Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer took my whole wage packet this month

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I finished up with my old employer recently. I had finished a course in March which they paid for - however, if I left within 6 months of completing the course, I would have to pay 50% of the fees back - fair enough.
    I signed that agreement back around December/January.
    I received my final payslip from the company today however, and I have a nett pay of....zilch,nada,NOTHING.
    They took the WHOLE fee amount back, as well as 3 days worth of holidays which I owed them. I queried the whole fee being taken back and argued that it should only have been 50%, which they have agreed to refund.
    However, how can it right to take someone's complete month's wages from them? I have rent, bils to pay. The only notification I received that this was going to be the case was a letter posted with the payslip (only received yesterday.)

At no stage was I told I was going to have no wages for the month.

Can they get away with this? I'm not sure as the agreement I signed did state that should I leave, the total would be taken from my payslip...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

hold on your contradicting your self here "had finished a course in March which they paid for - however, if I left within 6 months of completing the course, I would have to pay 50% of the fees back"
    and then at the end you say "as the agreement I signed did state that should I leave, the total would be taken from my payslip"
    if you signed an agreement stating the first statement then great they owe you monies however if it where a verbal one then the one you signed saying you would pay the total is what stands crap i know but thats what would stand up in court not the verbal one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I presume he means the total amount that 50% represents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

Yes they can take your whole monthly salary from you. What if you had a company loan that had to paid back when leaving. However as it was their mistake they should make a one off direct payment to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It is illegal to dock someones salary without their consent. If you consented to repay 50% of the course if you left, then you did consent in this instance.

As for the holiday pay, if you were paid it and then didnt work up the entitlement, then its money you owe the company. Of course they can take it back.

As for your rent and bills to pay, sorry to tell you, that is not their problem, its yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Curl52 wrote: »
    Yes they can take your whole monthly salary from you. What if you had a company loan that had to paid back when leaving. However as it was their mistake they should make a one off direct payment to you.

What was their mistake? The docking of the whole course fee? It seems to be an error that, when pointed out, they have rectified. What one off payment needs to be made?

• Advertisement
Advertisement