace up Glenmalure was crazy - flat out TT effort but the Wicklow Gap was different - many attacks on the way up with some lulls (thankfully). Again, when we hit the following two climbs, it was all strung out. Exciting for me, I'm sure he was buzzing from it all!

Time up Wicklow Gap for me was 16:15 (from the turnoff at the bottom to the tip top - we had a headwind too - 397W inc zeros but it was very surgey). I was in the group for 75% of it but tailed off a little towards the top. I caught back on again (thankfully) on the descent.

Going back to Lumens 6W/kg remark - that would have been if the road was smooth - it was not at all which placed me around 6.15W/kg. The first minute up Glenmalure was 570W until we settled into something more sustainable.

Time up Wicklow Gap for me was 16:15 (from the turnoff at the bottom to the tip top - we had a headwind too - 397W inc zeros but it was very surgey). I was in the group for 75% of it but tailed off a little towards the top. I caught back on again (thankfully) on the descent.

Going back to Lumens 6W/kg remark - that would have been if the road was smooth - it was not at all which placed me around 6.15W/kg. The first minute up Glenmalure was 570W until we settled into something more sustainable.

Enviable figures to say the least :-)

Are you looking after your own training?

Re: MTB, you should have a go at the Cape Epic :D

giannip wrote: »
    Enviable figures to say the least :-)

Are you looking after your own training?

Re: MTB, you should have a go at the Cape Epic :D

Yeah, I train myself, Mel and another couple of riders that shall remain nameless.

Cape Epic - I would love to - all to do with €€€. If there was an opertunity in a team, I would jump at the chance. Crocodile Trophy (http://www.crocodile-trophy.com/) is another one that would be cool. TdF yellow jersey owners said it was more difficult than the Tour. Huge stages, lots of heat and rough terrain.

Yeah, I train myself, Mel and another couple of riders that shall remain nameless.

Cape Epic - I would love to - all to do with €€€. If there was an opertunity in a team, I would jump at the chance. Crocodile Trophy (http://www.crocodile-trophy.com/) is another one that would be cool. TdF yellow jersey owners said it was more difficult than the Tour. Huge stages, lots of heat and rough terrain.

Cool.

Have few friends who do it every year.

There's usually one or two people who pull out for some reason so, will keep my ears open for you.

who has the most rasanna under their belt?

Heard Gaybo Howard was up there but C Bracken and D Peelo must be up their in the 20's each

Are they both going for the record?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

was this your first ras ryan?

• Advertisement

who has the most rasanna under their belt?

Heard Gaybo Howard was up there but C Bracken and D Peelo must be up their in the 20's each

Are they both going for the record?
    Don't what the most appearances is, but Shay O'Hanlon must be up there with 23, and a whole host of Ras records

Advertisement