Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern vs Inter - Champions League Final

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wasn't impressed with the quality of the tournament overall this year tbh. A bit meh...

I don't know. The Inter / Barca semi - final has to rank as one of the best two legged ties ever contested in the competition. Had everything in a fascinating contest between two completely different styles of play.

The Utd / Bayern quarter final saw some brilliant football being played in the second leg at Old Trafford, featuring great direct play at times from the home side and impressive slow build possession football from Bayern.

The Real Madrid / Lyon tie was entertaining the whole way through and was played to a great pace between two technically accomplished sides.

The tournament included an array of astonishing goals of all shapes and sizes, right the way through the competition.

I think people get overly fixated on the quality of a final when attempting to assess a competition as a whole in its immediate aftermath. There is also a tendency to think negatively of a competition if the pre tournament favourites fail to succeed. I honestly believe that if you shine a light on most Champions League competitions since its inception you will see a similar ratio of brilliant : brutal that we enjoyed this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Archimedes wrote: »
    Their copy of the rule book must have stated you only have to play well for 89 minutes then. That sucks!
    Game is played over ninety minutes. Admittedly it was a bit of a smash and grab win re the goals but no one was complaining about the result tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Game is played over ninety minutes. Admittedly it was a bit of a smash and grab win re the goals but no one was complaining about the result tbh.

Boskowski was, that's why this topic arose.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

baz2009 wrote: »
    Boskowski was, that's why this topic arose.:confused:
    Yes got that. When I say no one I meant no one involved in the game that I know of

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fabulous finishing, the 2nd goal in particular really reminds of Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Fabulous finishing, the 2nd goal in particular really reminds of Torres.

Two absolute world class goals... well worthy of winning any game. I hope Milito delivers more of the same in a few weeks time for Argentina...

Also, he scored the winner in both the Coppa d'Italia and Inter's final crunch game in the Serie A... He'll be a hero to Inter now, no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't know. The Inter / Barca semi - final has to rank as one of the best two legged ties ever contested in the competition. Had everything in a fascinating contest between two completely different styles of play.

The Utd / Bayern quarter final saw some brilliant football being played in the second leg at Old Trafford, featuring great direct play at times from the home side and impressive slow build possession football from Bayern.

The Real Madrid / Lyon tie was entertaining the whole way through and was played to a great pace between two technically accomplished sides.

The tournament included an array of astonishing goals of all shapes and sizes, right the way through the competition.

I think people get overly fixated on the quality of a final when attempting to assess a competition as a whole in its immediate aftermath. There is also a tendency to think negatively of a competition if the pre tournament favourites fail to succeed. I honestly believe that if you shine a light on most Champions League competitions since its inception you will see a similar ratio of brilliant : brutal that we enjoyed this year.

I wasn't talking about the entertainment value. I enjoyed all the games you mentioned, although I disagree that the Inter Barce tie was one of the best ever. I was refering to the quality of the teams this year and I was of the same opinion before the final so that hasn't effected my opinion. Bayern were a poor side to get to a final, United were poor, Milan were shocking, Liverpool were poor, Arsenal were poor. I know there are teams who fail to perform every year, just more of them than usual this year imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Inter Milan
    killwill wrote: »
    What was not fair and square about '99???

Nothing. That came out wrong. I meant no reason to feel hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes got that. When I say no one I meant no one involved in the game that I know of

Sammy Kuffour didn't look too happy.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Inter Milan
    For context, read his posts in both legs of Utd v Bayern threads.
    ;)
    (ABU)

ye I really don't like them true. But still it came out wrong.
    I do respect them and all was fair and square in 99. I guess 'robbed' is the more appropriate term which is a compliment to utd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the entertainment value. I enjoyed all the games you mentioned, although I disagree that the Inter Barce tie was one of the best ever. I was refering to the quality of the teams this year and I was of the same opinion before the final so that hasn't effected my opinion. Bayern were a poor side to get to a final, United were poor, Milan were shocking, Liverpool were poor, Arsenal were poor. I know there are teams who fail to perform every year, just more of them than usual this year imo.

Have to say for me its one of the most fascinating, enthralling 2 legged battles I've ever had the plesure to watch. So many layers, so much drama, incredible tactical battle between two brilliant managers, controversy, it had the lot.

Advertisement