Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern vs Inter - Champions League Final

• 21-05-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA Champions League Final 2010

bayern-munchen-munich-logo-crest.gifVS inter_milan_badge_203_203x152.jpg

Venue: Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid

Date: Saturday, 22 May

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Live: RTE 2 from 19:00, ITV 1 from 19:00, Sky Sports 1 from 18:00.

Team news from BBC:
    Bayern Munich are without suspended winger Franck Ribery so Thomas Mueller should partner Ivica Olic in attack.

Argentine centre-back Martin Demichelis is fit again allowing Holger Badstuber to revert to left-back.

Inter Milan captain Javier Zanetti is set to move up from defence to replace suspended midfielder Thiago Motta, with Cristian Chivu playing at left-back.

Centre-back Lucio has recovered from a calf injury and should anchor the defence with Walter Samuel.

Inter are set to use the same four-man attack deployed against Barcelona.

Inter manager Jose Mourinho has been testing a 4-2-3-1 formation that includes Goran Pandev, Wesley Sneijder and Samuel Eto'o positioned behind and around centre forward Diego Milito.

All four forwards were also utilised in the two wins over Chelsea in the first knockout round and the 3-1 victory over Barcelona in the opening leg of the semi-finals.

Meanwhile for Zanetti the game marks his 700th appearance in all competitions for Inter while Eto'o is attempting to become only the second player in the history of the competition to score in three different European Cup finals.

Eto'o found the net in Barcelona's 2-0 victory over Manchester United last season and the Catalan side's 2-1 win against Arsenal in 2006.

The 29-year-old would join Real Madrid legend Alfredo di Stefano as the only players to achieve the feat.

"Those two finals were against English teams," said the Cameroon star.

"This will be a new kind of experience - me at a different club, coming up against a great Bayern team. Let's wait and see."

Despite the absence of Ribery, widely regarded as one of the finest players in the world, captain Mark van Bommel believes that another one of their star players - Arjen Robben - can take centre stage.

Robben has scored crucial goals against Fiorentina and Manchester United in previous rounds and Van Bommel knows how important the Dutch winger is to Bayern.

"I'm glad he's playing for us, I don't know why Real didn't want him, he's very important for us, he scores very important goals and he also plays very well," said Van Bommel.

"The team knows how to play for him and he knows how to play for us. We compliment each other very well, everyone knows what to do in his position and Arjen is working very well. I love having him here."

Who's going to win it then? :cool:

Who will win the 2010 Champions League? 18 votes

Bayern Munich
    0%
    Inter Milan
    100%
    pickarooneyapplehunter[Deleted User]Davei141JPAeZe^GLaDOSDubDaniNozebleedFreeOSCARBoskowski[Deleted User]Handsome BobredoutDiabhal BeagAidricGSPfansmallerthanyou 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Inter 2-1 would be nice with Milito scoring and Toulose also winning.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I predict a borefest.
    I hope I'm wrong.

Glazers Out!

Inter Milan
    If Inter score first it'll be a borefest.

If Bayern score first it'll be a cracker.

I'm going with 2-1 Bayern.

Btw, Bayern are cracking odds @ 5/2 for the win (90mins):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hopefully Bayern, but I think it will be Inter Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't call it as reckon it will be very close, and probably decided by something like a set piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I hope Inter win, I wanna see Mourinhon do well. Love the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

On reflection, I can't see the Inter defence that kept a lid on Barcelona over two legs being taken in by Robben's cut in and shoot trick.
    I'm expecting it to be a dull affair but the class of Inter's overall play, and their strength as a unit will be too much for a very fortuante Bayern side.
    That said, Bayern have beaten better teams all the way to the final with the exception of a terrible Lyon side, so they could just be as jammy again in the final.
    Neither of these sides really make me want to be glued to the telly tomorrow night, in fact its the first time in years where I actually couldn't care less if I missed the final of the Champions League.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Inter Milan
    I hope Inter and Jose have a bit of faith in their ability and show they can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Inter cos I didn't bet on them at 14/1 as was told was too stupid and it'd never happen. Never learn from my mistakes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I've had a good feeling about Bayern all along and no reason to stop now, reckon they'll take it. Saying that no Ribery is a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A battling 1-0 to Inter probably. I bet that's what Jose is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Inter Milan
    There'll definitely be a whole lot of crap boring football played and not sure I'm going to watch it all but I'll give it a try. I think it'll be closer than the poll suggests though. I'd say 1-0 either way but hoping it's Munich. Jose would be even more insufferable if he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

In the first prediction thread, I said Bayern. Not saying this to show how great I am, but I hope Inter win. Their performances against Barcelona were a masterclass. Plus I really, really love Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yeah I hope and think Inter will take this. I'm looking forward to this final more than any non United final in years curiously enough. Not sure why, possibly the freshness of teh contestants, but mainly because of the masterclass Jose and his team of warriors have put on this season in putting out Chelsea and Barca, the champions of the two best leagues in the world. What a manager he is. Love the guy. Also would love to see an immense pro like Zanetti win the big one. Inter's Tony Browne.:pac:

Also loving the Saturday night final. Great chance to fire a few steaks on teh BBQ and relax knowing theres no pesky work in the morning to spoil the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

This is the toughest opposition Bayern will come up against in this years CL and to have to do it without Ribery is a huge task. I'll be rooting for them but i'm predicting Inter to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Really finding myself not caring about this and just looking ahead to the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Inter Milan
    Bayern. This one had Bayern written all over it since the jammy escape in Turin.

Inter Milan
    CSF wrote: »
    Really finding myself not caring about this and just looking ahead to the WC.

Why bother posting then?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Why bother posting then?
    Because I consider it pretty strange for me to feel that way. Says something about the 2 teams in the final imo.

Inter Milan
    Because I consider it pretty strange for me to feel that way. Says something about the 2 teams in the final imo.

That you have no connection to them? Or that they're not 'rated'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just hoping for a great game and for Dunphy to punch Souness....or vice versa

Just hoping for a great game and for Dunphy to punch Souness....or vice versa

Unfortunately Sky said they are expecting Souey, but he might do it to Ronnie.

Boskowski wrote: »
    That you have no connection to them? Or that they're not 'rated'?
    I think it is the lack of a real world class superpower (ala Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea, don't really think Inter fit the bill) or a fairytale story with a team who wouldn't normally be expected to make it anywhere near the final. Can't find anything to make me really care who wins tomorrow. Rooting for Bayern I suppose. Whereas if 1 of the above categories was in there it'd be easy to be up for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The real match is at Wembley tomorrow, the make-up of the CL final is unappealing, it really needed Barca to make it this year but Inter's stubborness put an end to that.

Inter to come through 1-0 with Eto'o getting the goal in a squalid tight game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

baz2009 wrote: »
    I hope Inter win, I wanna see Mourinhon do well. Love the man.

you work with the british media right ;)

I think it is the lack of a real world class superpower (ala Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea

:confused:

rossie1977 wrote: »
    So you're saying Chelsea aren't 1 of the superpowers in European football at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think it is the lack of a real world class superpower (ala Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea, don't really think Inter fit the bill) or a fairytale story with a team who wouldn't normally be expected to make it anywhere near the final. Can't find anything to make me really care who wins tomorrow. Rooting for Bayern I suppose. Whereas if 1 of the above categories was in there it'd be easy to be up for someone.

On what grounds that exclude Bayern and Inter are Manchester United currently a - your words - world class superpower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

So basically everyone is dismissing this game as a nothing just because the so-called best team in the world (Barcelona FC) are not in the final? Or because there is a lack of an English team???

I'll admit, Barcelona probably still are the best team in the world and I could even go so far as to say they 'deserve' to be in the final. The simple fact remains: for the best team in the world, they had no Plan B. Inter threw the gates across their goal, had only 10 men for the vast majority of the game and still Barca could not unlock the defence. Barca's typical manner of pass-pass-pass-pass-pass, which is beautiful and so inspiring to watch, was never going to pass muster against the 11-behind-the-ball (and then 10-behind-the-ball) that Inter were going to play in defending their precious 2-goal lead.

Barca simply had no Plan B to circumvent Inter, none of their superstars truly performed as they simply were not allowed to by an incredibly well prepared, disciplined and well-drilled Inter. By playing to their strengths (and acknowledging the fact that they could never hope to beat Barca at their own game) Inter successfully saw off stern challenges and (one or two dodgy referee decisions aside; about time Barca felt the sting of incompetant UEFA referees!!!) emerged victorious and are now favourites to lift their first European Cup/Champions League since 1965.

Inter also saw off the challenge of my own Beloved Blues, and saw them off quite easily. The current champions of England were brushed aside 3-1 on aggregate, including a humiliating and impotent performance in Stamford Bridge. It was the discipline, preparation and pure guile of Mourinho's Inter that saw to this. On paper, Chelsea were superior. On the surface that actually mattered, Inter walked all over them, never allowing meaningful moves to arise.

For this and more, Inter deserve respect as being more than worthy to grace a Champions League Final.

Bayern Munich are incredibly similar (as it stands) to Inter; well-drilled, disciplined and incredibly dogged. This does not mean that they are less deserving of a spot in the Champions League Final than anyone else. People would howl to have a team like Manchester United, Real Madrid, Arsenal, et al, in the Final ahead of Bayern. Bayern are not "rated". They do not play in the English Premier League or La Liga, so they should not be there... B****cks.

Bayern took the mould that Inter had; solid defence, uninspiring yet effective play and incredible mental strength. They comprehensively grabbed a result against Juve in the group stages to snatch a place in the last 16 in a 'must win' fixture. The mental strength shown by the team that night was awesome and they have just been going and going, gouging and grinding their results out against teams that may be flashier and more attractive, but who says you have to win pretty?

Fiorentina were looking a bit tasty in the group stages and could potentially have made the quarters, but Bayern secured a place and were deemed to have gotten a nightmare draw; Manchester United. The then-champions of England may have been dimmed a bit, but with Wayne Rooney in full flight and Bayern not looking up to much (yet) how could anything go wrong and not be to script???

A toothless United performance in the Allianz Arena saw them take the lead inside 2 minutes, but then relax and allow Bayern to sneak the game 2-1 with a lucky free kick from Ribéry and then a superb piece of skill from Olic. But United still had their away goal... Old Trafford would be Bayern's falling block.

3-0 down and crashing out of Europe to the old enemy Man U, Bayern were on the ropes. Did they give up? Did they f**k. Again, showing a united, strong front and displaying the mental strength I mentioned before, they clawed a goal back. Game on. Score once more and it's hello Lyon in the semis. Former Chelsea man Robben (arguably Bayern's player of the season) stepped up and with a sublime volley from a Ribery corner, sent United out on their arse.

A 4-0 thrashing of Lyon (including a 3-0 win in Lyon) on aggregate followed for Bayern. Albeit, these were two of the worst games of football I've seen in a long time, to beat a team 4-0 on aggregate in the Champions League semis takes more than just a smile. This was acheived through some excellent play by Bayern and the strength they displayed throughout was evident. I'll admit, they squandered chances left-right-centre and could have been punished, but they got the job done.

These two teams are by no stretch the best 'footballing' sides in Europe, but they did not have to be. They played to their strengths when needed and exploited weakness in opposition, rather than playing the so-called (but sometimes ineffectual) 'beautiful' form of football. No team is ever going to outpass or outplay Barcelona, but why try to? Beat them another way by getting stuck into them and grinding them down. Same with Man United, Chelsea anyone...

They may not be the most fashionable, flashy, 'rated' teams in Europe... but they played superbly to their own strengths and they prepared well and maintained a discipline to reach the pinnacle of club football. Fair play to both of them and here's hoping it will be a cracker of a final!

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    On what grounds that exclude Bayern and Inter are Manchester United currently a - your words - world class superpower?
    Oh my god, go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Hope I'm wrong but I expect a tedious encounter and I don't find Mourinho or his style of football interesting,certainly not appealing.Yea Blackpool v Cardiff is potentially a more exciting football contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Could be a cracker if Bayern score first and score early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rossie1977 wrote: »

That confuses you? They have been one of the top 5 clubs in Europe for each of the last 5 or 6 years. Stop being an eijit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Inter Milan
    I'll be supporting the underdogs in Bayern, but it'd be awesome to see Eto'o become the only player in history to win back to back trebles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Dont care who wins but I just hope its good to watch. Might throw down a bet if there are some good odds going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If inter score first it'll be 1-0 until 5 minutes into injury time when they get the 2nd on a counter attack.

Inter Milan
    Bayern have been awesome this year. They got the best with what they have. Had Ireland somehow made it into a WC final against Brazil nobody would give a dam and say they're 'not worthy' and Spain should be there instead. People would be on about their fighting spirit and their resilience and whatnot.
    If you're there you're worthy. Period. The rest is in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

As a neutral I tend to always be supporting the underdogs but both sides are going for a treble so I can't feel too bad for whoever loses! Want to see Inter win though, big fan of Mourinho, Sneijder and Milito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Inter Milan
    Inter 83%?!

I think it's quite a 50/50 match. I reckon the Mourinho factor is swaying peoples votes big time.

That confuses you? They have been one of the top 5 clubs in Europe for each of the last 5 or 6 years. Stop being an eijit.

so recent success in europe (or lack thereof in chelseas case) determines who is a world class superpower. does that mean lyon are a bigger team than real madrid because they got further in europe last few years ;)

only in soccer could a fan say two teams with 6 european cup and 5 uefa cups between em are not real superpowers compared to a club with none of those trophies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JPA wrote: »
    Inter 83%?!

I think it's quite a 50/50 match. I reckon the Mourinho factor is swaying peoples votes big time.

I'll openly state that that's the case for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Hope it will be good match. Cant see Bayern winning it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

JPA wrote: »
    Inter 83%?!

They knocked out Barcelona over 2 legs.

*bite bite*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to care about this for some reason, still hopefully Bayern score first as that should mean an open game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Inter Milan
    Hope Bayern Munich do it, I don't really fancy seeing Jose lift another CL trophy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Inter Milan
    Munich on penalties

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fiver on Inter to win 3-0 at 33/1. Here's hoping for an early Inter goal followed by two late ones as Bayern chase the game!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hope at the end of this Zanetti will be standing tall with the trophy above him :)

He truly deserves it.

Prediction: 2-1 to Inter

I think it will be tight but I'll get off the fence and say Inter by a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon Milito will have alot of joy against the bayern defence

• Advertisement
Advertisement