Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacup / imperial shih tzu puppy wanted!!!

Options
  • 22-05-2010 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anybody know where i could get a teacup / imperial shih tzu puppy???? i have looked all over the internet but found nothing :-(

Please help!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've never heard of them sorry. I think with breeds that people call teacup, they are not a different breed as such, just a very small shih tzu/yorkie/chihuahua or whatever, and can suffer health problems because of it. They might just be breeding them for size but not making sure they'll be healthy. Then they call them teacup to make them sound cute, but I'd personally avoid buying one called teacup. I think with Shih Tzus anyway it's really important to go to a good breeder (and IKC reg'd) because you see a lot of Shih Tzus whose faces are too short, legs are quite deformed looking, etc. (not all, just some you see around) and who might be more likely to get health problems because of that. They're a lot cuter anyway if they're better bred.

Good luck finding a puppy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Naomi_ wrote: »
    Does anybody know where i could get a teacup / imperial shih tzu puppy???? i have looked all over the internet but found nothing :-(

Please help!!!!

Sorry but theres no such thing as a tea cup yorkie. They are just given that name if they are small yorkies which are usually the runt of the litter.

But there is no recognised breed of tea cup yorkie im afraid.

No such thing as an imperial Shih Tzu either, theres the normal Shih Tzu alright.
    Sorry, just realised you didnt mention Yorkie, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

no such thing im afraid .Only the normal Shih tzu .Prob another money making racket .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Grrr, this makes me so angry. There are plenty of unscrupulous *imperial* breeders in the States, out to make a quick buck on the backs of the dogs.

NO true animal lover would go near them, same goes for other canine *fashion accessories* like the "teacup" yorkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Naomi_

Ok thanks everybody.

I was just looking for a small dog because we already have a king charles and we didnt want a dog which was bigger than him. Somebody had told me that you could get smaller shih tzu's but i wasnt too sure.

I have found a shih tzu today from a breader..cant wait to meet her tomorrow :D:D
    She will be IKC registered & chipped which is good, but just have to see her mum & dad.

Fingers crossed that everything goes ok!!!!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Good luck getting the pup :) It should be nice and small anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Naomi_

Cant wait to see her!! :D:D:D

Hopefully the two dogs will get on now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Naomi_ wrote: »
    Cant wait to see her!! :D:D:D

Hopefully the two dogs will get on now!!

Good luck with getting new pup - please try to have a look where they are kept as well as seeing mother and father and siblings. And get documents up front - papers etc.

Standard Shih Tzus are about Cavalier size, if not a bit smaller, so looking for particularly small ones may only cause more trouble in the long run with health issues and such.

Hope it all goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Avoid those Imperial shih tzu's like the plague, I know someone with two and they're costing them a bomb.
    One of the poor dogs has some spinal problems due to its being bred so small, walks with a wobble, kind of crab like, they both have breathing problems and eye problems. The vet says he's heard it from a few other vets that they have a lot of health issues. They are now facing the choice of whether to put the sicker one to sleep as its in some pain.
    A well bred normal size one should be fine, just as said see the parents and surroundings, and ask to see the parents papers and any health certs they may have.

I'm sure they'll get along great :) Cavaliers are lovely, and if the new one's a puppy then they should bond really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

any chance you could try rescue a dog , there a loads of lovely small dogs been put to sleep every day

Advertisement