Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tunings

• 21-05-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

YO!

Just wondering what people are generally like for tunings? do most people stay in standard? EADGBE?

I'm never in standard, don't think i ever have been.

My standard for a 6-string is Drop C ~(CGCFAD)
    and my 7string is in Drop G (GDGCFAD)

I think they sound lovely :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I'd be mostly in standard myelf, I like the open tunings though. Drop D and open D were the first I started exploring in. To be honest I don't know that many others. I love the 'Steven Stills' tuning (EEEEBE) smoe lovely sounds from that. I don't know what this is but I love playing around with it. DGCGCD, Led Zeps Rain Song is in that tuning, thats how I found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Both of my seven strings are in standard EBGDAEB, my strat is in dropped C# and my basses are generally in normal tuning as well. Having the low B helps to avoid having to retune to play along with a song if it's in dropped D/dropped C# etc :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Electric is nearly always in standard eadgbe, though on rare occasions open G for rolling stones stuff. Sometimes Drop the E strings to D for some songs. One acoustics is always in standard, the other one in dadgad or open G depending on the mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Maybe the Gibson Dusk Tiger is for you.

new-technology-guitar-gibson-dusk-tiger-guitar-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

for who?

Standard has always seemed too high to me? I love the low end..I used to play bass a lot but I think I even de-tuned that a fair bit.

EDIT: ^ You should change your sig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    EDIT: ^ You should change your sig

Too busy playing my geetar. Maybe someday..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

My 5-string Is in BEADG, is use it for playing in EADG too.
    My 4 string is used for everthing in between depending on what I'm playing, currently in DGCF as I was learning some Death tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm down a half step on some of my guitars. And occasionally change to open E/D Major for some fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I play most of our songs in standard, with one in D A C# G B E and one in D A D F# B E.

Used to play with Lou Reed's Ostrich tuning (DDDDDD) a bit. It's cool but really limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I usually tune standard on both guitar and bass. I used to tune down half a step when I was younger but ended up back at standard.

I'm gonna try out open A today when I restring my guitar as I'm going to try learn Answering Machine by the Replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

If you wanna experiment with some different tunings I recommend..

Soundgarden if you play electric - lots of interesting tunings like DGDGBC on 'Like Suicide'

Nick Drake for acoustic - again, loads of great tunings - try BEBEBE like on 'Man In A Shed'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

open C or open E are my favs at the moment. dadgad is great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

This is something I've been considering the past while, reading about Iommi using 9s to tune his Gibson SG down to C#. I went down to D just recently with 9s, no probs. Might as well try the extra half-step and see how things hold up. Haven't used drop tunings myself but do people actually make any other use of them apart from easier power chords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

fobster wrote: »
    This is something I've been considering the past while, reading about Iommi using 9s to tune his Gibson SG down to C#. I went down to D just recently with 9s, no probs. Might as well try the extra half-step and see how things hold up. Haven't used drop tunings myself but do people actually make any other use of them apart from easier power chords?

I'd rarely use power chords tbh, mostly picking when I'm that low otherwise things can get a little muddy. Thats just my opinion tho, each to their own :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Here's a thing I've been playing with, I'm currently trying to write a song around it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Dreamy!

I'm a standard tuning guy, sometimes use drop D when required for singing purposes/twanging country licks. I use open G when I want to get my Son House on.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

Sonic youth have some brilliant info about their tunings here...

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/tab/tuning.html

Some of them are just nuts! :eek: Bear in mind, a lot of these need re-stringing! (i found out the hard way :o)

My fav is CGDGCD, its got a nice growl, but playable high end too!

Advertisement