Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If There Was A Referendum on Abortion Tomorrow, How Would You Vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Smart Bug wrote: »
    And this you know how? I haven't stated my ideas beyond my support for the right to choose.

But if anyone disagrees you jump down their thoat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Only when sensationalist/religious/contradictory statements were borught into it.

I'm the police for those things you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Only when sensationalist/religious/contradictory statements were borught into it.

Actually, if you read back through the comments and compare them, there is a good case to be made that most of the sensationalism and contradiction has arisen in the pro-choice crowd.

Everyone has a right to an opinion!

ive never been baptised!

babies get sliced and diced that's abortion, i'm not sensationalising it, its fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Poor pets, should have used a contraceptive and be thankful they didn't get AIDS instead.

*mustn't feed the trolls, mustn'd feed the trolls*:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    I dealt with it sufficiently. It's a fallacious argument.

That would be a no then :D

as opposed to the multiple exclamation calm stance I suppose :D

Actually, if you read back through the comments and compare them, there is a good case to be made that most of the sensationalism and contradiction has arisen in the pro-choice crowd.

*face palm*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

People should be able to choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Everyone has a right to an opinion!

ive never been baptised!

cells get sliced and diced that's abortion, i'm not sensationalising it, its fact.

ftp

• Advertisement

Yeah the AIDS thing was a cheap shot... oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Surely that falls under a definition of human interference to stop a conception which would other wise occur, and should be outlawed too?

Nope. If you were to not do anything (i.e not have sex) the sperm and ovum would never become a person. They require your interferance to become a person. It is your choice. Having sex in such a way that they do not meet is essentially the same as not having sex at all.

However a developing fetus does not require your interferance to become a person. It is (imo) too far down the line to kill without some sort of moral guilt.

Not a cheep shot, im not taking any shots. Im just saying things could be a lot worse than getting pregnant.

There is always the hpv virus that causes cervical cancer. Im sure no one wants to go through what Jade Goody did.

dorgasm wrote: »
    People should be able to choose

They do! They choose to go to the uk to kill the baby or stay at home and keep it or have it adopted.

Not a cheep shot, im not taking any shots. Im just saying things could be a lot worse than getting pregnant.

There is always the hpv virus that causes cervical cancer. Im sure no one wants to go through what Jade Goody did.

Well they've you on their side who's all for euthanasia if they do :D

Well they've you on their side who's all for euthanasia if they do :D

Very true......

Jade Goody begged doctors and her mom to end her life.

I asked you before on the odds of contracting HIV from Vaganal penetration, its alot less than pregnancy

Aprox 5500 people have know HIV/AIDS.

If you do not know the person history (not a virgin) there is a possibility they are infected, if not with HIV could be another STI.

Between 200 and 250 people a year are get diagnosed as being HIV +

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1201/breaking24.html

case in dungarvan where woman tried to infect men.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/angel-of-death-priest-now-out-of-ministry-472720.html

efb wrote: »
    I asked you before on the odds of contracting HIV from Vaganal penetration, its alot less than pregnancy

yes it is, but you can tell that to the 80 or so that get diagnosed with HIV in the antenatal clinic every year. Sure it wont make them feel any better.

The odds of a HIV-negative man contracting the virus from a HIV-positive woman is 1,000/1. It is easier for a woman to contract HIV, partly because the vaginal walls can tear and bleed during sex.
    http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/telling-it-straight-about-aids-in-ireland-343257.html
    that was back in june 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ocokev wrote: »
    Fianna fail

To abort them ? Count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CLAIRE_CAT

just out of interest i would like to know how many of the voters were male?
    it seems to me that having a child involves a womans body and not a mans... therefore women should have the deciding vote on whether or not abortion should be legalised....
    women get left with the child men dont

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

CLAIRE_CAT wrote: »
    it seems to me that having a child involves a womans body and not a mans... therefore women should have the deciding vote on whether or not abortion should be legalised....

Like if the result of a referendum is exactly 50:50? That's fair enough.

Men can give women the choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Is it a right to abort?

My apologies for not being clearer, my question (why do the rights cease at 12 weeks?) was directed at someone who believed that abortion was a woman's right. My query was to why that purported right had a time-limit.

My apologies for not being clearer, my question (why do the rights cease at 12 weeks?) was directed at someone who believed that abortion was a woman's right. My query was to why that purported right had a time-limit.

*sigh* It's not called abortion after that time limit, it is something different entirely. That is why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Hazlittle

ash23 wrote: »
    The ironic thing is that keeping abortion illegal probably doesn't decrease the numer of Irish woman having them.

However it does mean they are unable to have early abortions between procedure (Irish women are not allowed to have early abortions in the UK) and the added cost of travelling means the abortion happens later rather than sooner, making the actual procedure more difficult and meaning that the foetus is furthur developed.

So what measures does the Gardai have to prevent rape and murders? Legalise that too so rape victims can receive instant help?
    CLAIRE_CAT wrote: »

Some children are also male.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Cant the women who want abortions just go to the UK?

......with the rest of the doomed heathens

Hazlittle wrote: »
    So what measures does the Gardai have to prevent rape and murders? Legalise that too so rape victims can receive instant help?

Your argument here would lead to more rapes, not quicker help for rape victims.

You thought you were applying the same logic as the poster you were replying to, but you weren't. You have missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I think the question is very uneven. I am and always will be against abortion, however im not going to go out and prevent others from doing so. where does that put me?

I voted no however I think each case should be taken on its own merits.

i have a really good friend who had one and its never affected our friendship and why should it.

i also have 3 wonderful(sometimes) kids and cannot bear to think of them been aborted.

im pro choice but I would argue against abortion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Hazlittle

Your argument here would lead to more rapes, not quicker help for rape victims.

You thought you were applying the same logic as the poster you were replying to, but you weren't. You have missed the point.

I dont really think murder, rape or child molestation being illegal lowers the amount of these crimes. Most decent people dont do things that are illegal cause it is either wrong to do or their is punishment along with. However truely evil people will continue to cause death and destruction regardless of the law.

Advertisement