Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands best Radio broadcasters ever!

• 21-05-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

My list is.................
    1..........Gay Byrne
    2..........Gerry Ryan
    3..........Mike Murphy
    4..........Pat Kenny
    5..........Joe Duffy

These guys set the standard.Who can follow them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭8mv

Gay Byrne - Accepted
    Gerry Ryan - Great broadcaster but wasted his talent talking about nonsense a lot of the time
    Mike Murphy - A good talent peculiar to this country. Would never have been a success outside Ireland.
    Pat Kenny - A giant on radio - a fish out of water on LLS, but playing to his considerable strengths on Frontline.
    Joe Duffy - Be serious.

Some other names to consider - Aine Lawlor and the Morning Ireland team, Eamonn Keane is pretty good on Newstalk, as is the underused Ger Gilroy. Late night and very early weekend morning djs on Radio One. Philip Kings' music show. The lads on Off The Ball are always entertaining. Vincent Browne maybe.

Good topic, thanks.

Edit: I forgot about John Kelly, a huge talent languishing at Lyric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Joe Duffy must have been thrown in as a joke !! :D He certainly never set any standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Joe can relate to a lot of people. He mightn't be the most respected broadcaster by anoraks but that doesn't mean to say he's not worthy of something.

He's held one of the most high profile radio gigs in the country for probably over a decade now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The GREAT Joe Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Thomas G

MARTY WHELAN MARTY WHELAN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

LARRY GOGAN!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

1..........Gay Byrne - Gay had an amazing instinct for interviewing, and getting the most interesting stories out of his guests. He also had an ability to make them feel comfortable enough that they would tell him anything, as if they were in a confessional.
    2..........Gerry Ryan - Never made it on TV significantly to be considered the top presenter. Had his niche show on radio, His TV stuff was rubbish except for Ryan Confidential. Ryan Confidential was excellent, and he deserved a go at the LLS before Tubridy.
    3..........Mike Murphy - Mike was great, never understood why he left the telly, he was such a natural. And a very likable guy as well.
    4..........Pat Kenny - Kenny reputation was damaged by his stint at the LLS, but he's completely redeemed himself with the Frontline. Pat is probably the best political presenter Ireland has produced. Certainly must be commended on the research/ background work he puts in to his interviews.
    5..........Joe Duffy - Has got above his station with Liveline.. His job is meant to be akin to chairman, adjudicating between different callers and giving a balanced approach to issues. It's gradually become an opinion piece from a man who is paid 400k a year, yet still thinks he represents the view of the "working class".

Edit: sorry forgot this was the Radio forum :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Brendan Balfe. Or Andy oMahony for the voice

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

i do listen to the joe show, but how is it that he can be paid so much for 1hr 15 a day?.
    i know theres a bit of production to sort out but thats what his crew are for, wheres the value in that, he should do at least 2 hrs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

1..........Gay Byrne - Gay had an amazing instinct for interviewing, and getting the most interesting stories out of his guests. He also had an ability to make them feel comfortable enough that they would tell him anything, as if they were in a confessional.
    2..........Gerry Ryan - Never made it on TV significantly to be considered the top presenter. Had his niche show on radio, His TV stuff was rubbish except for Ryan Confidential. Ryan Confidential was excellent, and he deserved a go at the LLS before Tubridy.
    3..........Mike Murphy - Mike was great, never understood why he left the telly, he was such a natural. And a very likable guy as well.
    4..........Pat Kenny - Kenny reputation was damaged by his stint at the LLS, but he's completely redeemed himself with the Frontline. Pat is probably the best political presenter Ireland has produced. Certainly must be commended on the research/ background work he puts in to his interviews.
    5..........Joe Duffy - Has got above his station with Liveline.. His job is meant to be akin to chairman, adjudicating between different callers and giving a balanced approach to issues. It's gradually become an opinion piece from a man who is paid 400k a year, yet still thinks he represents the view of the "working class".

Edit: sorry forgot this was the Radio forum :-)

Tubbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

My oldie nominations;

Mark Cagney, Radio 2 for 'Mark after dark'.

Bob Gallico, Radio Nova for having the richest voice in Ireland.

Eugene O'Connor, Big L Limerick for 'The EOC show'.

John Frawley, Radio Luimni for the weird and parochial 'John the man show'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I should have included Eamon Dunphy in my list.He changed radio in Ireland for the better with his drive time show on Radio Ireland.George Hook and Matt Cooper are his natural successors.Dunphy was a pioneer of Irish radio who deserves credit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Gerry Anderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭8mv

todolist wrote: »
    I should have included Eamon Dunphy in my list.He changed radio in Ireland for the better with his drive time show on Radio Ireland.George Hook and Matt Cooper are his natural successors.Dunphy was a pioneer of Irish radio who deserves credit.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Joe Duffy 4 Lyfe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

This is the list of my favorite radio broadcasters in Ireland, past and present:
    1. Gay Byrne (RTE) - The man is a living legend. Soothing voice and a warming personality.
    2. Ray Foley (Today FM) - Huge fan for years. Funny, great DJ, excellent presenter and very talented individual.
    3. KC (Today FM) - Listened to him when he was on Red FM, followed him to Today FM. Again very talented, funny and silly, will become very HUGE in the future!
    4. Rick O Shea (2FM) - Great DJ. Doesn't fail to entertain, has an awesome voice.
    5. Ian Dempsey (Today FM) - Just a great listen in the morning.
    Ryan Tubridy would be in there too. I think each one of them gets a place of the list because they never fail to make me laugh, make me think, or just generally entertain me. 5ive top talented broadcasters who won't be forgotten. I'll get slated for not putting in Pat Kenny or Gerry Ryan or any of those old fogies, but I never listened to them enough to form an opinion on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Not necessarily in any order but:

Vincent Hanley - great voice and great innovator for MTUSA (ok telly, but who cares?)

Frankie Byrne - Many a girls virtue stayed in tact due to Dear Frankie

Gay Byrne - very in touch with the mood of the nation at times

Tom McSweeney - made sailing interesting for someone who had land legs

Rachel English - a fist of steel in a velvet glove

I grudgingly have to agree on Dunphy - The Last Word was essential listening in the early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Philip King

I also,to my shame forgot Terry Wogan.He should be on most peoples list .Somebody earlier mentioned Andy O'Mahony,he is a superb interviewer.I know he a veteran now but I'd like to hear more of him on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

8mv wrote: »
    Some other names to consider - Aine Lawlor

Dreadful broadcaster.

Haven't liked her from day one, thinks she's with it and funny but not, the voice is cat.

Remember Mark Boland AKA Alan Hilton he was a great radio broadcaster.

I'm sure I'll thinkof more.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Qheratatie

Thomas G wrote: »
    MARTY WHELAN MARTY WHELAN

Surely you're taking the piss??

I can't stomach the man, even when he's not saying something dumb, even the tone of his voice annoys me!!

I like Ray Foley, quite the legend!
    Ian Dempsey too, he's so authentic and it easy on the bo***xed ear in the morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Love all the snarky comments towards Joe Duffy. His show is the most entertaining thing on Irish radio for the last few years.

Joe is up there with the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

http://bit.ly/cxhXEM

These guys.

I think i spotted Simon young and Ian Dempsey...dreadful stuff.They should be embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

My oldie nominations;

Mark Cagney, Radio 2 for 'Mark after dark'.

Bob Gallico, Radio Nova for having the richest voice in Ireland.

Eugene O'Connor, Big L Limerick for 'The EOC show'.

John Frawley, Radio Luimni for the weird and parochial 'John the man show'.

I do indeed remember Mark Cagney on Radio 2 And Bob Galico on Nova he also worked on Radio Ireland

Qheratatie wrote: »
    Surely you're taking the piss??

I can't stomach the man, even when he's not saying something dumb, even the tone of his voice annoys me!!

I like Ray Foley, quite the legend!
    Ian Dempsey too, he's so authentic and it easy on the bo***xed ear in the morning :)

Marty Whelan what a joke He tried to be Irelands Terry Wogan on RTE radio 2 & TV and failed miserably Ian Dempsey in the mornings not too bad But i think hes getting bored with programme

washiskin wrote: »
    Not necessarily in any order but:

Vincent Hanley - great voice and great innovator for MTUSA (ok telly, but who cares?)

Frankie Byrne - Many a girls virtue stayed in tact due to Dear Frankie

Gay Byrne - very in touch with the mood of the nation at times

Tom McSweeney - made sailing interesting for someone who had land legs

Rachel English - a fist of steel in a velvet glove

I grudgingly have to agree on Dunphy - The Last Word was essential listening in the early days.

Vicent Hanley aka fab vinny He worked on rte radio 2 in the early days great voice

Gay Byrne first claas

Rachel English very good i much prefer her to marian finnaucane

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

:DNeil Prendeville... Biggest local listener ship in Ireland.... that is outside of the state sponsored RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

todolist wrote: »

I don't know if Dunphy was really a pioneer of Irish radio. In what way?

I was a regular listener to the Last Word when it started. It was a refreshing alternative to RTE, and he had a lot of regular contributors i enjoyed, like Robert Fisk. I used to admire Dunphy, but the Last Word was the beginning of his unravelling for me.
    I just remember realising ultimately he wasn't a great interviewer, and very different to his persona as a pundit, even betraying a lot of those values. You realised it wasn't just Johnny Giles he liked being obsequious in the presence of. In the decade or more since, I think many more have realised that Dunphy is a fading institution and ridiculous figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

totally off-topic - banned!

only kidding - was about to post it myself, and you've saved me the hassle of finding it - tks :D

for me:

Gay Byrne: A lot of you youngsters today don't realise the way he changed the game, not just for radio, but for society in general.

David Hanley: Irelands John Humphries

Pat Kenny

Gerry Ryan, love him or hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 undergroundeye

Brendan Balfe. Or Andy oMahony for the voice

Brendan Balfe's voice is class. Saturday mornings, was it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Growing up listened to Dave Fanning. He coined the phrase Fannings fab fifty and talks faster than any of them. Hugely influential figure as well re the music scen.e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Fago! wrote: »
    This is the list of my favorite radio broadcasters in Ireland, past and present:
    1. Gay Byrne (RTE) - The man is a living legend. Soothing voice and a warming personality.
    2. Ray Foley (Today FM) - Huge fan for years. Funny, great DJ, excellent presenter and very talented individual.
    3. KC (Today FM) - Listened to him when he was on Red FM, followed him to Today FM. Again very talented, funny and silly, will become very HUGE in the future!
    4. Rick O Shea (2FM) - Great DJ. Doesn't fail to entertain, has an awesome voice.
    5. Ian Dempsey (Today FM) - Just a great listen in the morning.
    Ryan Tubridy would be in there too. I think each one of them gets a place of the list because they never fail to make me laugh, make me think, or just generally entertain me. 5ive top talented broadcasters who won't be forgotten. I'll get slated for not putting in Pat Kenny or Gerry Ryan or any of those old fogies, but I never listened to them enough to form an opinion on them.

rick o shea has thee most annoying voice of anyone who ever lived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 horatio999

Why just from RTE how about Dara O Brian from Newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm gonna vote for Ian Dempsey and Tony Fenton. Also Tom Dunne was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

If you are talking best radio broadcasters ever Larry Gogan is definitely one. No airs and graces to him, no messing from him, never opinionated and just gets on with the show.
    Some of the new breed just annoy me. Feel the need to make a joke every second.
    Another broadcaster I have an awful lot of time for is John Kelly.

Advertisement