Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangefinders

• 22-05-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I recently bought a very cheap Nikon EM, and its made me fancy decent a rangefinder.

The EM is pretty limited, but it's great to have a camera thats so light and discreet.

So, can anyone recommend a good, affordable (sub €150 ideally) :Dfilm rangefinder? So far I'm considering the Yashica Lynx and Rollei 35, but would be very grateful for other suggestions.

And if anyone is selling one, I might just have a mint condition, 1954 Yashica Mat 124 in part exchange, plus a ton of film to go with it. Perhaps the dear old Nikon EM too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

What about a fed or Zorki, there are plenty on e-bay. I have a zorki and love it cost about €40.00 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Second recommendation for the Fed here. I managed to pick up a Fed 5 for €20 and despite its quirks I'm really quite fond of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Thanks - so is there a specific Fed or Zorki I should be looking out for? There seems to be a massive range available, any pointers would be appreciated. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't speak for the Zorki's as I don't have one yet. Pretty much the lower the number the better the Fed. :p The Fed 1 and 2 are highly regarded while the 5 isn't as much. In saying that my own is a 5 and several other boards users have a 5 and rate them highly. Below are some of my own shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/sets/72157622676583956

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Olympus XA is extremely light and discreet.

Canonet GIII also a nice performer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

yashica gsn electro is pretty good too it has an f1.7 lens that is well regarded picked one up acouple of years ago for €50 including postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

My everyday carry round camera is an olympus XA. If you want a light and discreet camera it's hard to beat, although I find its lens isn't fantastic wide open. Tack sharp at f/5.6 though. Definately not the best for low light situations though for a couple of reasons. That rollei 35 mentioned in the OP is a scale focus viewfinder BTW, not a rangefinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

The XA seems to be the one to go for - I'll keep an eye on on eBay. Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

There are others too!

I use an Olympus 35DC, but there's also the 35RD and the 35SP which offer more control.

Then there's the Konica Auto S2 and S3 which have amazing lenses and the Minolta HiMatic cameras which are also highly regarded.

Advertisement