Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian visa application! (I HATE USIT!)

Options
  • 21-05-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,
    I applied for a Canadian Student Working Holiday visa 5 weeks ago, and proceeded to book flights through trailfinders (outgoing on May 30th, which I sent to USIT straightaway)and accomodation. Subsequently heard from USIT two weeks ago that I had omitted to answer the affiliations section on my application (i.e i hadnt written n/a in the box) so I had to re-send it. After numerous emails, I rang today and heard my visa wont be processed for 6-8 weeks.. and that I should have booked my flights with USIT as advised. I rang trailfinders, to change my outgoing flight will cost upwards of 800e as in July the flight prices to Vancouver skyrocket. I have also already stated in an email to the administration of the Frat House im staying in that I will pay for 3 months rent regardless of how long I am in the Frat, and I have paid a deposit.

I have heard that plently of people still fly if their visas are pending (and I know somoneone planning on doing this), but USIT has told me either in Dublin airport or in Vancouver I will not get through immigration.. and I don't know if im prepared to put myself at that risk.Im wondering about my options and would be so appreciative of any advice. I dont know if I should cancel my visa, and try and get a job without it..but would I get through immigration in this situation either?

Thanks alot smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

mostdelish wrote: »
    Hello,

I have heard that plently of people still fly if their visas are pending (and I know somoneone planning on doing this), but USIT has told me either in Dublin airport or in Vancouver I will not get through immigration.. and I don't know if im prepared to put myself at that risk.Im wondering about my options and would be so appreciative of any advice. I dont know if I should cancel my visa, and try and get a job without it..but would I get through immigration in this situation either?

Thanks alot smile.gif

Okay well you are in a bit of crap because you've paid a deposit on accomodation and will have to pay rent there soon.And its 800 quid to change your flight :( And to make matters worse USIT are rubbing their nose at you :eek:

But let me get this straight- is a Canadian visa issued in your passport or is it instead a piece of paper that you exchange at the immigration control for a stamp in your passport giving you a year to work? Because if its the latter then there's nothing stopping you going there on a tourist visa (90 days I think) and waiting for your visa voucher to go through. Then get it posted out to Canada and bring it to immigration to stamp your passport for a one year visa.

I'm not 100% sure is this method fully legal, you'd better check that one out yourself. Don't find yourself the wrong side of immigration- they'll take a dim view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If it's anything like the US, the visa has to be applied to your passport in Ireland... so if you go out on a tourist visa, you have to come home again to change the visa.

Advertisement