Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Playoff Final - Blackpool v Cardiff

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And with that the Premiership has its new whipping boys.
    You've not watched Blackpool much this season have you....

Its a credit to Holloway and his players that Blackpool got better as the second half wore on, it was as if they were the team chasing the equaliser! Cardiff were on their feet for the last fifteen minutes. Blackpool looked like they could have played on for another forty five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

grenache wrote: »
    You've not watched Blackpool much this season have you....

Yes I have. They're no better than Burnley. Their attacking style of play will make them easy pickings for the big boys, and even the not so big boys, in the top flight.

You obviously think I'm incorrect. Why?

Yes I have. They're no better than Burnley. Their attacking style of play will make them easy pickings for the big boys, and even the not so big boys, in the top flight.

You obviously think I'm incorrect. Why?
    they're a much more cultured team than Burnley. If they can get a couple of quality additions i summer then i see know reason why they cannot stay up. Hull won the playoffs two years ago and stayed up with an inferior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

90 million for them to spend. Mainly improving the stadium and the training facilites.

They'll need a few quality players.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Delighted for Blackpool! Holloway done wonders there.
    Adam,Campbell etc are quality players ad they are a good unit.

Also if Bayern win tonight they helped win me €210!!:D

And Xavi, surely Blackpool will be making a few decent signings between now and then. Way too early for predictions. Anyway there is a fair few poor sides in the PL bottom half.

This promotion reminds me of when Hull went up.

they're a much more cultured team than Burnley. If they can get a couple of quality additions i summer then i see know reason why they cannot stay up. Hull won the playoffs two years ago and stayed up with an inferior squad.

'Cultured' isn't a word I would use to describe them.

The squad as it stands is a bit of a sham player for player and I don't see them attracting decent signings to the club.

They may even top Swindon of 1994 in terms of badness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Holloway being interviewed now. Someone stop him. Wow. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The squad as it stands is a bit of a sham player for player and I don't see them attracting decent signings to the club.

Why wouldn't they attract decent signings they are in the PL now?

Anyone we should be giving credit to them, they are there on a tiny budget. The squad cost something ridiculous like 1m and half of that was on one player!

They have 90M now, do up one of the stands and they have plenty of spending money!

Rather see a team do well like that then clubs like City just buying success and spending stupid sums of money.

DB10 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they attract decent signings they are in the PL now?

Because they will be going straight back down to the Championship.

They will attract yo-yo players. The Stephen Hunts and Nigel Quashies of this world.

Don't be surprised to see the likes of Michael Brown there next year.
    Anyone we should be giving credit to them, they are there on a tiny budget. The squad cost something ridiculous like 1m and half of that was on one player!

Absolutely. Kudos for getting there, but lets not pretend that this is as good as it gets.
    They have 90M now, do up one of the stands and they have plenty of spending money!

How many clubs survive their first year and how many go straight back down?

Blackpool are a lot worse than teams like West Brom of a couple of years ago.
    Rather see a team do well like that then clubs like City just buying success and spending stupid sums of money.

But they won't do well. They'll go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They will attract yo-yo players. The Stephen Hunts and Nigel Quashies of this world.

Absolutely. Kudos for getting there, but lets not pretend that this is as good as it gets.

bookmarked for future piss takes :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The thing is, you really never know. There are alot of poor teams in the Premiership who may go down, Blackpool are just one of them. Burnley came very close to staying up this year despite being absolutely muck, and I'd nearly wager that if Coyle had stayed they would have stayed up. If Holloway can get the team playing next year, and get a few experienced Premiership players in then they're in with an outside chance of staying up. The main problem is though, even if they do stay up the first season, they're still favourites again to go down the next year like Hull. The job that Holloway has is mammoth but the longer he keeps them in the Premiership for, the better chance they have of becoming a yo-yo club like West Brom or Sunderland pre-Quinn

Headshot wrote: »
    bookmarked for future piss takes :p

Obviously I expect them to pick up 6 points against us now, but that'll be all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I hope Blackpool can hold on to Adam, but it'll be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They've no chance next year. How many of their players are loan signings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Xavi6 wrote:

You're being a bit unfair. Why are you so keen to slag them off? Who knows what will happen, who they will sign? It's not like the bottom half of the prem lge is bursting with quality teams. They'll be favourites to go down for sure, but good luck to them all the same.

One thing that would be a concern is the capacity of their ground. It's only something like 12,000. Nowhere near big enough for the prem lge or the revenue you need to generate. Increasing that up to around 20,000 or more will have to be a priority.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You're being a bit unfair. Why are you so keen to slag them off? Who knows what will happen, who they will sign? It's not like the bottom half of the prem lge is bursting with quality teams. They'll be favourites to go down for sure, but good luck to them all the same.

I'm not slagging them, I'm being realistic.

Everyone loves a fairytale like today, and it often sugarcoats the harsh reality that lies ahead.

Blackpool as a team and club are not good enough for the Premier League.
    One thing that would be a concern is the capacity of their ground. It's only something like 12,000. Nowhere near big enough for the prem lge or the revenue you need to generate. Increasing that up to around 20,000 or more will have to be a priority.

And that's part of the problem.

A good proportion of the Premier League money will go into the stadium and not new signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are good enough for the Premier League as they are now in the Premier League.

They don't have 90 million quid though, they have probably about 10 million extra they can afford to spend on players transfers and wages in the next 12 months.

They've just finished the building of their south stand. The thing is, by the time they build the other stand which runs along the pitch, they'll be back in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They'll go straight back down imo.Agree with Xavi in that they're a worse version of West Brom a few years ago.They have some nice midfielders and forwards for FF though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is there ground the lowest capacity of any team that has been in the Premier League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JPA wrote: »
    Is there ground the lowest capacity of any team that has been in the Premier League?

Must be. It'll be 12,000 won't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mushy wrote: »
    Must be. It'll be 12,000 won't it?

I think it will be 15k or so with the improvements they will now do.
    Must still be the smallest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Delighted to see Blackpool make it up. Holloway will be entertaining if nothing else next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

blackpool will go down like a ton of bricks, must lump on them to get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

JPA wrote: »

They only had an average attendance of 8,000 this season.

They'll be short odds to get relegated that's for sure. Apparently they were one of the favourites to get relegated from the championship this season, which makes their achievement pretty remarkable. But this stuff about it being worth 90 million to them is an exaggeration. They're not a big enough club to generate that kind of revenue, apart from getting their share of the TV money.

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:

1. They have real quality in certain postitions - Charlie Adam is as good a midfielder in the Championship/bottom half of PL as you will see. David Vaughan is another class act, really under-rated, kept the ball all day and never gives a stupid pass, a proper footballing brain. Taylor Fletcher another quality player. Crainey at full back is one of the best attacking full backs i've seen in the Championship this year. If they can secure the services of DJ Campbell from Leicester it would be another huge coup.

2. The Ian Holloway factor - with the exception of Leicester (where he inherited rubbish players), he has been a success wherever he has been. Mostly because of his mantra of playing an expansive attacking game. Yes his teams concede goals, but they don't half score enough. His enthuasiasm for the game and determination is unmatched, you cannot underestimate it, his teams play with such belief....i've rarely seen anything like it, once he gets into the PL, there'll be no stopping him. He will yet be one of the great British managers, there's no greater character in British football today and his players would do anything for him (obviously).

3. You earlier quoted Blackpool as being another Burnley, the ''whipping boys'' of the PL. Sunderland in 2005 were whipping boys, Derby in 2007 where whipping boys, Blackpool are much better than either of those sides. Burnley, this season gone, managed at home to beat United, Tottenham, Everton, Sunderland, Birmingham, Hull and West Ham. And many would argue that if it wasn't for the departure of Owen Coyle in January, Burnley would have stayed in the PL. Now being a keen Championship observer and having watched Blackpool twice in the flesh play my own team, i would concur that the Tangerines have more than a fighting chance of staying up, if the right additions are made to the squad.

I just can't see them staying up. They've nothing to suggest they will. They're keeper and defence just isn't up to scratch. They may score goals but they won't score as many in the PL and they'll certainly concede more. The fact they're going to be held to ransom for DJ Campbell as well will hit them hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes his teams concede goals, but they don't half score enough. His enthuasiasm for the game and determination is unmatched, you cannot underestimated it, his teams play with such belief....i've rarely seen anything like it, once he gets into the PL, there'll be no stopping him.

If I can draw a parallel. In their promotion season Wolves played expansive attacking football with load of goals at both ends, Ebanks-Blake scored about 30 goals, last season he scored 2. McCarthy quickly discovered that 4-4-2 and a "go for it" approach exposed the defence, hence some heavy defeats. It was only going 4-5-1 that fixed that and saw the club work their way to surivival scoring few but conceeding less. If Blackpool are to cope they will end up doing the same or go the way of WBA in 2008/09.

Advertisement