Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strike action is called for by the union in Teva.

• 22-05-2010 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

It has been announced this week ,that after failing to agree with the Teva Management team after 9 months ,it is recommended by SIPTU to reject the 8 full weeks for every year you work there is not a good deal ,a meeting of the workers to be held next Sunday 30th @ 11 am in the Tower Hotel Waterford .

The main topic is to ballot the members to reject the company offer ,which in turn will lead to industrial action ,that been a strike .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So two weeks is the basic under the law and they're being offered 8 which they still ain't happy with? Its not like 8 weeks is not that much.

What exactly do they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

its six full weeks two weeks statuary......its an issue to do with with seniority....they wont honour it

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Teva is one of the largest generic drug companies in the world with manufacturing plants on every continent!!

I wonder firstly what effect a strike will have on such a large organisation and secondly, what effect it will have on their decision to stay in Waterford.

I believe that the unions have generally positioned Waterford as a unionized City and you wonder why Waterford don't get its share of High-skilled FDI like Galway as mentioned in another thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urhavinalaugh

They are not taken the 8 week package because its a seniority issue with the remaining workers ,they are closing the tablet plant with a total loss of jobs (317 people),and the union want to transfer as many of those people to the inhalations plant which remaining open ,as a result of this all temp employees will loose there jobs in both plants ,the remaining workers with enough years with the company must decide wether to take redundancy or relocation to inhalations.The company want only 45 people to transfer and the union want more people to be considered .
    But the real sticky point is the Seniority issue which SIPTU want. The company say that a person with for example has been in inhalations for 3 years is entitled to keep there job ,then a person with 20 years in the tablet plant ,by the way the transfer of skills issue is minimal . And as a result over the years people have been moved from one site to the other as result their business needs.

Hi Josh 3

Its 8 full weeks ,worked out by your average wage over the last 6 months ,from Jan to June .The company wanted 6 weeks the union wanted 10 weeks the Labour Court recommended 8 weeks, and the company said on Wednesday it honour the LCR of 8 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

They are not taken the 8 week package because its a seniority issue with the remaining workers ,they are closing the tablet plant with a total loss of jobs (317 people),and the union want to transfer as many of those people to the inhalations plant which remaining open ,as a result of this all temp employees will loose there jobs in both plants ,the remaining workers with enough years with the company must decide wether to take redundancy or relocation to inhalations.The company want only 45 people to transfer and the union want more people to be considered .
    But the real sticky point is the Seniority issue which SIPTU want. The company say that a person with for example has been in inhalations for 3 years is entitled to keep there job ,then a person with 20 years in the tablet plant ,by the way the transfer of skills issue is minimal . And as a result over the years people have been moved from one site to the other as result their business needs.

They should be happy to get 8 weeks,if its a lump sum paid straightaway...not like the phase payments the crystal workers got stung on.
    As for seniority,its understandable that people with 20 years service in one plant would expect to be kept over people with less service in the plant that is being kept...and if it is in fact the case that retraining is minimal,those senior should be kept imo.

Why are the company saying that they think less senior people should be kept ?
    It is possible they dont want the people in the tablet factory transferring over.....companies always have alterior motives.
    If i was running that company i would just say how many i want gone and let the unions thrash it out,no sense in attracting further animosity by saying whch should be kept.....

Hi Sosa

Yes it looks like if your face dont fit we dont want you here ,thats why the union are taken this action , the 8 weeks is one part of the package and seniority is the other .

What do you do ????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Teva employees should be satisfied with the deal. That tablet plant has been in trouble for years, and there were a number of calls to close. 8 weeks is more than fair, as the Labour Court agreement would indicate.

I don't see why someone who has been employed there for 20 years should be entitled to more rights than someone who has been there for 5. Moving people around would also increase training costs and further destabilise the operation.

As for Waterford being a unionised city-yeah the traditions are certainly there. However, most MNC's now, especially the newer arrivals, simply won't recognise unions. The voluntarist system in Ireland gives them a lot of room for how they want to operate.

Hi Hardybuck

Your way off the mark in the last few years this tablet plant has produced record volumes of tablets and often then not hit there production targets as there 6 month bonus payouts will testify,the reason this factory is closing is unit costs , for example if it costs 20 cents to make a tablet in Waterford and it only costs 10 cents in Hungry ,they will close Waterford . Can you imagine how the much the Hungarians weekly wages is ,this decision is purely down to greed , nothing else .

So get your facts right !!!!

I'm related to a former long time executive who fought for many years to keep that plant open. I have access to more facts than the ones you have access to. This decision goes back a long way.

Greed-you hardly think Teva is a charity do you!? Would be unusual for a Jewish owned company to be anti-profit.

• Advertisement

Yes Hardybuck

Maybe the reason he is now a FORMER member, they did shift a lot of deadwood over recent years ,listen pal that business has been making serious money in the last 5 years ,they made more tablets in the last few years ,over double the previous 2 years .We used to make millions of tablets now were are making billions .

Executive management is quite like Premiership football. Every few years a new manager will take over a team and will proceed to clear out his squad and bring in his own people. This is a politicial reality.

The reason the person I know was there so long was that he was trusted by the owners and founders of the old Norton for being straight. The reason why he left was retirement-and he laughed all the way to the bank on that one. None of the subsequent replacements lasted very long. No need to need to make personal jibes.

If a more profitable alternative becomes available, a multinational will take that alternative. That is what they are in business for. I'm sorry for you if you are losing out, but this is the risk of relying upon MNC investment. No loyalty, especially in a generic manufacturer.

The Union will probably make a stand, but in reality this will only make things worse for the workers. It wouldn't really cause Teva much hassle to pull out of Ireland altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

8 weeks based on average pay over 6 months is a good deal, but the issue of seniority is one that would worry me!

20 years service as opposed to maybe 5 or 6???? twenty wins every time in my view!!

Hey

Premiership football comparison is great i could see Fergie doing a great job with Inhalations .

Hey

Premiership football comparison is great i could see Fergie doing a great job with Inhalations .

Many of the best managers have the same basic traits, values and personalities, regardless of their industry. Fergie has his a number of resources to manage like any other MD, and was obviously hugely successful.

Just a simple example to help you understand the politicial realities of executive management, and the need for regular clearing out 'deadwood' as you call it.

Maybe its not just at a management level, and they want to clear out some of the deadwood among the operatives as well. This could be the reason for the current union rumblings.

Yes alas DEADWOOD is in most common material in alot of factories ,usually the ones with the biggest mouths and little impact on production ,if they are not out sick (on full pay)they are in on overtime (weekend double time).Screwing the system .

On the subject of sickness and bad attendence the managers and facilitators are the worst offenders out there.

Thats very interesting as I'm currently writing a research paper in the field of absenteeism. While your observations about Teva may be valid, my research to date would show that the opposite is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

ur havin a laugh...the vote will be tight i would reckon....im pretty sure its still 6 and two....correct me if im wrong...its not as easy to sort as taking the money..i would reject it myself..

Josh

No its defo 8 full weeks(average over 26 weeks), i have the letter here !:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Is it capped?

Eg if someone is there 20 years, would they get the 160 weeks?

• Advertisement

Yes it your average gross wage x 8 ,and multiply that by the number of years service :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

8 weeks based on average pay over 6 months is a good deal, but the issue of seniority is one that would worry me!

20 years service as opposed to maybe 5 or 6???? twenty wins every time in my view!!

I would prefer to see decisions made on ability and not seniority. You see what promoting based on seniority does to the Public Sector... If you have 20 years experience and the ability then you would have nothing to worry about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 d_j

hardybuck wrote: »
    Maybe its not just at a management level, and they want to clear out some of the deadwood among the operatives as well. This could be the reason for the current union rumblings.

Yes, Teva management are obviously hellbent on a 'deadwood' clearance from their solid dose site but this should not come at the expense of their productive, proactive, conscious, decent, loyal and above all honest hard working employees who have helped to build the company to where it is today just because they're based in the site that is shutting shop.
    Yes Boss wrote: »
    If you have 20 years experience and the ability then you would have nothing to worry about!!

Pity that isn't the case in Teva!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Teva are being awkward. They have refused to meet the union on many occasions, didn't follow the recommendations from the LRC and won't give redundancy to people that want to take it. If they would give redundancy to all the people that want to take it they could make the amount of people being left go considerably less but they won't do this for some unknown reason. The reason for closing the tablet manufacturing plant is totally down to greed as pointed out previously. They want to get their profits up to 20 billion. Its as simple as that. I work there and we had a big meeting a few months before they announced they were closing to tell us all about it. And a bit before that we were called in to be told that we were all going to have jobs for life there and that there was no chance of the place closing in the next 20 years. They company is shameless and lie through their teeth to get what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

dayshah wrote: »
    Is it capped?

Eg if someone is there 20 years, would they get the 160 weeks?
    That seems to be the case from what I understand. There is no cap applied. However, management have threatened to withdraw this and go back to their original offer if the agreement is rejected.
    I find this particularly unfair oin the non unionised workers who have no say but can still be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tom111

Company offer to union looks to be rejected unanimously due not to money or seniority but due to company offer be vague and open to interpertation, offer is not 8 week but six weeks, which will be negotiated by company after their offer is accepted by union which everyone knows that company will cause these talks to collapse just like all talks up to now resulting in only 6 weeks being offered, another major point is voluntary redundancies which the company will not allow, they are alot of people looking to leave but cant and others want to stay and also cant. Letters of intimidiation have also been recieved by members of union. In this day and age it is better to be employed with a weekly wage than to have a lump sum which will eventually be gone. Sundays union meeting is scheduled to run for 3 to 4 hours so more should be know by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I find this particularly unfair oin the non unionised workers who have no say but can still be affected.

If they wanted a vote in union decisions they could have joined the union.

tom111 wrote: »
    Company offer to union looks to be rejected unanimously due not to money or seniority but due to company offer be vague and open to interpertation, offer is not 8 week but six weeks, which will be negotiated by company after their offer is accepted by union which everyone knows that company will cause these talks to collapse just like all talks up to now resulting in only 6 weeks being offered, another major point is voluntary redundancies which the company will not allow, they are alot of people looking to leave but cant and others want to stay and also cant. Letters of intimidiation have also been recieved by members of union. In this day and age it is better to be employed with a weekly wage than to have a lump sum which will eventually be gone. Sundays union meeting is scheduled to run for 3 to 4 hours so more should be know by then.
    It clearly states in the letter sent to employees on Thursday,Acceptance means implementation of Labour Court Recommendations including the redundancy terms of 8 weeks per year of service,and rejection means reversion to the standard package as in 2002 agreement. These are the facts ,get it right ,dont mislead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tom111

Letter sent to employees is actually not the same as letter sent to connolly hall, letter to union is actually shorter and has no explaniation of how many weeks employees will get, only that company will engage with union with regards to payment of 8 weeks as per lrc recommondation. why would they engage with union if they have refused to sit in the same room as them for last 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

dayshah wrote: »
    If they wanted a vote in union decisions they could have joined the union.
    Alot of staff are not allowed join the union, its not their own choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement