Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being forced to work hours missed when sick?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i missed two days off work sick recently, one of 8 hours, the other three. When i returned to work the roster had been changed and the days i called in sick i had been marked as off with me being put in for another two days this week. Nobody asked me if i could work these other hours, or if i would swap my sick days as days off etc, nobody even told me that this had been done. I just found out by myself looking to see who i was working with. Any advice on where i stand? Do i have to work these hours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

i take it your working in retail and as far as i know no they cant do that if you rang in sick then you where sick full stop
    and i bet you didnt get paid for them if you did and thats why they want you to work the extra days then i would be having a serious word with my manager
    have you got a contract check what it says in there or ring your hr department to see what they say but it doesnt seem right to me and i would be well pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do your rosters normally get changed during the week, or is this a one off?

You manager may actually think they're doing you a favour: many people who don't get paid sick leave would love to be able to work alternative days to make up for ones when they couldn't earn 'cos they were sick.

Advertisement