Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strike action is called for by the union in Teva.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Insane1 wrote: »
    Yeaterday you were GUARANTEED 8 weeks and 45 transfers to inhalations.

Today you have been guaranteed what exactly? Let me tell you what:

You have guaranteed the Full Closure of both sites in Waterford much sooner than was planned. On reading the Labour Court Recommendation posted here, the company looks to have complied with it perfectly. The Union Spin Doctors have disregarded its recommendations.

For those of you who voted today to reject the package I feel sorry for you and especially for your families for having you as the 'Responsibe' key decision maker for your family. You have taken a huge gamble for everyone!

Small Mindedness and Narrow Perceptions won the day. Your Managing Director and Head of HR are only middle-men. Puppets merely dancing from an Israeli string.

For the love of God, Hitler tortured, massacred and wiped out almost 6,000,000 of these people but still could not get the better of them... I think the SIPTU Waterford branch are being a tad optimistic, wouldn't you agree?

The trouble with Unions is that they would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism...

From reading all the other posts i believe that yours is a clear synopsis of the situation. I hope for all the employees that the decision made today was the right one and not the writing on the wall for the entire operation and another indication to FDIs that Waterford is a no go zone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Blaaface

You have guaranteed the Full Closure of both sites in Waterford much sooner than was planned. On reading the Labour Court Recommendation posted here, the company looks to have complied with it perfectly. The Union Spin Doctors have disregarded its recommendations.

For those of you who voted today to reject the package I feel sorry for you and especially for your families for having you as the 'Responsibe' key decision maker for your family. You have taken a huge gamble for everyone!

Small Mindedness and Narrow Perceptions won the day. Your Managing Director and Head of HR are only middle-men. Puppets merely dancing from an Israeli string.

For the love of God, Hitler tortured, massacred and wiped out almost 6,000,000 of these people but still could not get the better of them... I think the SIPTU Waterford branch are being a tad optimistic, wouldn't you agree?

The trouble with Unions is that they would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism...

Martin King from THE LABOUR COURT arrived down to try and do a deal between the Union and the company but had to walk away from the negotiations because the company had no intention of co-operating. Now if they fully abided with the reccomendation why didn't he tell the Union they were the ones being stubborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

Completely agree with this summary...
    i have the feeling Teva will just close the doors altogether :mad: This is going to cost alot of people alot of money... for a selected no. of people to go across the road to the inhaler plant which IMO will close very soon anyway... and when it will eventually go cant see the decent package being offered available again because they will have nothing to bargain with in the future.

I think it may turn very ugly unfortunately...... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

justen wrote: »
    The court recmmends that these options be explored further so that COMPULSORY REDUNDANDCIES BE MINIMISED.
    AND!!!!!!!!

The union did an expression of intrest which could have went a long way to solving the problem the company did not want to know.
    Was this recommended.

As for the commitee being senior under the REJECTED deal most of them would have had the choice to stay and transfer or go with the 8 weeks yet they sought for a rejecting.
    Why?

Seniority is not some new concept drawn up to suit the solid dose workers its worked the other way down through the years.
    WTF!!!! where did that come from?

If it comes to standing outside so be it ill be after standing up for something i believe in.
    Facts and figures would be nicer if you've got them.

I hope you didn't have a vote.
    Hears both a fact and a figure for you 243 against 160 for.
    and thats the only one that matters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Insane1

jay.i.am wrote: »
    243 against 160 for and thats the only one that matters at this stage.

As I stated previously:

Small Mindedness and Narrow Perceptions.

Its Scary actually.....

(Apologese to anyone who has thanked any of my posts - Apparantly I need 10 post before I get a thumbs up button to thank you back! lol)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 justen

jay.i.am wrote: »
    Hears both a fact and a figure for you 243 against 160 for.
    and thats the only one that matters at this stage.

As I thought there is not one person can come back and say why they voted for industrial action. Can any one of you explain what you have voted for and the risks involved?

How much more money do you want?
    How many more transfers would be required?
    If 9 months hasn't resolved it do you think a strike will?
    What concessions have been made by both sides?
    Who is more likely to see it out to the bitter end?
    Based on the ruling of the labour court who is closer to its requests?
    Who negotiated the current deal the union or the company?

justen wrote: »
    As I thought there is not one person can come back and say why they voted for industrial action. Can any one of you explain what you have voted for and the risks involved?

How much more money do you want?
    How many more transfers would be required?
    If 9 months hasn't resolved it do you think a strike will?
    What concessions have been made by both sides?
    Who is more likely to see it out to the bitter end?
    Based on the ruling of the labour court who is closer to its requests?
    Who negotiated the current deal the union or the company?

They are fair questions to ask and if the situation is fair and equitable for all the employees at TEVA, there is no reason why they cannot be answered. The decision made today impacts everyone at TEVA and not only a select few!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ScoobyDont

"What need you being come to sense,
    But fumble in a greasy till,
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer, until
    You have dried the marrow from the bone?"

I am sick now of the thoughts of in working in Teva.
    The decadence which has rocked the global economy has finally reached critical mass within its walls.

I have cut my body and broken my back working other jobs for little pay with no union and no guarantee of a future. I gave these jobs everything. I always try to be good hard worker because it makes me feel good about myself. To me there is honor in that. When I was let go from those jobs I shook my employers hand and wished him well in the future. I left with no redundancy but I left with pride in myself.

The whole concept of how easy these factory jobs are is hard for me to grasp but even more, the lack of gratitude to an employer that has for years given us the power to carve the very foundations of our lives from the rock beneath our feet is shocking and foreign to my mindset.

I may have to work to rule at some stage soon. Working to rule for me is another way of saying you must behave like you are ignorant and spoilt. This won't be a problem for some but it goes against every fibre of my being. In order to avoid unending antagonisation from the protection racket I have involuntarily come to find myself attached to I must piss all over my own self respect.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." - Bertrand Russell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bigtonyview

I am sick now of the thoughts of in working in Teva.
    The decadence which has rocked the global economy has finally reached critical mass within its walls.

I am happy to strike even if have to risk other people jobs ITS MY RIGHT "SIPTU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tom_west

you hit the nail on the head with that comment

Gogirl2010 wrote: »
    The people that voted to reject and strike are absolute twats. The union are conning and brain washing people into thinking that they've nothing to lose which is a lie. It's disgraceful that people are carrying on like this in this economy. They are messing with people lives and futures. The numbers agreed to go to inhalations match the numbers after the ballot taken by the union but they are in the wrong area's. I'm proud to say I voted to accept as they are all fools to believe the bu****it being put out there by the union. The union reps are just looking after theirselves, they don't care what happens to people after TEVA if they do get a place in inhalations. They should all be ashamed of themselves I hope life works out well for them. Are they not even thinking of the position they are putting staff in, if they don't pass the picket they will lose their jobs and their redundancy and if they do they will be called scabs by the fools being led like sheep with no brains by the union. People should pray for Waterford as this may be the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tom_west

friday 28/05/10 the workers had eight weeks based on average earning from the company

Sunday 30/05/10

the union went back and got us six weeks based on our basic

50% of my redundancy is not gone because of the union of who i paid to look after me and have now screwed me over

thanks for nothing siptu i hope ye 5 get your jobs across the road

good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gogirl2010

Mugser wrote: »
    Strike action has NOT been called by the union, the vote on sunday is on whether or not to accept the companies final position. If, and only if its rejected then there will be a ballot on whether or not to take industrial action.

Think you are wrong here the union have been calling for a strike for almost 2 weeks threatening workers that have forgotten how to think for themselves or to rationalize facts and myths. I was there I listened to the bu****it

Gogirl2010 wrote: »
    The company gave out notices and e-mails in the week running up to the vote, they put their cards plain and simply on the table. What did the union put out ? Nothing, up until the meeting on Sunday. This is due to the fact that they wanted to be sneaky and underhanded and twist everything to rile up people just before the vote. This shouldn't be allowed. Isn't there some rule that politician's can't canvass for a number of days before voting takes place so that people can make up their own mind. If the union were being honest they would have laid their cards out on the table like the company. If they hadn't had the meeting I think the vote would have been different.

That is unfortunately what Unions can do! When you give power in any shape to a small group of people they can use that power to suit their own needs. I would suggest that ALL the staff in the plant should demand a meeting with the Union to clarify the situation because there is too much at stake!!

It all sounds a little Machiavellian to me!!

tom111 wrote: »
    Quit true, some bosses in work were going around canvasing a yes vote and when asked if not for union what would they be getting, 8 weeks, six weeks or statuatory, non could reply, this offer is not on the table for any non unionised workers, its only there becausce you are discrimaniting against people if you give one person one package and somreone else a different offer and this is against the Employment Equality Act, and company can be sued for being in breach of this. Why didnt the senior management talk to the normal unionised worker??????? :Instead they sent down people whow were 1. being made redundant and 2 these people wanted the best deal for themselves which can be completely understanded. If anything over the past week management tactics alone have made people vote no, I think vote to accept company proposal will be close but if rejected vote for industrial action will be a landslide and if this happens i cant see siptu calling off strike for a package that doesn't contain 8 weeks at the minimum.
    The answer to that is that it was always a 6 weeks package not 2 as you state. I'll give it that the union went to the labour court but the company changed for the labour court and not the union. All along we were hearing from the union to wait for the LC recommendation and when it comes and the company agrees it's not enough. In fairness the management run the company not the union and thank god for that as look where the union have got us

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bride ofjune

Hi , I was at the soo called meeting yesterday & i felt intimated from people from the tablet manufacturing they don't seem to realise that because their jobs are at jeapordy so are the Inhalation business know, their are more people might i add in the solid dose business might i add so every time their is a vote they are going to win.

And as for the union they wouldn't speak to people properly before the meeting on Sunday, told everyone they would speak to the properly before the vote. And then yesterday at the meeting got alot of people hyped up before they made their vote, a pack of bully's once people that leave the company know now that they will not receive 8 weeks or anything like it. As 1 person committed & said" are SIPTU going to pay peoples mortgage or wage's "NO THEIR NOT.

Might i add also that their are only 2 union people fron Inhalation's all the rest are from Solid dose business so remember all of their jobs are at jeapordy too the 2 people from the Inhalation business didn't even speak yesterday .

Regards
    Bride of J

Hi , I was at the soo called meeting yesterday & i felt intimated from people from the tablet manufacturing they don't seem to realise that because their jobs are at jeapordy so are the Inhalation business know, their are more people might i add in the solid dose business might i add so every time their is a vote they are going to win.

And as for the union they wouldn't speak to people properly before the meeting on Sunday, told everyone they would speak to the properly before the vote. And then yesterday at the meeting got alot of people hyped up before they made their vote, a pack of bully's once people that leave the company know now that they will not receive 8 weeks or anything like it. As 1 person committed & said" are SIPTU going to pay peoples mortgage or wage's "NO THEIR NOT.

Might i add also that their are only 2 union people fron Inhalation's all the rest are from Solid dose business so remember all of their jobs are at jeapordy too the 2 people from the Inhalation business didn't even speak yesterday .

Regards
    Bride of J

Well said I agree they are just bullies and the collapse of this country with so many companies pulling out is down to this disgraceful behavior from the unions. This is just another sad story that affects so many people but the union can't see this they just want to win a made up battle and get praise and glory (a union reps words not mine). Well they can say goodbye to it after this move shame and disgrace more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SATCGIRL

I can't believe that people in this company are being soooo short-sighted. Israel have an MDPI filling line and are currently producing batches of product. Miami have the equipment for HFA production. It's only a matter of time before they have a licence. Both sites are catching up on us. If there's trouble here in Waterford it'll be nothing to Israel to up sticks. They can go and contract out manufacture of inhalations products and wind-up solid dose earlier than planned.
    And for those people who are claiming that there were no boos and abuse of people that had the courage to speak up, that's a load of bull. The treatment of these people by other union members was disgusting.

In my opinion there are lies on wrong-doings on both sides and the LRC recommendation was a fair compromise. The company accepted it and that's why I voted YES. It was the only SENSIBLE option. I wonder will all those who voted "No" be happy to discuss "what's right, boy" when they're all in the dole queue!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shocking whats happened so far, a strike will only end badly in the long run :(

The lack of a response to Justins questions from the pro-Union members is shocking and must highlight the game playing that is happening. I would suggest that ALL employees of TEVA, whether union or non-union question the stance of this group of people before all is lost!

The best of luck to you all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bride ofjune

SATCGIRL wrote: »
    I can't believe that people in this company are being soooo short-sighted. Israel have an MDPI filling line and are currently producing batches of product. Miami have the equipment for HFA production. It's only a matter of time before they have a licence. Both sites are catching up on us. If there's trouble here in Waterford it'll be nothing to Israel to up sticks. They can go and contract out manufacture of inhalations products and wind-up solid dose earlier than planned.
    And for those people who are claiming that there were no boos and abuse of people that had the courage to speak up, that's a load of bull. The treatment of these people by other union members was disgusting.

In my opinion there are lies on wrong-doings on both sides and the LRC recommendation was a fair compromise. The company accepted it and that's why I voted YES. It was the only SENSIBLE option. I wonder will all those who voted "No" be happy to discuss "what's right, boy" when they're all in the dole queue!

Total agree with you their not going to pay wage's to people . I voted YES too but the the maturity seem to rule their is less Unionist emloyee's in the Inhalation business, to some this could mean a loss of a years salary dropping back to the 6 week plan, instead of 8 its a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ladygagadeise

At least the people from Inhalations got to vote, as far as I can see the biggest losers here are the non-unionised staff:
    THEY HAD NO VOICE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bigtonyview

Everyone should join SIPTU this week and request a new vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

At least the people from Inhalations got to vote, as far as I can see the biggest losers here are the non-unionised staff:
    THEY HAD NO VOICE

If they want a voice in a union vote, perhaps they should have joined. It's no good deciding not to be part of it and then complaining about not having a voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Flumoxed

Does anyone know what the union want exactly as they are not answering any of the direct questions? Neither the union members or the company seem to know!!!

Exactly how many people want to stay with the company from Solid Dose, that would be entitled to if the LIFO rule was applied?

THEY HAD NO VOICE

I thought unions cared about workers in general or do they only care about the paid up lackeys!! I find their approach in general to be hostile whilst most modern HRM in the developed world is based around adequate laws and collaboration!! There will be no room for these kinds of belligerent groups in the future!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I thought unions cared about workers in general or do they only care about the paid up lackeys!! I find their approach in general to be hostile whilst most modern HRM in the developed world is based around adequate laws and collaboration!! There will be no room for these kinds of belligerent groups in the future!!!

Take a break..........you dont even work there........... so why do you feel the approach to be hostile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

THEY HAD NO VOICE

If you don't play for the team you can't expect to come in for the big win.

Ha! This is so true! Look what they did at the weekend - they wanna send that ship up the River Suir and start putting some bombs under SIPTU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 manuka.1

There is lots of bashing of the union in here which is unfair. If you were at the meeting yesterday and listened you would know what they are looking for on behalf of their members. There are people in Solid Dose who want to transfer to inhalations. There are people from Inhalations who want to take the redundancy and leave. Simple solution, let the people who want to stay transfer to inhalations, they can take the place of the people in inhalations who want to leave. As it stands now the company have people who want to stay and people who want to leave. They want to keep the people who want to leave and let go the people who want to stay. Where's the logic in that? 35 inhalations workers want to leave and are not being allowed, so its not all about Solid Dose.

• Advertisement

manuka.1 wrote: »
    There is lots of bashing of the union in here which is unfair. If you were at the meeting yesterday and listened you would know what they are looking for on behalf of their members. There are people in Solid Dose who want to transfer to inhalations. There are people from Inhalations who want to take the redundancy and leave. Simple solution, let the people who want to stay transfer to inhalations, they can take the place of the people in inhalations who want to leave. As it stands now the company have people who want to stay and people who want to leave. They want to keep the people who want to leave and let go the people who want to stay. Where's the logic in that? 35 inhalations workers want to leave and are not being allowed, so its not all about Solid Dose.

I was at the meeting and like I said,there are lies and wrong-doings on both sides but the best compromise on things was the LRC recommendation. Neither party should expect to get things all their own way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement