Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest a cheapish, reliable tourer (500~750cc) for a returning biker

• 21-05-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

:o OK, mid-life crisis or whatever, but at 46 I'm thinking of splashing out a few quid and buying myself a secondhand bike again after 20 years driving cars. Strictly fairweather stuff; priorities would be something cheap to run, tax and insure (i.e. classic status; I have a full A/A1 licence and am insured on an "animal" Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi saloon ...you get the picture!). I want something that'll start every time, handle nicely in and around the speed limit (well, mostly), not a racer but with enough grunt to overtake safely with a passenger if needs be. Sunday driving/occasional day trips kind of thing. Not quite a Dullville, but that kind of territory...

I'm not a beginner, just extremely rusty. I drove bikes for about 10 years, various 125s/250s/350s — 2 very noisy years on an RD350LC :D — and eventually an XJ650, which is what I remember most fondly tbh. I see a lot of mid-1980s models of them (and/or Seca 750s) going for around the €1,000 mark or a little over, that's the kind of budget I'm thinking. Driveshaft would appeal.

So — any recommendations? (besides stick to the Octavia...) tips? warnings? etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Maybe a mid 80s upwards BMW of some description if shaft driven is a big plus? But probably looking at around the 1500 mark and higher for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I would recomend a Honda.
    Have you looked at a Pan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

P.C. wrote: »
    I would recomend a Honda.
    Have you looked at a Pan?

I second the Honda recommendation. Probably outside your budget, but when I read your post, I immediately thought of a VFR 800. Comfy sports tourer. Modern-ish and an 800cc, so might not fit the bill after all.;) Worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

alanmc wrote: »
    I second the Honda recommendation. Probably outside your budget, but when I read your post, I immediately thought of a VFR 800. Comfy sports tourer. Modern-ish and an 800cc, so might not fit the bill after all.;) Worth a look though.

You might get an early 800 (non V-Tech) for a good price.
    Maybe an older 750 would be worth a look.

Depends on how much effort the OP is willing to put in, there are some bargains to be had in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BMW K75 RT or, if you can find one, an LT, or LT Ultima. Old enough to be cheap to buy, and absolutely bulletproof. Very cheap to run, and v.light on juice too, minimal maintenance, parts cheap.

Oh, here's one: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1181625

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for the suggestions, lads, keep 'em coming! Actually, buying in the UK might be the best thing for me, as I've an old mate living in Dorset who knows bikes and who'd probably pick me up something better than I'd find myself here...

Honda Pan looks nice, but a fair bit bigger/heavier than I was thinking of. I'd seldom be going more than 100 miles from home (live in Limerick, so lots of nice spots within easy reach for a day trip), so I wouldn't want to be carrying the kitchen sink with me most of the time. In fact a lot of the driving would be just short spins out around Killaloe or up to Lahinch (or down to Ballybunion, etc.), and with the state of the roads I wouldn't want to be trying to throw a big BMW "brick" into a bad bend having drifted up to the 60/70mph mark... Great if I was pointing the thing towards the south of France or something, but that's not likely, alas!

The VFR 800 looks lovely, too but well out of budget I'd imagine. Any other older Hondas around the 650/750cc mark? How would you rate the old XJ650 or Seca XJ750, bar the ugly twin headlamps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Jaysus your post was screaming Deauville until you said no Dullville :(

I'd say an old VFR 750 would be your next choice so.

peckerhead wrote: »
    ... Actually, buying in the UK might be the best thing for me, as I've an old mate living in Dorset who knows bikes and who'd probably pick me up something better than I'd find myself here...
    I'm afraid that these days, the selection here is more than ample, and I wouldn't see any point in getting something in the UK, atmo. 10 years ago, maybe, but there's been a lot of bikes bought/imported since then, and there's no shortage of stuff here for sale.
    In fact a lot of the driving would be just short spins out around Killaloe or up to Lahinch (or down to Ballybunion, etc.), and with the state of the roads I wouldn't want to be trying to throw a big BMW "brick" into a bad bend having drifted up to the 60/70mph mark... Great if I was pointing the thing towards the south of France or something, but that's not likely, alas!

If you were going to the South of France I'd have said a K100/K1100 - the 75 is a peach, both in terms of size and handling. The 'brick' moniker comes from it's engine, not it's dyanamic behaviour. The K75s, for example, is a really good handler, and the suspension on a K is far better suited to the West than a cruiser, most of the time.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks again.

Maybe you're right about the K75; I should probably try to track one down in a dealer somewhere and ask to take it for a spin — and/or maybe even look again at a Deauville, maybe I just need to come out about it! :o

See, I'm fairly short (5' 9") — I didn't want to feel like I'm mounting a horse. The Yam 650s tended to be fairly low-slung — well, the old ones, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

galwaytt wrote: »
    BMW K75 RT or, if you can find one, an LT, or LT Ultima. Old enough to be cheap to buy, and absolutely bulletproof. Very cheap to run, and v.light on juice too, minimal maintenance, parts cheap.

Oh, here's one: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1181625

Wow - mileage and condition on that bike look great, especially for a 91. Averaging under 1,000 miles done on it a year! Must have been in storage, or just taken to the shops once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Strom

What about a Vstrom/KLV 650 or 1000 great bike for the irish roads and really comfy to carry someone. You would pick one up in the UK for little money. have a look a vstrom.co.uk, there one or two for sale in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

What about a Bandit? They're mentioned all of the time when anyone asks about a bike, be they beginner, returner (is that a word? it is now!), or anything in between!

Bandit 600S...nice half fairing, upright riding position, basic enough with maintenance and not too fond of the juice, comfy suspension and enough power for plenty overtakes.

I was talking to that mate in the UK last night and he said to look at a Bandit, too. There certainly seems to be plenty of them around, so I'm guessing parts ain't a problem.

Might take meself off to a bike shop this weekend and try actually taking one out for a spin...

Might take meself off to a bike shop this weekend and try actually taking one out for a spin...

...indeed - what planet would that be on ? :p Test ride on a (used) 'bike ...... ?

Ode To The Motorist

You mean any reputable bike dealer won't have a ready selection of exactly the models I'm interested in, at a range of prices to flatter my pocket...? :eek:

Come to think of it, it wasn't a Bandit my mate mentioned, it was a Hornet. Bike-riding skills clearly aren't the only thing getting rusty on me.

So what d'ye reckon about the Hornet? Bit speedy for an old guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

:o OK, mid-life crisis or whatever, but at 46 I'm thinking of splashing out a few quid and buying myself a secondhand bike again after 20 years driving cars. Strictly fairweather stuff; priorities would be something cheap to run, tax and insure (i.e. classic status; I have a full A/A1 licence and am insured on an "animal" Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi saloon ...you get the picture!). I want something that'll start every time, handle nicely in and around the speed limit (well, mostly), not a racer but with enough grunt to overtake safely with a passenger if needs be. Sunday driving/occasional day trips kind of thing. Not quite a Dullville, but that kind of territory...

I'm not a beginner, just extremely rusty. I drove bikes for about 10 years, various 125s/250s/350s — 2 very noisy years on an RD350LC :D — and eventually an XJ650, which is what I remember most fondly tbh. I see a lot of mid-1980s models of them (and/or Seca 750s) going for around the €1,000 mark or a little over, that's the kind of budget I'm thinking. Driveshaft would appeal.

So — any recommendations? (besides stick to the Octavia...) tips? warnings? etc.

Jaysus, this could be me starting this thread! I'm starting to sniff around bikes again after 13yrs off them. I drive an Octavia Tdi also and am looking in the 500-850cc bracket for a bike though Beemers and Pans DON'T appeal, thinking more along the lines of a TDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pat_mas

Short daily commute with a bit of fun ... only one anwer: KTM (a second hand 660 smc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

KTM? He'd have to service it every weekend though no? Have heard they're heavy on maintenance...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pat_mas

No the 660 smc is pretty reliable plus it's light, powerful enough to do wheelies in 3rd gear, takes incredible angles when cornering ... in a word it's PERFECT

ATM, I have a XTX660 (reliable, cheap and so on) which I'm happy with BUT my next bike will definitely be a KTM ... just have to win the lottery though :(

You mean any reputable bike dealer won't have a ready selection of exactly the models I'm interested in, at a range of prices to flatter my pocket...? :eek:

Come to think of it, it wasn't a Bandit my mate mentioned, it was a Hornet. Bike-riding skills clearly aren't the only thing getting rusty on me.

So what d'ye reckon about the Hornet? Bit speedy for an old guy?

What I mean is they are very unlikely to give you a test ride, even if they do have what you want. Test rides almost unheard of in this country.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement