Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations and help needed for first gun

Options
  • 22-05-2010 3:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm looking to buy my first gun and I have a few questions.

I'm just back from living in Czech Republic for a year(Irish citizen), and having developed an interest in shooting over there I'd very much like to continue it here. I'm hoping to move there permanently, but that doesn't look too likely to happen for another 3-5 years. Unfortunately I don't know too much about shooting in Ireland, though I've been doing my best to educate myself.

I'd like to buy a Remington 870 with a synthetic stock for shooting some clays and perhaps doing a little hunting down the road. I know many people would prefer to use an O/U or a semi auto for this, but having experienced shooting all three I found I enjoyed using a pump action the most, so thats what I'd like to go for. Could anyone recommend a firearms dealer to me? Around the Dublin area if possible, but I would be willing to drive if it means better customer service(I've heard some dealers can be a pain to deal with) and/or better pricing.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a range/club to me? Again, preferably within the Dublin area, but I would be willing to drive if it meant a better atmosphere etc. How much can I expect to pay?

Can I expect any issues with getting a license? My local garda station is Finglas if that makes a difference. I will be asking the dealer to plug the magazine so the gun will be unrestricted. I believe I will need a letter from the dealer to prove this? I will also be installing a safe in my house. Should this cover me?

I've been reading the FCA1 form and one of the requirements is proof of competence. What do I need to do for this? Would my experience shooting abroad be sufficient? Or would I have to attend some sort of class? If so, where could I attend such a class and how much would it cost? Also, who would be suitable to use for character referees?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate any help!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

zonny wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy my first gun and I have a few questions.

I'm just back from living in Czech Republic for a year(Irish citizen), and having developed an interest in shooting over there I'd very much like to continue it here. I'm hoping to move there permanently, but that doesn't look too likely to happen for another 3-5 years. Unfortunately I don't know too much about shooting in Ireland, though I've been doing my best to educate myself.

I'd like to buy a Remington 870 with a synthetic stock for shooting some clays and perhaps doing a little hunting down the road. I know many people would prefer to use an O/U or a semi auto for this, but having experienced shooting all three I found I enjoyed using a pump action the most, so thats what I'd like to go for. Could anyone recommend a firearms dealer to me? Around the Dublin area if possible, but I would be willing to drive if it means better customer service(I've heard some dealers can be a pain to deal with) and/or better pricing.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a range/club to me? Again, preferably within the Dublin area, but I would be willing to drive if it meant a better atmosphere etc. How much can I expect to pay?

Can I expect any issues with getting a license? My local garda station is Finglas if that makes a difference. I will be asking the dealer to plug the magazine so the gun will be unrestricted. I believe I will need a letter from the dealer to prove this? I will also be installing a safe in my house. Should this cover me?

I've been reading the FCA1 form and one of the requirements is proof of competence. What do I need to do for this? Would my experience shooting abroad be sufficient? Or would I have to attend some sort of class? If so, where could I attend such a class and how much would it cost? Also, who would be suitable to use for character referees?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate any help!

Cheers

You can do a competeance course through the NARGC
    UPCOMING SAFETY PROFICIENCY COURSES

May 22nd 2010 Tyrrellspass GAA Centre, Co. Westmeath - 9.30 am
    for reservations contact P. J. on 087.6740966

June 12th 2010 The Glenmalure Lodge, Co. Wicklow at 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact John on 087.6556785

June 26th 2010 Crover House Hotel, Mountnugent, Cavan - 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Sean on 087.4172243

July 3rd 2010 Deebert House Hotel, Kilmallock at 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Jim on 086.3468006

July 10th 2010 Village Hall, Camross, Co. Laois at 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact John on 086.2405316

July 24th 2010 The Courtyard Hotel, Ferms, Co. Wexford - 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Donal on 087.6371384

Aug. 21st 2010 The Club House Hotel, Kilkenny City - 9.30 a.m.
    for reservations contact Brendan on 086.2750873

Sept 11th 2010 The Parkway Hotel, Dunmanway, Co. Cork - 9.30 am
    for reservations contact Tim on 086.6031318

Sept. 12th 2010 The Parkway Hotel, Dunmanway, Co. Cork - 9.30 am
    for reservations contact Tim on 086.6031318

NOTE ANY PERSON HAVING DIFFICULTY OBTAINING ENTRY TO ANY OF THE ABOVE SCHEDULED COURSES SHOULD CONTACT THE SAFETY COMMITTEE SECRETARY ON 1800 222 444.

Finglas might have extra security requirements as it may be seen as a high risk security area. Contact your local garda station and ask first what they want as security requirements.

the fact that you are not currently in the country may be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It depends from place to place, but just informing the firearms officer that I have experience using various firearms both here and aborad was all that was needed for me. Are you a member of a clay club over there? Can you get any written proff of using firearms over there. It would be better if you could get something on paper, but as I said I just stated the above and it was enough for me. Speak to the FO about it before you go out and buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's a list of firearms dealers here.
    Courtlough in North Dublin looks to be closest for clays check here for a list of ranges. They have a website where you can check their rates.
    It's required in most districts. But best to check with your station first.
    Normally, if you've held a licence for at least a year that's proof enough of your competence. Your experience in the Czech Republic may be of help, but then again it's got a bit of a bad name in the press here due to scumbags allegedly going there for 'a bit of training'. The NARGC courses seem to have gained some level of acceptance among the Gardai to the extent that an air rifle shooter who's been National champion here many times was asked to do one :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zonny

Thanks for the replies lads

I'm going to call during the week to see if I can have a chat with my local FO to see what the story is, and I'll definitely be doing one of those NARGC courses just to be sure I have the competency requirement covered.

I can't see to get onto the Courtlough website, does anyone know if its down at the moment?

RRPC, I had seen that list of dealers, what I was really looking for is if anyone could recommend dealers they've had good experiences with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Thanks for the replies lads

I'm going to call during the week to see if I can have a chat with my local FO to see what the story is, and I'll definitely be doing one of those NARGC courses just to be sure I have the competency requirement covered.

I can't see to get onto the Courtlough website, does anyone know if its down at the moment?

RRPC, I had seen that list of dealers, what I was really looking for is if anyone could recommend dealers they've had good experiences with

James McBride Ballykeernan Athlone
    087 2696647

Open after 7.30PM

I've bought two 4 rifles off him 3 shotguns and a lot of gear,he's dead sound for dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zonny

James McBride Ballykeernan Athlone
    087 2696647

Open after 7.30PM

I've bought two 4 rifles off him 3 shotguns and a lot of gear,he's dead sound for dealing with.

Cheers I'll give him a call after I have a chat with my FO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Have a look on this previous thread too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055831037

Some discussion on who's hot and who's not!:D

Advertisement