Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High gain, dual channel amp: Done

• 21-05-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Here's some fresh new finished pics and videos of my new amp.
    The sawdust from drilling the chassis bolt holes is still in the corners!! :D

CIMG0882.jpg

th_CIMG0884.jpg th_CIMG0883.jpg th_CIMG0887.jpg th_CIMG0886.jpg

Here's my new pedal board. The MXR and Carbon Copy are in the loop during the videos below.
    th_CIMG0900.jpg
    Damn just spotted me holey sock makes an appearance!!

This first one is using my strat and messing with the clean and dirty channel settings

This one is the heavies using my EMG loaded RG, again messing with the OD settings on the dirty channel. I also using the feedback modes towards the end. The CC and MXR make appearance throughout both videos.

From anyone who wants to see the design and build phases here's a link Build thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Kudos Paolo, sounds great.
    Ya know what, I reckon its time to get your name out there and start selling some amps. We all have this 'Boutique builder from (insert American town of choice)' obsession, no reason why one of our own can't make a name for himself. Time to pick a brand name and logo!

(To summarise I'm impressed!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

boycey wrote: »

You're not the only one! Fantastic stuff there Paulo.

You can use us as your test market for your new business:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

Really impressive stuff Paulo, if you are taking commissions in the future I'd be seriously interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sweet! love it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

boycey wrote: »
    Kudos Paolo, sounds great.
    Ya know what, I reckon its time to get your name out there and start selling some amps. We all have this 'Boutique builder from (insert American town of choice)' obsession, no reason why one of our own can't make a name for himself. Time to pick a brand name and logo!

That's the bit I'm not so hot on. Was kinda just planning on keeping it to myself!! :) Maybe somewhere down the line...
    You're not the only one! Fantastic stuff there Paulo.

You can use us as your test market for your new business:D

Cheers, I appreciate you guys taking the time to listen. It's good to grab someone elses ear to see if you're on the right track.
    Bod1 wrote: »
    Really impressive stuff Paulo, if you are taking commissions in the future I'd be seriously interested.

Perhaps in the future but I'm not considering anything like that now.
    Thanks for checking it out.
    Dord wrote: »
    Sweet! love it. :cool:

Cheers bud.

Had the amp at the rehearsal room tonight. For the first time I've gotten to play it at volume. :dude:
    Bit of an amp fest. It was up against a 5150, JCM800, JCM800KK and an ENGL Powerball. God damn, I'm nearly deaf. :)

It held it's own too.
    The JCM800 may have beat it for punch, but it had the rest of the amps punchwise even though it's only 50 Watts. I suspect it would catch the 800 if it was 100 Watts. On a side note the KK 800 didn't punch as much as I was hoping.
    Gain-wise it was there with the 5150, but not quite as much as the Powerball on the lead channel. That amount of gain is unuseable anyway so I'm not fretting over that. Took a boost pedal like a champ.
    The Powerball had it for huge low end under massiive gain while staying tight, a pretty tough category!!, but it stayed with the 5150 and JCM800KK. The normal 800 doesn't really have that "big bottom" tone. Again I suspect if it was 100 Watts it would run close to the Powerball. It was bordering muddy with a bass maxed and some resosnace using the G12T-75 loaded cab, but a V30 loaded cab sorted that out. The Dual Recs are a bit like that too. I'd never play with that amount low end anyway but I want the amp to be able to do it.
    The midz were there like a kick in the bollox. Really had that grindy 800/5150 f*ck you midz to it.
    The top was aggressive and screamed, but not harshly, and it rang out into a lovely feedback.
    The loop sounded great with MXR and Carbon Copy. With the MXR set right it copped a real convincing Mark IV type tone.
    It had each of the amps for clean tones, though none of those amps are famous for cleans anyway.
    Everything functioned correctly and switching was completely pop free, even at huge volume.

In short, I'm delighted. :)

Oh, and it didn't go on fire!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Absolutely fantastic Paolo!

I agree with Boycey too, it would be very cool seeing an Irish boutique amp builder out there. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

You should brand them "Corkers" ;)

Absolutely fantastic Paolo!

I agree with Boycey too, it would be very cool seeing an Irish boutique amp builder out there. ;)

Cheers, thanks for your comments.
    I'm not sure about the whole boutique builder bit, but we'll see.
    Quattroste wrote: »
    You should brand them "Corkers" ;)

Hmmm, what about brand name Langer?
    The the models could be Buoooy, Laaaad, Sham, Feeeeen and Boss.

Tag line could be "Don't mind dem other gimps, have a cut off a Langer. How bad buooy!"
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Id imagine that would nail metallica tones for sure but id be interested on how it would handle the modern high gain tight crunchy distortion myself. The clean channel is lovely by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Sounds great. I reckon the V30s would be a great match for it as you said. Really liking that dirty channel. Can get a great range from the sounds off it aswell, nice blues sound and a greaty heavy sound.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote: »
    Id imagine that would nail metallica tones for sure but id be interested on how it would handle the modern high gain tight crunchy distortion myself. The clean channel is lovely by the way!

Backing of the amp gain and hitting it with a clean boost works nicely for those kind of tones.
    I'll make some more properly miked clips showing specific tone types. I'll be sure to include 80s thrash and more modern, dry, Lamb Of Gody type tones.
    Sounds great. I reckon the V30s would be a great match for it as you said. Really liking that dirty channel. Can get a great range from the sounds off it aswell, nice blues sound and a greaty heavy sound.

Cheers. Think I'm gonna have to swap two of the G12T-75s for V30s in my 1960A. I've a G12H and V30 in my 2 X 12 and I'm always a little dissapointed with the tone from my 1960A when I use it. The V30 bring a nice definition to the tone. I agree with people that they can be harsh with the wrong amp but for non ear piercing, high gain tones they can't be beaten.

Advertisement