Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Daughter got her hands on my camera.....

• 21-05-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

and this is what I found on it.

4627093062_c08f7f4e2a.jpg
    4626486625_d789a6a065.jpg
    4626487537_3a58e41dbe.jpg
    4627096120_9696745617.jpg
    4627098416_bd2736f191.jpg
    4626492487_00c9ff98c3.jpg
    4626493825_6e6e46e95c.jpg
    4627714494_4a18cfb360.jpg
    4627715812_9e5866a21d.jpg

What do you think should I ground her? She's 14.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Dude, sorry, she's better than you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

get her a 2nd hand slr for her next birthday if she doesn't already have one. i like her style.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I really like those!

Has she got her own camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I was expecting you to say she was 5 or 6, was impressed right up to where you said she was 14, TBH if you'd have lied and said that she was 5 or 6 id have even thanked you for the pics! but knowing she is 14 im unimpressed!

in answer to your question yeah sure ground her untill september when the hols are over that'll teach her.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

daycent wrote: »
    Dude, sorry, she's better than you!

Ground for a month and lock away the camera too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Love the 5th. great imagination.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I really like those!

Has she got her own camera?

She has a samsung point and shot which rearly gets used.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    4626493825_6e6e46e95c.jpg

It's a Mini adventure :)

Get her her own camera. Photography's a good hobby (in my opinion).

EDIT: Just seen your post above.. Does she like photography? Seems a bit on the odd side that she'd purposely set up photographs to take with your camera if she ahs her own already that she rarely uses? :confused:

The stuff on her camera is kids on the green, the dog and the camera is not great, but the above was out of the blue. It was a nice surprise to come across it on the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was expecting you to say she was 5 or 6, was impressed right up to where you said she was 14, TBH if you'd have lied and said that she was 5 or 6 id have even thanked you for the pics! but knowing she is 14 im unimpressed!

in answer to your question yeah sure ground her untill september when the hols are over that'll teach her.....

Are you serious? She's only 14! I think they're great for someone that age! I have a 13, soon to be 14 year old daughter myself [yeah, i know, I noly look about 24 ... ] And if she took an interest in what I love doing like this - I'd be well chuffed.

A 5-6 yr old would never capture images in focus like this.

• Advertisement

Are you serious? She's only 14! I think they're great for someone that age! I have a 13, soon to be 14 year old daughter myself [yeah, i know, I noly look about 24 ... ] And if she took an interest in what I love doing like this - I'd be well chuffed.

A 5-6 yr old would never capture images in focus like this.

If i wasn't serious do you think id have wrote it?

I'm entitled to my opinion as much as the next person!

Auto focus was a great invention, i had a 2year old take photos with my camera today, there were grand as in focus wise!

Also Oshead (i think) his daughter frequently takes great photos and she is far from 14, i know a good few 9 - 10 year olds take loadsa photos now usually with their own point and shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Post up a few of your own there Homer and we'll compare :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Impressed, but hard to know if she's got beginner's luck or is genuinely talented!

Was the camera on automatic settings?

daycent wrote: »
    Post up a few of your own there Homer and we'll compare :D

Compair what a 2year olds photos to a 14year olds photos sure, if thats what ya want feel free, she knows to press the shutter button, and knows that if you hold it down its takes cont photos here are the last 7 on the memory card, the close up on in the car her sis admitted to puting on the flash for her when i asked (her sister is 11 btw, so judging by the above comments she is a superstar for knowing how to use flash!) and some of them were cropped by me when i put them onto comp earlier

http://picasaweb.google.com/110077960140202901749/2152010#

If i wasn't serious do you think id have wrote it?

I'm entitled to my opinion as much as the next person!

Auto focus was a great invention, i had a 2year old take photos with my camera today, there were grand as in focus wise!

Also Oshead (i think) his daughter frequently takes great photos and she is far from 14, i know a good few 9 - 10 year olds take loadsa photos now usually with their own point and shoot.

Who denied you your opinion? Just think you're a little OTT there, calm down son.

They're great pics for a 14yr old tbh. You must have genius kids?

Go you.

Who denied you your opinion? Just think you're a little OTT there, calm down son.

They're great pics for a 14yr old tbh. You must have genius kids?

Go you.

I dont have kids, i am calm very calm, for all you know im a 12year old myself, lol (im not BTW), judging by the posts above i must live in a "a town called eurika" then so cos must 14 year olds if not all know how to shoot photos, they all have a camera of some sort weather on a camera phone or a P&S camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I imagine the OPs daughter would own the copyright on these photos, no? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Friday night = drunky post night.

I dont have kids, i am calm very calm, for all you know im a 12year old myself, lol (im not BTW), judging by the posts above i must live in a "a town called eurika" then so cos must 14 year olds if not all know how to shoot photos, they all have a camera of some sort weather on a camera phone or a P&S camera.

Yeah, they all have a camera of some sort, but they take terrible photos. Come on, these are beautiful towards the norm - upload to facebook, OOF, weird angle shots we normally see from teens!

Yeah, they all have a camera of some sort, but they take terrible photos. Come on, these are beautiful towards the norm - upload to facebook, OOF, weird angle shots we normally see from teens!

I have posted up photos that were taken today by my GF's 2 year old god-daughter (see last post on previous page) ohh yeah agreed some are terrible but some are grand, im by no means a good photographer but them photos above do nout for me! the last one is good compisition with the beady yokes in the pot but thats it (sorry op).

My innitial reaction to your posts was re the focus and i think the focus comment you made was silly! Anyone can focus a photo now with Autofocus.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Ok, go to bed.

Night.

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I like the photos. Simplistic in nature and thats their greatest appeal to me. The fact that they were taken by a 14 yo IMO is no big deal really, but it is nice. :)

I do believe that anyone can take photos. What could be more difficult than point and click. Especially these days with the abilities of digital cameras. As homer says, my daughter 3½ yo regularly takes shots and one was even voted joint first in the portrait challenge a few weeks back.

The talent is not necessarily in the mechanical ability of the photographer, though it is somewhat. The real ability IMO is the photographers eye. NORTH1's daughter eye is different than everyone else's and that's what makes these photos remarkable and original in their own way. Simple as that. Better or worse than anything else that gets posted on these threads? Who knows? :) But I for one like them.

Expecially this one. :)

Our 2.5yr old regularly grabs one of my old p&s cams, no longer any use to me so I leave them laying around for the kids - and takes 'interesting' pics, but nothing special. Our 6yr old gets the focus better, but again, apart from the odd accidental nice shot - nothing special.

The point is, yes, anyone can take a nice photo - but they're mostly an accident. To get a series of pics, nicely in focus [we all know people who cannot half press a shutter button to focus] and nicely detailed ... for a 14yr old who isn't particularly into photography ... is something. I think the kid did good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I wouldn't get her dslr just yet as she has a p+s already. I think we can ignore the focus but the framing on some is nice the mini one is nice the kid seems to have an eye for a shot.

encourage it but let her set her own pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Homer Simpson you've lost the plot just like ur famous namesake. ;)

North 1 I am from the camp and I know it's terrible but I do think your daughter has more natural talent.
    Also how can you ground a 14 year old for using your camera, unless you said that tongue in cheek.
    Where I'm from 14 year old girls are in the majority where they drink at the bottom of our flats with their fellas.....and thats only what I see ;)
    so Camera using 14 year olds are def a safer bet for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ha ha - Loved those, thanks for posting.

- I suppose to encourage this would mean an instant loss of interest on yer Daughters part - Human nature and all......

Forbid all things Photography-related and see what greatness happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

These are excellent, she has a great eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have to say she has potential..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

When I first saw this thread I thought it was you! :p

Here's another similar thread : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=229944

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I know nothing about photography other than what I like and dislike. IMO 4 and 8 are good shots. Get her a camera of her own, she obviously has an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Your daughter has out done us all in some repects ! Kudos to her.

FDA619C2CBE54700BC7F59DDF1D2EE74-800.jpg
    4E1FAF5111FB4F39BF7AF1A55E30AF82-800.jpg
    64363FEF0618407284D29FE21E1AF1F0-800.jpg
    83B57D86A0604645AEFF914CF6151AD8-800.jpg
    30C4B1C0A55A41608A8F8D79A2ABB055-800.jpg

This was her latest adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Begin to develop a portfolio with her - if she comes to CAO/college stuff in a couple of years and as her 10th option she opt's for possibly doing photography (yes - the 10th option does actually count although if she includes it as #1 it would be much better :)), she will be asked to submit a portfolio. She needs great stuff to impress or else be ready to go on the one year portfolio prep course (which in itself is fine). So my suggestion is to store it up and encourage for portfolio purposes.

As is, I think she has a better eye than a LOT of people on the likes of Flickr! No messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

North1 those are some really good shots. Are u sure you're not taking them?

• Advertisement

Ha Ha have you seen me put up anything this good?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

What camera is it?
    Great photos BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you're going to ground her.. make sure you sentence her to taking craploads of photos of her own device.

She's got a talent for it. :)

This was her latest adventure.

Hmm... A little too organised looking. I'm thinking there may have been some adult supervision here...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Whatever about the quality / eye etc. who cares. She's 14 and showing an interest. Anything that keeps a 14 year old interested in something other than hanging around is to be encouraged. She is showing an interest in something off her own bat. Encourage it.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear,

The grounding was a joke.
    She had sole set up on the camera and shots( I wasnt even around for the first bunch)
    The shot where in raw and I processed them with little or no adjustment to the shots.
    Apart from the bird feeder to attract the birds I dont think I have ever used a prop in a shot, that was probably my biggest surprise when coming across the first bunch of shots.

Thanks guys for the positive comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Earthnohow

(1) First thing you must do is not tell her about this publishing of her work.
    (2) Be proud that you have such a young creative mind in you midst.
    (3) Do not overwhelm her with technology (let her experiment with what she has already)
    (4) Show her your valued interest in her imaginative approach to these subjects.
    (5) Buy her some basic books on still life Photography, particularly those with B&W images.
    (6) She has started to experiment with the world of 2D imagery at the perfect age and she will grow to love it more as she receives much applause and encouragement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

What do you think should I ground her? She's 14.

That's my favourite. Don't dare ground her. Encourage her, give her a few basic pointers (don't stand over her) or overload her with info, just explain that camera gear is not cheap and must be treated with respect.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but that's a pretty harsh way of expressing it, I noticed you said you don't have kids, that's got nothing to do with anything. No matter what age somebody is, if they show an interest in photography, then encourage them, help them learn, but don't smack them down just because you can or because you are entitled to an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

i think these are great. a creative hobby should definetely be encouraged in a teenager. well done her

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

You should be as proud as punch ...

it's great to see a 14 year old show an interest in something like that ...

If she were my daughter , I'd let her keep the camera , whatever it cost, she obviously knows how to use it and feels comfortable with it , and then I'd go and get myself another camera ...

it's so nice to see something positive and uplifting for a change ..

Advertisement