Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make Up Tips!

• 21-05-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey Girlies! :)

I have to say I really love listening to peoples makeup tips! They always prove to come to a good use now and again! Let's all post our beauty secrets and makeup tips! It really interests me and can be a lot of help to others! ;)
    I'll start! My little secret to perfect looking eyebrows is spraying a little hairspray onto a brow brush or a clean mascara wand and brushing it through my brows, it sets them and there wont be a hair out of place all day! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Tiny bit of vaseline on your eyelashes instead of mascara.

soot from the fire to clean your teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Always use primer before your foundation. Take Elizabath Arden's 8 hour cream everywhere because it can fix anything, chapped lips, dry hands, it's just a wonder product.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

soot from the fire to clean your teeth.

Does that not taste horrible? I believe you, I used to use a tooth gel containing charcoal that was a fantastic whitener, it didn't taste like charcoal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Novella wrote: »
    Always use primer before your foundation. Take Elizabath Arden's 8 hour cream everywhere because it can fix anything, chapped lips, dry hands, it's just a wonder product.
    Totally agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Novella wrote: »

Forgive my ignorance but whats a primer and what does it do exactly?

My tips off the top of my head aren't for make up but just beauty instead(don't laugh I've been using these since I was a very young teenager :));

To get rid of swelling on a spot put (preferably cold) slices of raw potato on it or a dab of toothpaste if you can leave it on overnight.

For dandruff, to adjust the PH of your hair right or to get rid of old shampoo/conditioner/product build up off rinse your hair in water with a few tsp of cider vinegar mixed in.

For instand shiney hair when it's dry rub a few drops of rosemary essential oil between your hands and smooth it through your hair, for blondes use chamomile.

If you're out of exfoilliant and need smooth skin sharpish just grind some rolled oats and use with a small bit of milk or water as an exfoilliant for your face, for your hands or other rough parts use some olive oil and salt without water or anything initially and rinse off when you're finished.

A lovely face mask can be made by mashing up an avocado, some finely ground oats and a drop of milk and few drops of olive oil.

If you suddenly find yourselve out of deodrant and can't get to to shops dust some dry bicarbonate of soda under your pits, you can also use it to freshen up stinky shoes or clothes, just rub into the fabric and hoover out the next day works incredibly well.

If you need an intense hair moisturing mask just rub oilive oil into your hair the night before you go to bed, plait it and wash out and condition as normal then the next morning. If your hair is badly damaged add in 2 eggs yolks and cover your head with a shower cap or some cling film and leave in for as long as possible, this works such a treat you wouldn't believe.

For a lovely softening bath soak cut the end of a pair of tights and put a few handfuls of dry oats into it, knot it and stick it in the bath water.

Mashed up Papaya fruit makes a good acid peel mask.

Can't think of anymore off hand!

• Advertisement

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but whats a primer and what does it do exactly?
    Here is info about primers.

I use the Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer and find it brilliant.

The one I use is expensive, it's about €20, but it lasts for ages.

I got my first bottle a year ago and it's still half full.

Like with a lot of things, it is cheaper to buy online.

Nice one thanks for that! A tenner a year isn't unreasonable at all, gonna get me some soon would boots or debenhams have the one you use?

If anyone has any tips for stopping eye make up ending up under your eyes rather than on them I'd love to hear them. I always end up like a panda by the end of the day and don't know why! :(

Also I bought the new dior extase mascarra which is supposed to be better than the black out one according to the girl working there but I haven't been able to do a good job putting it on are there any tips for using volumising mascara so it doesn't go all clumpy? I'm not sure should I use my eyelash curler before or after I apply it either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If anyone has any tips for stopping eye make up ending up under your eyes rather than on them I'd love to hear them. I always end up like a panda by the end of the day and don't know why! :(

As above, primer is great for keeping eyeshadow in place! I use Lancome or Smashbox - they're pretty much the exact same, but the Lancome is a bit cheaper and I prefer the container it comes in, I find that the pump for the Smashbox one can break quite easily.

If it's your mascara and/or eyeliner that's ending up under your eyes, it could be the brands that you're using. Always go for the waterproof versions if possible, they stay in place longer. And I think that you can get eyelash primer, that might help your mascara stay in place, I've never tried it myself though.

Oh here's one of my tips - whenever I get a new eyeliner, I cut it in half and pare both halves, so I have one for my handbag and one for my makeup bag. It also means that I have a spare one for if/when I lose it! Obviously it's only worth doing if it's a long pencil; I use Dior and it's a really long one so I get two normal sized eyeliners out of it. And they last for ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Most important thing when applying make up is find a shade/colour that
    suits your skin tone, You will find help with this in chemists also don't
    apply to much as it ruins the look if you do.

Nice one thanks for that! A tenner a year isn't unreasonable at all, gonna get me some soon would boots or debenhams have the one you use?
    No worries, am glad to help. :)

I don't know about Debenhams but Boots don't stock it (afaik).

The only shops that I know of that stock it are Weirs Pharmacy, Mullingar Pharmacy, Tom Texas/Texas, Dolan's Pharmacy, McCabe's.

Maybe Clearys and Arnotts stock it too, I don't know for sure though.

Would you be willing to buy it online? I have a list of websites somewhere that sell it, I justr need to find the list. I am going out soon, so won't be able to get the list until tonight/tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Oh that'd be handy I have a paypal account! Would Dior eyeliner be a good one for preventing panda eye syndrome? I'm very excited about this primer stuff and my makeup staying where it's supposed to now!

Trying to think of tips isn't easy, I suppose one thing I do is when I used to buy more pricey foundation in brown thomas was I gt samples first to take home and try out so I can check the tones in daylight and under the harsh light in my kitchen to see how natural it looks before I fork out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Would Dior eyeliner be a good one for preventing panda eye syndrome?

Yes, I find it stays in place really well, it's great on nights out, I never have to top it up.

As far as I remember it's about sixteen or seventeen euro, but I don't mind paying a bit extra for it because it's a lot bigger than the cheaper brands and it lasts for aaaages! Also you get a parer with it, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

miss5 wrote: »
    Most important thing when applying make up is find a shade/colour that
    suits your skin tone, You will find help with this in chemists also don't
    apply to much as it ruins the look if you do.

Do you really find chemist's good for helping with foundation matching? I really really dont at all! I honestly think that most of the girls that work in chemists dont really know what they are talking about? Well definitely around my area anyway. Any ordinary person (office worker, chef!!!) can get a job as a counter assistant in a chemist this doesn't always mean they are trained in applying makeup or in the products they sell. I just find that they give you a colour they THINK may suit just to get their commission. Anyone else agree?? Think the best places to go are makeup studios where the girls are properly trained in matching you up to the correct colour. I have to say the amount of time and money I've wasted in chemists is huge! Live and learn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

jujuB wrote: »
    Do you really find chemist's good for helping with foundation matching? I really really dont at all! I honestly think that most of the girls that work in chemists dont really know what they are talking about? Well definitely around my area anyway. Any ordinary person (office worker, chef!!!) can get a job as a counter assistant in a chemist this doesn't always mean they are trained in applying makeup or in the products they sell. I just find that they give you a colour they THINK may suit just to get their commission. Anyone else agree?? Think the best places to go are makeup studios where the girls are properly trained in matching you up to the correct colour. I have to say the amount of time and money I've wasted in chemists is huge! Live and learn!

true .. as a beautician i love going into chemists and letting the little girls have a go trying to tell me what will suit and what wont suit. they thin they know everything but really they can barely do their own make up. in saying that, boots make up counters are ok in galway. just everyday chemists i wouldnt recommend..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

jujuB wrote: »

Do you consider people who work on makeup counters as being like assistants in chemists, or as being properly trained? (I'm talking about makeup counters in department stores - like Arnotts or Brown Thomas)

Fishie wrote: »
    Do you consider people who work on makeup counters as being like assistants in chemists, or as being properly trained? (I'm talking about makeup counters in department stores - like Arnotts or Brown Thomas)

Personally I find the girls in brown thomas and Debenhams excellent, so helpful and they really know their stuff. My sister used to work in a chemist and she got sent off on her weekends off to do make up training workshops things every now and then and learnt loads about applying it and chosing tones etc. I'd imagine the bigger and better chemists might be the only ones that bother though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Here is info about primers.

I use the Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer and find it brilliant.

The one I use is expensive, it's about €20, but it lasts for ages.

I got my first bottle a year ago and it's still half full.

Like with a lot of things, it is cheaper to buy online.

AFAIK, GOSH is stocked in ll AWear shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

Fishie wrote: »

All I can go from is experience really... My sis worked on the Benefit counter in Brown Thomas for a year and the girls she encountered there were just all out for the commission and were most certainly not makeup artists! (most of them were part-time and took these jobs on while they were getting through college) As I said before, these girls didnt really care if your foundation matched or not, they were just programmed to sell, sell, sell!!! It's great for their pockets but not yours!!! A friend of my mums wouldn't really wear makeup and when she does its absolutely ancient and totally the wrong colour so they both decided to go makeup shopping. They happened to go to a Smashbox counter somewhere in dublin and the girl that looked after her sold her the totally wrong colour foundation, concealer and powder, she spent an absolute fortune on other bits and pieces too. A year on this friend still has these in her makeup bag unused because they are probably in reality worse looking on than her ancient makeup! Ok maybe this was partly her fault but these girls give the appearance of professionals and whos to argue?! All Im saying is just be careful and make sure that you're happy with your products when you leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

My friend has had no luck ever in buying a foundation in Mac they always sell her the wrong shade in the end i sent her into a girl in estee lauder i find the girls in estee lauder and Clarins to be well trained overall....

Came across some good ones yesterday;

* heat your eyelash curler with a hairdrier for 5 secs before using

* Change the rubbery bit of your eyelash curler every 6 months because it gets warped and wont curl your lashs properly after a while

* Curl your lashs at the base and then half way up the lash too

* When you apply the mascara zig zag the brush as you pull it up the lashs

* After applying the coat on the top lashs pull the brush down the lashs from above the lashs to remove clumps and give them extra length

* Use an old washed mascara wand as an eyelash brush to seperate lashs before you apply the mascara to prevent spider legs and then after applying mascara to separate clumped lashs.

I tried this last trick today and it worked so well my lashes were so long and thick but using the dry wand made it look like they were naturally like that, amazing effect and so simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement