Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare in UK?

Options
  • 22-05-2010 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, im 20 y/o and from dublin and im planning on moving to London, probably in september, does anyone know if im eligible for social welfare over there while i look for employment?
    ps. i don't have any qualifications or anything so it would be more "unskilled" work im looking for...
    any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi, im 20 y/o and from dublin and im planning on moving to London, probably in september, does anyone know if im eligible for social welfare over there while i look for employment?
    ps. i don't have any qualifications or anything so it would be more "unskilled" work im looking for...
    any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Have a look through here.

I wouldn't count on it being easy or fast to get set up, so I'd strongly suggest trying to get some money together to tide you over for a few weeks when you first move over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You only have to prove that you have lived and worked in the common travel are (UK, Ireland, IoM and the Channel Islands) for two years, the same as in Ireland.

You will need a national insurance number which can take some time and I think you will need a job before you can get one.

The system is set up to make it difficult for people to move into the UK and get benefits straight away.

You might be able to still claim Irish benefits as you haven't made a permanent move, you are only in the UK job hunting.

Advertisement