Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strike action is called for by the union in Teva.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Heard that the union were all going to resign if this vote goes against them.Tough decision for workers.Eight weeks is a good package but how long would the money last and there is f**k all jobs out there.The government promise money for retraining these workers but there is no jobs to train for.I know a lot of lads working out there who are there the bones of twenty years and yes the money would be nice but what about 5 years time when its gone.Seniority must count foe something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Blaaface

I never read such a misinformed post in my life. Here are some facts

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the unions job to talk to their members? And as for management with workers, they HAVE met with non-union workers several times - after all, there are more non-union than union workers in Teva in case you didn't notice. And as we're on the subject, I hope you realise that Inhalations workers have hardly seen your beloved union committee over the last 9 months. They've met with SD workers far more. I wonder why that is? Is it something to do with the fact that they're nearly all SD on the committee?

I fully admit the Union should have been more vocal in their communication for both sites and that's where they've left themselves down in my view. But it has been pathetic the letters and emails the company have sent out begging for a Yes vote and that can't be deined.

How come the company is agreeing to implement ALL of the Labour Court recommendations without exception? And the union are recommending rejecting them?

Well then why did Martin King have to come down and try and deal with the company before walking away because the company were impossible to get through to. They are NOT implementing ALL of the labour court recommendations.

Bollix. Its the union who have insisted from the start that temporary workers must go ahead of permanent workers who want to go. Them & their precious seniority.

Temporary people have always been left go first that's why they're called 'Temporary' the union told these people that their jobs were gone yet the company told them they were staying and then going to the labour court to tell them they were leaving go all the tempories, that is a 'Fact'

The company wanted to keep some temporaty staff but are complying with the courts recommendations that they must go first.

As i said already they admitted to leaving people go in the court which was 4 weeks before the recommendation was released.

You're in the minority mate - the unions have been disgraceful in their attitude. What about their announcement this week that the apparently have some 'information' about the managements postion but they would not disclose it until next Sunday - just before the vote. Thats BS. Whatever crap they come up with can't be denied or challenged by the company as the vote is due to take place 5 minutes later. And then they expect their own members to vote on one of the most important decisions in their working lives with just a few minutes consideration?

If you think i'm in the minority then you're sadly mistaken, the workers are quite angry about their treatment by management and i know most have their mind madeup before this meeting tomorrow and if you think they come up with 'crap' then i know it will be challanged as you don't think the company are just going to leave the Union do their own thing tomorrow. If the 8 weeks are turned down then its a sign that the management have failed during this whole process, its an excellent package but sometimes its about standing up for what you believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urhavinalaugh

Forgive me if I'm not seeing the forest for the trees but is SIPTU requesting that their members gamble the 8 weeks + 45 jobs and the reputation and future of the inhalations factory? And are they asking this of people who have spent a large portion of their lives building this reputation and earning this 8 weeks with no promise of anything in return? Please clarify. :confused:

Yes thats exactly a gamble !, we the long serving workers now want to except this brilliant package and in doing so create a job for some one else to go to the inhalations plant and they recommend we reject for the sake of seniority.:confused:

tom111 wrote: »
    People must remember that only for previous siptu agreements company had option to only pay out 2 weeks statutory, and if siptu hadnt have submitted request for labour court hearing 8 weeks wouldnt be on the table for anyone...... some people have a short memory ,As for the last 9 months union members and non union members have not only asked but encouraged union to try and get more money and now that its got they think the union are a shower on c**ts, teva in ireland is going to close no matter what is outcome of this ballot due to patent being up in a couple of years so people should realise they have to stick together, if they want the next package to be any way decent.....

Other Package to be decent ,are u for real ,what do you want a company car and house as well .

Yes thats exactly a gamble !, we the long serving workers now want to except this brilliant package and in doing so create a job for some one else to go to the inhalations plant and they recommend we reject for the sake of seniority.:confused:

and what about the 30odd workers in Inhalations who have been there a long time and want to take this redundancy but are not allowed to, they'd create further jobs for people who want to stay.

• Advertisement

Are you looking for a full time job with SIPTU ,your wasted on this committee !

Blaaface wrote: »
    and what about the 30odd workers in Inhalations who have been there a long time and want to take this redundancy but are not allowed to, they'd create further jobs for people who want to stay.

Correct me if im wrong ,its the tablet plant thats closing ,not inhalations !:rolleyes:

Correct me if im wrong ,its the tablet plant thats closing ,not inhalations !:rolleyes:

Well obviously your happy to take the money and not give a **** about the workers in solid dose who need the job in inhalations to pay for their mortgage. Well once your happy that's all that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

Other Package to be decent ,are u for real ,what do you want a company car and house as well .
    I think he means if there is future redundancy packages down the line without a strong union the company will offer alot less.

Are you looking for a full time job with SIPTU ,your wasted on this committee !

Strangley enough i'm just a long time worker out there but i actually stand up for what i believe in.

• Advertisement

jay.i.am wrote: »
    I think he means if there is future redundancy packages down the line without a strong union the company will offer alot less.

He's having a 'mare on this.

Well obviously your happy to take the money and not give a **** about the workers in solid dose who need the job in inhalations to pay for their mortgage. Well once your happy that's all that counts.

Too right if ye reject 8 weeks ,i will have to go to inhalations , against my will ,so pray for a yes vote !;)

Too right if ye reject 8 weeks ,i will have to go to inhalations , against my will ,so pray for a yes vote !;)

Oh ye of little faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 d_j

Can't wait for this to be all over (one way or another). Management have frustrated this whole situation (and their staff) as much as they possibly could have.

THINK ABOUT IT!!

d_j wrote: »
    Can't wait for this to be all over (one way or another). Management have frustrated this whole situation (and their staff) as much as they possibly could have.

THINK ABOUT IT!!

Haha, probably the funniest email i recieved in years that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 d_j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 8weeksplease

The union committee are in it for themselves they couldn`t give a toss about anyone else or what they want when temps in SD were being let go last year they were nowhere WHY? because they wanted them outa there so they could have more overtime for themselves.

This week they tried to tell the temporary workers and people in R&D that they didn`t have the right to vote because the decision doesn`t affect them which is B**L*CKS they think all the temps and R&D will vote against them.

They threaten to resign if people don`t vote there way and it will be the end of the union and seniority. Thats B**L*CKS aswell we are not voting to change the site agreement its still valid. As for resigning go ahead and resign siptu are still obliged to represent us we are still paying union fees. In fact some union members have gone over the committees head and requested representation from siptu in disciplinary matters in the past because they wouldn't trust any of our own committee members to do it.

Now they are saying they have new info about the managements tactics but they wont tell us until the meeting WHY so we cant find out the truth about what they are saying before the vote

They think they can bully and scare people into doing what they want and f*ck everyone else who doesn`t agree with them.

The union committee are in it for themselves they couldn`t give a toss about anyone else or what they want when temps in SD were being let go last year they were nowhere WHY? because they wanted them outa there so they could have more overtime for themselves.

This week they tried to tell the temporary workers and people in R&D that they didn`t have the right to vote because the decision doesn`t affect them which is B**L*CKS they think all the temps and R&D will vote against them.

They threaten to resign if people don`t vote there way and it will be the end of the union and seniority. Thats B**L*CKS aswell we are not voting to change the site agreement its still valid. As for resigning go ahead and resign siptu are still obliged to represent us we are still paying union fees. In fact some union members have gone over the committees head and requested representation from siptu in disciplinary matters in the past because they wouldn't trust any of our own committee members to do it.

Now they are saying they have new info about the managements tactics but they wont tell us until the meeting WHY so we cant find out the truth about what they are saying before the vote

They think they can bully and scare people into doing what they want and f*ck everyone else who doesn`t agree with them.

Enjoy your hangover tomorrow. I know for a fact that members are happy with the 8 weeks but are fighting for the people in Inhalations who want to leave. Some people actually fight for what they believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

I fully admit the Union should have been more vocal in their communication for both sites and that's where they've left themselves down in my view. But it has been pathetic the letters and emails the company have sent out begging for a Yes vote and that can't be deined.
    How was it different from the begging for a no vote by the union?
    Well then why did Martin King have to come down and try and deal with the company before walking away because the company were impossible to get through to. They are NOT implementing ALL of the labour court recommendations.
    Martin King came down to talk to both sides. And yes they are proposing implementing ALL LC recommendations. Check the LC website then look at the proposals & come back to me when you find any differences.
    Temporary people have always been left go first that's why they're called 'Temporary' the union told these people that their jobs were gone yet the company told them they were staying and then going to the labour court to tell them they were leaving go all the tempories, that is a 'Fact'
    Ask the union why so many of their members were still temporary after 3 or 4 years. Why didn't they fight for them to be made permanent? Would it have affected their OT I wonder?

If you think i'm in the minority then you're sadly mistaken, the workers are quite angry about their treatment by management and i know most have their mind madeup before this meeting tomorrow and if you think they come up with 'crap' then i know it will be challanged as you don't think the company are just going to leave the Union do their own thing tomorrow. If the 8 weeks are turned down then its a sign that the management have failed during this whole process, its an excellent package but sometimes its about standing up for what you believe in.
    Seeing as there are more non-union than union staff I would say that a vote between a minority of the workforce shouldn't have any legal standing. A vote against is a vote for 6 weeks & nothing else. 315 people are still going to lose their jobs no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Money Tree

Union have voted No and have also voted for industrial action. I just hope they know what they are doing or a lot of people may live to regret this. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Whilst I don't work at TEVA. I am disappointed to hear the result! I hope this is not a Waterford Crystal 2 with short-term ego decisions by the union with the loss in the long-term of another large employer in Waterford. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Whilst I don't work at TEVA. I am disappointed to hear the result! I hope this is not a Waterford Crystal 2 with short-term ego decisions by the union with the loss in the long-term of another large employer in Waterford. :(:(

Why are you disappointed with a democratic decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chief Wigam

19.5V wrote: »

Because the decision made this morning will also affect non-unionised people in two ways, 1. the loss of a potential 2 weeks pay per year of service for those being made redundant and 2. it puts non unionised staff in a very tricky situation if there is a picket outside the TEVA building.:mad:

Its not a democratic decision if the outcome affects those who had no vote or say in the first place.

How was it different from the begging for a no vote by the union?

I didn't get letters or emails trying to scare me into voting No, thankfully i have my own mind and voted for what i believed in.

Martin King came down to talk to both sides. And yes they are proposing implementing ALL LC recommendations. Check the LC website then look at the proposals & come back to me when you find any differences.

So why did Martin King walk away if they were implementing all the recommendations? They were implementing their version it which was wrong and they were told it by the Labour court that they were wrong.

Ask the union why so many of their members were still temporary after 3 or 4 years. Why didn't they fight for them to be made permanent? Would it have affected their OT I wonder?

You're going off on one here.

Seeing as there are more non-union than union staff I would say that a vote between a minority of the workforce shouldn't have any legal standing. A vote against is a vote for 6 weeks & nothing else. 315 people are still going to lose their jobs no matter what.

243 people will disagree with you there. Unfortuantly 315 will lose their jobs which is happening because of a greedy company but now hopefully some people who need the job that are being left go now have a chance they can keep a job.

Because the decision made this morning will also affect non-unionised people in two ways, 1. the loss of a potential 2 weeks pay per year of service for those being made redundant and 2. it puts non unionised staff in a very tricky situation if there is a picket outside the TEVA building.:mad:

Its not a democratic decision if the outcome affects those who had no vote or say in the first place.

Lets hope it doesn't come down to a strike, the next two weeks are crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tell me how it was democratic? Not one of the union group advised acceptance of the deal, in fact the union more less demanded its members reject.

It is a democratic decision, the company recognise the union as being the negotiating element in this process, this is part of the reason unions exists.

NYPRO closed No union No one to fight for the worker.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Tell me how it was democratic? Not one of the union group advised acceptance of the deal, in fact the union more less demanded its members reject.

Was there a vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

NYPRO closed No union No one to fight for the worker.

Nypro closed because their sole customer, Hewlett Packard, decided to move some of their business abroad and reduce their Irish operations.

The lack of a union had nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Was there a vote?

Because the information supplied to the workers was one-sided and biased!!

Can someone from TEVA explain what the Union hopes to achieve from rejecting the offer?? It is clear what is on offer but the alternative looks sketchy!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement